League Cup 0
Europa League 0

Previous Seasons

Marouane Fellaini | Match Discussion thread 2015/16
Marouane Fellaini | Match Discussion thread 2014/15

Marouane Fellaini | Match Discussion thread 2013/14

Friendly: Manchester United 5-2 Galatasaray - 30th July 2016

Good header.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Community Shield: Leicester City 1-2 Manchester United - 7th August 2016

Surprised at him starting. Dropped a massive clinger. Still a poor player.

I thought he was okay apart from the error for Leicester's goal.

I also thought he was OK apart from the backpass but I really see him as plan b or c rather than a starter.

He was decent except for the error for their goal. He wasn't the worst player on the pitch for me.

He wasn't the worst but he really just doesn't influence games. He's very steady and very safe generally. He's a LVG type player and I guess will play a squad role.

Thought he was actually the best out of him, Carrick and Rooney today. But... that's still not good enough for me, technically just not good enough in my opinion to play in midfield. Useful in both penalty areas defending high balls in to the box or being a nuisance in the opposition area but anything in between is a disaster waiting to happen as we saw with their goal. Second touch often looks like it could end in a red card.

Yeah couldn't agree more. As a plan B there is probably value there but that's all he can be in this squad and to be honest I really think even that's a stretch.

A club of this size with the traditions that we have shouldn't keep a guy like this just as a plan B. He's far too limited and he just isn't good enough technically.

For me there's better defensive midfield players in the squad and there's certainly better attacking players. With Ibra in the team now we do have a target man so do we really need Fellaini?

Plan B with him last season rarely had an impact. Can only remember 1 goal he scored after coming on late in a game.

Tbf it's not just the scoring of the goals but causing some chaos when the balls launched into the box.

But do we not now have Ibra as shown yesterday who can do that?! He's a much better option because he can finish chances whereas Fellaini is literally just there to cause chaos and more often than not concedes free kicks.

I think you want to be carving chances for zlatan not just punting the ball up. Look I don't think fellaini is a great player by any means. If the club decide to get rid I can't say I would be shedding tears. However he does give us an option with his physicality when other options have failed. It doesn't matter how good a team you are if you get into the last 5 or 10 minutes and you need a goal you are going to start to go long.

I think you want to be carving chances for zlatan not just punting the ball up. Look I don't think fellaini is a great player by any means. If the club decide to get rid I can't say I would be shedding tears. However he does give us an option with his physicality when other options have failed. It doesn't matter how good a team you are if you get into the last 5 or 10 minutes and you need a goal you are going to start to go long.

OK here's my two points to this mate.

1) Jose likes to play with a target man. I'm not saying we will lump the ball up to him but he will be the focal point of the attack. It'll be him we look to when we cross the ball because he's the striker and biggest guy in there. For the most part yes I agree we want to mix it up but as he proved in the game yesterday he'll get on the end of crosses.

2) Lumping the ball forwards when in need of a goal has never been the way for us. It wasn't under Fergie and it shouldn't be now either. I remember that was something that Rooney said a few years ago. He said one of the big differences between United and other teams was having that patience and calmness. Knowing that late in a game if you need a goal you will have the ball. The opposition will drop deep naturally to try and see the game out. That gives you the ball in better areas where you need to be calm and keep playing your normal way. So I don't think we should be accepting that late in games we will just lump the ball forwards.

I think you are remembering with rose tinted glasses if you believe we didn't on occasion late in games go route one. There are several games when we have stuck smalling up top under fergie. Steve Bruce before that too. Of course it's not a tactic we like but sometimes needs must. There also may be times when we need him at the other end of the pitch if we are defending a lead. As I said earlier I am not trying to make a case for him starting games but to say he has absolutely no use in the squad I think is unfair

I think you are remembering with rose tinted glasses if you believe we didn't on occasion late in games go route one. There are several games when we have stuck smalling up top under fergie. Steve Bruce before that too. Of course it's not a tactic we like but sometimes needs must. There also may be times when we need him at the other end of the pitch if we are defending a lead. As I said earlier I am not trying to make a case for him starting games but to say he has absolutely no use in the squad I think is unfair

Maybe I am... It's certainly not the United way I remember but maybe I'm being kind. Also we still have Smalling, we have Jones and Ibra so why do we need Fellaini to play that target role? I know you aren't trying to make a case for him but I'm struggling to see what he brings that others can't or don't in a limited role? As you say it would only be if we are desperate.

Premier League: Bournemouth 1-3 Manchester United - 14th August 2016

He played well. Contender for man of the match.

He was good. Not man of the match good, but he is needed for matches and teams like today. Was very surprised with how well he tackled today.

Contender for man of the match?!

He played OK, didn't do a great deal wrong and was fairly solid in midfield.

But he was nowhere near MOTM. My other would probably have been:

Bailly, Blind, Ibra, Shaw, Valencia, FELLAINI

He was certainly better than Rooney who I thought other than the goal was pretty poor. He was better than Martial who really just drifted in and out of the game.

Obviously people will jump in straight away and say I'm bias against Fellaini... But I've tried to be subjective here. He played OK and did a job and Jose will love that.

But you can't come close to comparing him with the outstanding performance of Bailly or Blind. Shaw and Valencia offered a lot in attack and were solid in defense and Ibra led the line really well and his goal was so good.

Seems to be a new man under Mourinho, obviously it's just one game but if he can play consistent then he will be an asset. However he does have to do a lot to convince me of his worth after a couple of years of pure mediocrity!

Seems to be a new man under Mourinho, obviously it's just one game but if he can play consistent then he will be an asset. However he does have to do a lot to convince me of his worth after a couple of years of pure mediocrity!

I can't help but feel though that his couple of years of mediocrity are helping him with the fans... We are so used to seeing this big useless lump that as soon as he performs OK we jump all over it?

Was he bad yesterday? No far from it. He did his role well and played well.

But was he one of the best players? Not for me. He did what I'd expect a player in that role to do. He tried to get side to side and cover the midfield. He kept his passing simple and perhaps showed that he has a use to us as a squad player. But that's about all it is.

He's still very limited as a player. His touch isn't good and he's still very slow and ponderous on the ball with most passes going sideways or backwards. Yes he tries to get around and apply pressure but he's still slow and more often than not doesn't get close enough to the ball.

Honestly as a squad player sure he has a role to play. He can cover in a number of areas and I guess gives us a presence in both boxes... But if he's going to start every week? Well I think we might underwhelm this season.

Pure mediocrity is harsh. He hasn't been great, but he was one of the few players to perform on a consistent basis under Van Gaal.

His stats from yesterday: 76 passes (99% passing accuracy), 5 tackles won, 4 clearances, 3 aerial duels won, 3 blocks.

ACqXIgb.gif

Pure mediocrity is harsh. He hasn't been great, but he was one of the few players to perform on a consistent basis under Van Gaal.

His stats from yesterday: 76 passes, 5 tackles won, 4 clearances, 3 aerial duels won, 3 blocks.

I don't think mediocrity is that harsh... In fact I think for the most part it's quite kind. Other than in little spells he's been pretty dire for us. The fact that in the 3 seasons he's been with us we've been awful both to watch and in terms of results shows where this team has been at. And I'm not putting all the blame on him because it's not all his fault. He's just been a key symbol of our struggles.

He did what was required of him yesterday in a limited cautious role. He still contributes nothing to our attacking game. That was one of his best performances for us so I'm pleased for him on that front. And in playing the way he did yesterday I can see a squad role for him... That's a huge step forward in my view because I really wanted him out.

A big issue I have with him and I won't be able to shake is for me he epitomises everything that's been bad about this team. He's too slow, his passing is simple and safe, he cost far far too much money and we could of had him for even cheaper a few weeks earlier. Everything that's been bad and at times laughable about this team is kind of symbolised by Fellaini. And again it's not all his fault but he is kind of the face of where it all went wrong.

Fellaini has always been a curious one, he has games where he is good and games where he is poor. It's frustrating because he has all the attributes to be a beast, he's tall, he's strong and hasn't got the worst footballing skills. However games often pass him by. I don't think saying he has been mediocre is harsh but this is time to nail down a spot. I think Jose fancies him in the team and could well line up alongside Pogba for a bit.

The only problem with fellaini is that he is an easy outlet of anger for our fans. He has performed decently over the last two seasons. But it's easy to criticize him for all our poor play and make him out to be the reason for everything that's gone wrong with the club over the period. But doing so would mean that you absolve everyone else of all blame, which in my opinion is wrong. He has been one of our better players in recent years and we have to find him credit for that.

The only problem with fellaini is that he is an easy outlet of anger for our fans. He has performed decently over the last two seasons. But it's easy to criticize him for all our poor play and make him out to be the reason for everything that's gone wrong with the club over the period. But doing so would mean that you absolve everyone else of all blame, which in my opinion is wrong. He has been one of our better players in recent years and we have to find him credit for that.

Whilst I agree that Fellaini does take a lot of the blame and that isn't right... I just can't agree that he's been one of our better players and has performed decently. He's been really poor for the most part with the odd decent performance here and there. He's yet to really take a game and truly dominate! Whilst he's not been the worst performer he does encapsulate everything that has gone wrong since Fergie left. And that is a tag that I don't think he will shake.

Premier League: Manchester United 2-0 Southampton - 19th August 2016

Another fine performance.

I'd have to go with that, though he was good tonight and for me to say that is a big thing.

He isn't ever going to be my favourite player and I'd still rather Carrick in there... But right now he's playing well and so Jose can't take him out.

Thought he got around well, protected the back 4 and kept it simple. And if he does that regularly then he'll do OK for this team.

Still think as the season progresses Jose will need to revisit the midfield situation. Certainly in home games against teams we should be beating I'd like to see us go a little bit more positive in formation and not play such a defensive midfielder... But it was Pogba's first game so he probably felt he needed the support.

He was good tonight. He is proving his detractors wrong with each fine game he plays.

I think Jose is getting 5% more out of most players. In fellainis case I think he has made it as uncomplicated as possible. He knows exactly what is job is and is doing it well. Doesn't have to be a playmaker or score goals, leave that to the more talented players.

I think that's the thing... Put him out there to sit, tackle and be a nuisance and he can and will do that. Ask him to do more and it's not going to happen. Fellaini was kind of like our destroyer yesterday and if he can play that role he'll be a regular. In fairness he did always say it was his best position.

Didn't know he could be so good in midfield. Mourinho is getting the best out of him and others. Physically our midfield looks very imposing now with 2 players who are both about 6ft3in.

Premier League: Hull City 0-1 Manchester United - 27th August 2016

Another fine performance, especially in the second half.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back