Marko Arnautovic

Edgy1968

Sky Sports reporting that we are interested in signing Arnautovic who West Ham value over 50m, I'm pretty speechless at this, praying it's not true!

50m and the guy is 29 years of age!

Thoughts?

If we play anywhere near £50m plus for Arnatouvic someone is getting assassinated

I wouldn't pay anything for him, I wouldn't even swap Fellaini for him.

This has to be a joke.

Apparently Jose watching Austria vs Russia tonight. Presumably to tie up the Arnautovic deal after the match? ;)

Oh imagine the reactions in here....

West Ham signed him for 24m last summer and he’s had a good season plus transfer inflation post Neymar sadly 50m is probably about right as mad as that is.

I like him but thought he was younger than 29 so that plus the fact I don’t think he’d cope mentally with being a backup means I wouldn’t touch him.

He is the classic needs to be the big fish in a small pond player.

If we are bringing in a striker it needs to be someone who’s used to being a sub and playing that impact role.

I read it was a smokescreen, Jose was watching a Russian CM who Chelsea are after

He's also working for Russian TV during the summer as a pundit so he might have just wanted to know how the team plays and watch a few of the players.

Considering we are looking for a backup striker going for one who wil cost 50m who the manager had problems with as a youngster at Inter seems a bit far fetched and sounds like a stories to help the bookies.

I mean at this point... I'm not sure I care. He's not going to be a regular even with that price tag and it's not like it's our money. It seems like a waste of money personally but hey this is football so I'm at the point where nothing surprises me.

The way I see it is based on his ability would he be a useful player for what we need, I'd say yes because he can play up top on his own so he'd be a like for like replacement for Lukaku and he can also fill in out wide but he seems like an odd player to target for that role given his importance to West Ham and the fee/wages involved.

Spurs picked up Llorente for £15m & Chelsea got Giroud for £15m if Utd want to get a player of that type as backup to Lukaku surely you look for a value for money signing rather than an expensive guy.

For example Bas Dost is probably going to leave Sporting Lisbon this summer you'd get him for half the figure they're talking about for Arnautovic and there must be other strikers in Europe with only 12 months on their deal who could be a cheap backup.

For example Bas Dost is probably going to leave Sporting Lisbon this summer you'd get him for half the figure they're talking about for Arnautovic and there must be other strikers in Europe with only 12 months on their deal who could be a cheap backup.
There is good value out there if you look hard enough. Any player moving from somewhere like West Ham to United are going to be expensive. Smaller clubs are no longer strapped for cash so are going to not let their players go for nothing. I could think of lots of strikers who we could get for cheaper than £50m. To be honest I would prefer to go for Mandzukic as a back up, he definitely wouldn’t cost £50m. But hey ho not our money but I happen to think this Arnautovic talk is a lot of rumour but not a lot of substance.

It feels like any striker we buy will cost 50m a club sees Utd and they see £££ signs so unless we find one with a release clause, 12 months on his deal, contract expired or just club want him out it’s going to be tough.

I like Mandzukic who is the other name rumoured to be on the list of targets which so far is 2 players.

I just still can't get my head around this signing. It makes no sense to me and essentially pushes Rashford even further down the pecking order at the striker position. Honestly I don't know what to feel about this kind of transfer business.

@RichH2016 he's basically a replacement for Zlatan as the backup striker and reading between the lines if Mourinho is looking for a backup striker it's because he doesn't think Rashford or Martial are good enough for that role. We all remember those why always Lukaku quotes after Brighton and you could tell he was furious with the performance of certain players on that night.

That's done to put a player on the backfoot and see how he reacts and if he didn't get the reaction he wants it might be he's decided he needs to gets someone else to do the job.

I think the link makes sense in terms of a guy who can lead the line playing as a lone striker he's probably the best in the prem outside the big 6, the only other one I like is Rondon but he doesn't score enough goals, Murray is probably a bit to old. Vardy is the best striker outside the top 6 but he's not really the type of striker Mourinho goes for.

If you're making a list of options it makes sense to put the best one in your current league on it doesn't mean he's the first choice.

I feel like these rumours have quietened down a little over the last couple of weeks and to me that is definitely good news.

I can see why we might have shown an interest if we are looking for a backup striker apart from Vardy he's probably the best outside the top 6 in England but if West Ham value him at 50m then you can see why we've cooled interest.

Ability wise I think he ticks a lot of the boxes but I think his attitude would be a problem at Utd as he wouldn't be a starter.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back