Marcus Rashford | Match Discussion thread 2019/20

Status
Not open for further replies.
He’s a striker for certain games he needs space to operate in very few teams will give him that luxury and he needs to play in a 2.

For the games where teams sit deep he needs to be out wide I don’t think he’ll ever be an effective centre forward in those games.... not convinced Martial is either by the way.

Utd need a flat track bully striker who’s just going to pummel the weaker sides and punish bad defences.

Don’t know if you watched the interview with Ole before the game. Worth a watch but Ole said ‘he’s a striker that can play left and right but he needs to be facing goal and running the channels.’

James for me is the signing of the season so far in the league though. I was expecting very little from this kid. But he’s a brave and tough man with speed and potential that match.

Premier League: Norwich City 1-3 Manchester United - 27th October 2019

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

He’ll be annoyed at another penalty miss was a decent save but not close enough to the corner so still more work needed.

Lovely finish for his goal kept his cool and slotting between the keepers legs

Two in two. Nice little bounce back Rashford. Now got to get a good run going. Martial back so should he play from the left?

League Cup: Chelsea 1-2 Manchester United - 30th October 2019

It’s an absolute wonder goal. But we’ve got to be making more of our set pieces.

Having James and Martial we’re going to earn plenty of them. Can only imagine he’s smashing these in in training that’s why he’s still on them but it has to be more than 1 every 6 months from him with the amount of free kicks we should get.

4 in 3 now? If we get Martial and Rashford playing with confidence we’re a side that can win games regularly.

It feels like it’s about 1 in every 100 that go in but my god when he hits them right they’re a thing of beauty.

Yeah think some thought it hit the wall on first viewing the replays show it cleared the wall by a mile.

Rashford actually credited the ball they use in the cup apparently it’s easier to get the movement on the ball and keep it down.

The ball they use in the league apparently is harder to control

Honestly I thought it had hit the wall at first but after a few replays it was just the dip and movement on the ball.

Europa League: Manchester United 3-0 Partizan Belgrade - 7th November 2019

Think he's just going to be one of those wasteful player but in a good side he'll always get plenty of chances and he's a goal threat definitely looks more of a winger than a centre forward.

Could he be a potential solution as the number 10 not in the traditional pick the lock kind of player but more just a rampaging guy.

He looks a much better player when not being the centre forward. Starting to link up well with Martial.

I was reading the BBC feed for the match, sounded like he missed a few sitters early on. He needs to improve his finishing for sure.

Think he's just going to be one of those wasteful player but in a good side he'll always get plenty of chances and he's a goal threat definitely looks more of a winger than a centre forward.

Could he be a potential solution as the number 10 not in the traditional pick the lock kind of player but more just a rampaging guy.

2 years ago you’d have said similar about Sterling. Regarding plenty of chances but too wasteful.

2 years ago you’d have said similar about Sterling. Regarding plenty of chances but too wasteful.

Yeah and we all hope that he can be more ruthless if he makes that step like Sterling did he'll go from a good player to a great player but we don't 100% know if he'll make that step.

Salah isn't exactly clinical and I'm not really convinced Sterling is either he's certainly better than he was 2 or 3 years ago but he still misses a lot of chances but he's getting 4 or 5 chances a game a lot of the time this is what we need to get Rashford to be doing.

Premier League: Manchester United 3-1 Brighton & Hove Albion - 10th November 2019

Yeah thought he was excellent and a more clinical finisher would have easily had a hat-trick today. However, the signs are promising that him and Martial are linking well. From where he was against the likes of West Ham and Newcastle where he looked lost upfront, this is a million times better.

Agreed. Felt we saw the identity we have been calling for taking shape today. Obviously long way to go and I am sure there will be disappointing performances along the way but maybe some light at the end of the tunnel

Haven't seen the highlights yet only listened on the radio but sounds like he ripped them apart and could easily have had a hat trick.

Seems pretty clear that he's much better either in a front 2 or as a wide player doesn't like being the lone man up top.

Seems pretty clear that he's much better either in a front 2 or as a wide player doesn't like being the lone man up top
Agreed. He's got the skill to beat players, the ability to score goals and create chances but he's not a natural striker. His finishing isn't great and he needs to link up with others.

I don't like making the comparison for obvious reasons but for the first 3 years at Utd Ronaldo's finishing was horrendous but then suddenly every clicked into place and he became much more clinical and year after year it improved.

Now I'm not saying the same will happen with Rashford but you'd hope over time he'll continue to sharpen up his game.

I just don't think he likes that lone centre forward role playing back to goal and linking the play he wants to be facing the goal and running at the opponent with the ball.

I do wonder if there might be a role for him as the number 10 playing just off the striker in the Ole system

Great performance tonight for England, really hitting his stride this season now.

Great performance tonight for England, really hitting his stride this season now.
Yeah from what I saw he was superb. Linked up with others, scored, went past players. He looked like someone full of confidence again.

This is him right now he needs to find that consistency where rather than being 5 games on 5 games off he’s 8 games on 2 games off in terms of form. Those runs of bad form need to be shortened and that comes with experience when you make a mistake rather than dwell on it you forget about it and keep practising the right things in training to sharpen the skills.

I’ve changed my mind I don’t think he’s a striker but I do think he can become a very productive wide forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back