Marcus Rashford MBE

Sideshow Bob

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Great honour for him what he’s done for these kids is incredible used his name for good helping others rather than himself to the fruits of being a famous footballer.

Will they put Rashford MBE on the back of his shirt?

Many congratulations, thoroughly deserved.
Too often the honours system is a joke. This time many people who are deserving are being recognised.
No, it won’t appear on his shirt.

He is now making tweets like "All eyes on the government", "this aint going away and neither am I".
There was always a danger he would get carried away with this. At this point I think he should be taking advice on how far he goes with the politics.

I certainly think he’s getting support from some people who know what they’re talking about feeding him the correct stats that can’t be challenged but he’s been one of these poor hungry kids so if he wants to try and make a change he should see it through.

Right now he’s running rings around these MPs and they don’t like it kids should not be going hungry

Well if he wants things to change he should keep banging his drum they don’t have to listen but he’s trying to make a difference for people who genuinely need help and haven’t been given the right help for a long time.

MPs asked footballers to chip in during lockdown looks like they’ve bitten off more than they can chew with Marcus.

It’s high risk the establishment don’t like being challenged and their usual dogs will be out sniffing out any dirt that might exist on him so it could blow up in his face if there is any dirt.

You can’t honour him with an MBE for what he’s done then turn on him for keeping up the good work making sure that those already in tough positions don’t suffer further during the economic fallout of Covid.

I thinks it great if people can use their celebrity for worthy causes.

After watching the Tory MP refuse to deal with the issue of hungry kids by trotting out the abject argument about not nationalising children, I fail to see how anyone could disagree with Rashford's stance.

He believes in something that is a direct result of his history. Maybe he believes he can help kids. Keep going Marcus; never let the blue rinses put you off.
Err, am I being called a blue rinse here? Where's this head honcho that's suddenly made an appearance to sort this shit out!!

After watching the Tory MP refuse to deal with the issue of hungry kids by trotting out the abject argument about not nationalising children, I fail to see how anyone could disagree with Rashford's stance.
Tell you where I am with this and I really am happy to be corrected. Do we really have starving children in this country in this day and age?

I was born in the mid 60s, my first 5 years of life (and believe me I have memories of this) were in slum conditions although it didn't actually feel that way at the time in a Glasgow tenement building earmarked for demolition. I only say slum conditions on reflection. Old Glasgow tenement buildings that were thrown up everywhere during the late 1800s to 1920 to cope with the massive population rise as Glasgow became the second city during the Industrial Revolution and needed to house all the Paddy's and Highlanders who flocked to Glasgow for the work.
Anyhows, I was actually born in this gaff that my family had moved into when my father came out the army which he served in since 16yrs old (he was 44 when I was born and already had my 6yr old brother).
Its clear to me now that he struggled somewhat without the army and he was a tough old whatyoumecallit? its also clear to me now that my mother had a bit of a problem with alcohol. So, living in slum conditions with parents who had issues they needed to deal with was normal to me and as crazy as it may sound you find your own coping mechanism. This place had a shared toilet on the landing with 2 other households and no bathroom. A largish sink was what we had for washing.
We then moved to a much better place when I was 6 - two bedrooms an inside toilet and a bath. The post war years were obviously getting better. Its from that point that I recall getting school dinners, that presumably were free. There was nothing special about them but presumably the were considered a balanced diet for that age group at the time.

Getting back to food - from those early days I remember pieces (sandwich) in dripping (animal fat) Jam, or butter and sugar. Meals were simple enough such as mince and tatties and there was always plenty of bread on the table to sook up the gravy. tea and toast and porridge was perfectly acceptable as breakfast. A sardine on toast would have done fine for an evening snack. Homemade soup would always have been a cheap meal with a slice or two of bread.
Such meals are wholesome, nutritional and cheap. I don't recall feeling deprived of nutrition as a kid and I am not convinced the government in this day in age set out to leave children hungry.
I think it is more likely we have too many lazy fat arses in the country who have become overly reliant on the benefits system and have a warped idea of what they are actually entitled to.
Instead of having the expectancy that the state will pay for them and their children to eat Tesco's Finest Range cottage pie, maybe they should invest a little of their free time (that they expect everyone else to pay for) learning how to prepare the same dish for a fraction of the price.
I do exactly that.
Even now when I go on my weight watching moments and start eating healthily I notice that it is actually cheap to eat healthily. It's eating unhealthily that is costly.

Tell you where I am with this and I really am happy to be corrected. Do we really have starving children in this country in this day and age?

Yes we do. Your comments are so far removed from the reality of life that I think you've found yourself detached from the very problem Marcus is trying to deal with. Much like the MP's Marcus is trying to educate.

We also have an insanely high homelessness rate. Something else you wouldn't expect to be true in this day and age. 220k people last year were threatened with homelessness. 1 in 52* people in London are homeless. That should give you an idea of how poverty striken people still are 'in this day and age'. The fact charities are relied on to do the work instead of our government stepping up is a major issue. Though maybe you could blame the homelessness on 'lazy fat asses' instead of realizing we have a major problem with the way we view and treat the poor in this country.

*As of December 2019. Pre-Covid. The situation is probably even worse now.

Just heard what Brendan Clarke Smith said. Wow...

Tories must be losing thousands of voters by the day at the moment.

Yes we do. Your comments are so far removed from the reality of life that I think you've found yourself detached from the very problem Marcus is trying to deal with. Much like the MP's Marcus is trying to educate.

We also have an insanely high homelessness rate. Something else you wouldn't expect to be true in this day and age. 220k people last year were threatened with homelessness. 1 in 52* people in London are homeless. That should give you an idea of how poverty striken people still are 'in this day and age'. The fact charities are relied on to do the work instead of our government stepping up is a major issue. Though maybe you could blame the homelessness on 'lazy fat asses' instead of realizing we have a major problem with the way we view and treat the poor in this country.

*As of December 2019. Pre-Covid. The situation is probably even worse now.
Nope, homelessness is a completely different issue and it can be very difficult to get out of once you are in that predicament. I have been there and understand it totally. Marcus Rashford hasn’t and that is not what his campaign is about.
My comments are aimed at families and single parent families who are holed up in perfectly adequate council accommodation and on benefits, many of whom have chosen that life style and settled for it and they will fight for anything that is free while making no effort to improve their own circumstances to get into the unenviable position of actually being able to pay for something.
Many of them are obese and that in itself tells the story.

lets say all of what you say is true, which I don't think is the case myself, is it the childs fault its parents are irresponsible?

Every child should have a decent well balanced diet as a minimum.

But that isn't what Rashfords campaign is solely about and a massive point you're missing.

There are households I know of where both parents work and yet they rely on Food Banks.

Two full time working people on minimum wage between them would take home £2,524. Say you've got a 5 yr old and a 2 yr old. The cost of private renting is sky high and we have a lack of social housing. A tiny two bedroom house for the 4 people say the rent is £1,300. Nursury cost £800. Council tax £200. Electric+Gas in the winter £150. This is before you have even factored in travel to work, childrens clothes and any food. I've given you an every day situation currently on going for many families. Then do all this but take away the second parent and then say it's because they're lazy. It's simply not the case is most instances. Most the time people do not want to be on benefits. There'll be the odd cases that do but most don't.

You can see why people can't survive and they're actually better off not working and claiming benefits?

I've lived this. At one point growing up we done the calculations and would have been better off by £30 a week if my Mum quit her job. (She didn't have time to go and qualify until after the kids had grown up)

People, especially in the current climate are struggling to make ends meet. To turn down kids a hot meal a day which should be a basic right for any kid is ridiculous.

lets say all of what you say is true, which I don't think is the case myself, is it the childs fault its parents are irresponsible?

Every child should have a decent well balanced diet as a minimum.
No it certainly isn't the child's fault but in such cases maybe a campaign for responsible parenting would be best.
I agree every child should have a well balanced diet and that is achievable cheaply. Cheaper than the diets many of them are on that make them obese.

But that isn't what Rashfords campaign is solely about and a massive point you're missing.

There are households I know of where both parents work and yet they rely on Food Banks.

Two full time working people on minimum wage between them would take home £2,524. Say you've got a 5 yr old and a 2 yr old. The cost of private renting is sky high and we have a lack of social housing. A tiny two bedroom house for the 4 people say the rent is £1,300. Nursury cost £800. Council tax £200. Electric+Gas in the winter £150. This is before you have even factored in travel to work, childrens clothes and any food. I've given you an every day situation currently on going for many families. Then do all this but take away the second parent and then say it's because they're lazy. It's simply not the case is most instances. Most the time people do not want to be on benefits. There'll be the odd cases that do but most don't.

You can see why people can't survive and they're actually better off not working and claiming benefits?

I've lived this. At one point growing up we done the calculations and would have been better off by £30 a week if my Mum quit her job. (She didn't have time to go and qualify until after the kids had grown up)

People, especially in the current climate are struggling to make ends meet. To turn down kids a hot meal a day which should be a basic right for any kid is ridiculous.
I don't doubt there are many geniune cases of hardship but there is a flip side which I am highlighting.
Electric+Gas in the winter £150
Thats a ridiculous thing to be highlighting. The room I shared with my brother didnt have any heating at all. In the winter the hot water bottle went in the bed a half hour before we did and I had an army greatcoat over me acting as a bedspread. No harm done at all. If they are able to use £150 a month on fuel they really arent doing too bad at all.
And there you have it. People are already being supported so as they are better off than they would be if they went to work. If you are depending on the state to support you through life you have no entitlement to expect luxuries or the life of Riley. You will need to budget, prioritise and sometimes go without. That's a simple fact of life.
I would never suggest turning down a hot meal a day to a kid. But that can be achieved cheaply. Like I said before, you will find many of them are obese.

I would never suggest turning down a hot meal a day to a kid. But that can be achieved cheaply. Like I said before, you will find many of them are obese.
You're making a massive generalization about something you clearly have no clue about. Detached from the reality of living in the real world. Enjoy that bottle of red with your expensive dinner whilst moaning about a kid getting a hot meal from the government. (That they should be getting anyway but too many people share your views on the poor and lack basic empathy)

I've volunteered at a food bank on Saturday mornings for years. You're so wrong.

You're making a massive generalization about something you clearly have no clue about. Detached from the reality of living in the real world. Enjoy that bottle of red with your expensive dinner whilst moaning about a kid getting a hot meal from the government. (That they should be getting anyway but too many people share your views on the poor and lack basic empathy)
Are you denying that many of these kids are obese due to a very poor diet and over eating?

Kids are obese for a number of reasons but normally it starts from poor eating habits of parents being passed down to kids not just the kids that are obese in this country. Quick easy meals/snacks loaded with rubbish being given to kids rather than a proper balanced diet. This goes alongside a lack of exercise for a lot of kids who apart from a couple of hours of PE a week in school get very little exercise.

How many kids relying on a free school meal do you think are likely to be obese?

Are you denying that many of these kids are obese due to a very poor diet and over eating?

I'm saying the majority of kids that rely on food banks and free school dinners are very unlikely to be obese.

I'm telling you you're wrong with your generalisation that most people on benefits are obese too.

Kids are obese for a number of reasons but normally it starts from poor eating habits of parents being passed down to kids not just the kids that are obese in this country. Quick easy meals/snacks loaded with rubbish being given to kids rather than a proper balanced diet. This goes alongside a lack of exercise for a lot of kids who apart from a couple of hours of PE a week in school get very little exercise.

How many kids relying on a free school meal do you think are likely to be obese?
And that is the point I made above about responsible parenting.
If a kid is going hungry, I would certainly like to think the parents are hungry also in which case a free school meal isn't the answer. The whole family need to be further means tested and supported so as none of them are hungry.
They should also be given some educational advice on life skills, including how to eat a nutritious diet with their children and avoid junk food. As I have said before these junk (chicken nuggets, burgers, doners etc) diets are actually an expensive way to eat. A healthy diet is relatively cheap.

I'm saying the majority of kids that rely on food banks and free school dinners are very unlikely to be obese.

I'm telling you you're wrong with your generalisation that most people on benefits are obese too.
Another side to this is, if I suspected any of my friends or even neighbours were struggling to this extent I would do something about it. Friends, family and even just neighbours are bona fida ways of dealing with these social issues.

I've volunteered at a food bank on Saturday mornings for years. You're so wrong.
I have just had my tea and settling down to the telly I found the programme Eat Well For Less to be on. It prompted me to work out how much my tea cost. Here it is:
I had salmon fillet with baby potatoes, broccoli, peas and a couple of carrots which needed using up. I pan fried the salmon in oil adding lime juice and grating a bit of ginger into the mix, The potatoes were boiled and tossed in a knob of butter and a chopped spring onion. This meals approx cost was £2.35 and that was without even thinking about it or trying. Trying I guess I could knock up a healthy cooked meal for 30 bob.
Oh, and I will save the bottle of red until Saturday, when United are playing (unless it is an early kick off) you can be sure I will be having a drink. It's what I do.
Had I been cooking for a family of 4 I could have done that meal for around a fiver.

How much was your salmon fillet?

Mainly because either your portions are tiny or your math is incorrect.

Though I do find it amusing you don't understand just how poor people are that they don't have £35 spare plus breakfast and lunch during a pandemic when not allowed to work or made redundant in many instances. This isn't being asked to be extended forever. Until restrictions have been lifted.

To vote against it has caused an embarrassment.

Another side to this is, if I suspected any of my friends or even neighbours were struggling to this extent I would do something about it. Friends, family and even just neighbours are bona fida ways of dealing with these social issues.

How poor is a nation when you can't rely on a government but need to rely on neighbours?

For the record though you have no clue on 90% of your neighbours, friends or families situation. You know what they tell you. That's why food banks exist. If you want to help make regular donations.

Would you reach out to your neighbour if you were struggling?

I thought that was just here after shoot posted that. About 4e a fillet. So that's 16e just on the fish for 4

How much was your salmon fillet?

Mainly because either your portions are tiny or your math is incorrect.

Though I do find it amusing you don't understand just how poor people are that they don't have £35 spare plus breakfast and lunch during a pandemic when not allowed to work or made redundant in many instances. This isn't being asked to be extended forever. Until restrictions have been lifted.

To vote against it has caused an embarrassment.
I caught the salmon in the River Tweed when I was in Scotland last week

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back