Marcus Rashford | Match Discussion thread 2017/18

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’ve heard about this ego as well but it could be a good thing as he will need that to shield himself from the critics all top players have an ego, even Messi before anyone tries to suggest he doesn’t.

He’s maturing and becoming a bit more ballsy and some of that probably will need to be reigned in but other parts will need to be embraced to give him the focus you need to make it to the very top as this kid has a real chance to do that.

I do hope this ego stuff isn’t something coming out of the tabloids similar to what happened with Sterling and is happening to Alli a bit now. The young rich black man buys nice things shame on him stuff that has disturbing undertones to it.

Rash Ford is having a much better season this year than last year so I’m not to worried and he seems to embrace the responsibility rather than hide from it.

Yeah agree with @jsp as all top players have to have that ego, that will to want to be better than everyone else etc., just needs to stop trying to run before he can walk as it is costing us in games that we can't afford it to.

When were 3-0 up then by all means smash in mental free kicks etc. but when your 2-0 down and your smashing balls out for throw ins rather than putting it in the box, needs to mature in that regard, that will come but at the moment his decisions are costing us good scoring opportunities at times when they are needed.

He just needs to be taken out of the starting line up for a few weeks. He has been frustrating me for about 6 weeks now tbh. I think it strengthens us to have matial playing atm and taking rashford out gives him chance to reflect and maybe even bring him down a peg.

Yeah agree with @jsp as all top players have to have that ego, that will to want to be better than everyone else etc., just needs to stop trying to run before he can walk as it is costing us in games that we can't afford it to.

When were 3-0 up then by all means smash in mental free kicks etc. but when your 2-0 down and your smashing balls out for throw ins rather than putting it in the box, needs to mature in that regard, that will come but at the moment his decisions are costing us good scoring opportunities at times when they are needed.

I think his style of taking a free kick will be wild and not get a lot of results it’s the Ronaldo 1 in 10 style where you hit it as hard as you can and hope that physics takes over and the ball does crazy things that deceive the keeper. Get it wrong though and you look a right tit.

For me Pogba should be on all free kicks that are central and shooting options from wide I don’t mind Rashford as he hits then in hard whipping them towards the back post but that style you hit the ball just a bit to high or low and it’ll either slam Into the wall or end up in the stands.

I think the experienced senior lads need to step up like Mata has so we can afford to take him out of the team even though he’s out of form and frustrating everyone he’s still doing more than Mhiki or Ibra so it’s hard to drop him as we don’t have lots of options.

FA Cup: Manchester United 2-0 Derby County - 5th January 2018

I thought he was mostly frustrating. I think he could do with a couple of weeks out of the limelight.

Think a rest would do him good apparently the team are off to Dubai next week for a few days as long as Stoke don’t draw in the cup.

Personally I’d try and give him the night off vs Stoke regardless almost his own mid season break because he’s got a World Cup in the summer we don’t want to burn him out.

I’m not worried about his performances just a tough run on form hit the post twice last night, should’ve scored 1 but the positive is when he misses he doesn’t hide he’s there to take the next one and the next one which is what top strikers do.

Give him the next 2 games off if possible and a start upfront vs Yeovil.

Give him the next 2 games off if possible and a start upfront vs Yeovil.
Would be my call too. He looks tired physically and maybe a little mentally too, he burst into the scene and he hasn’t had a moments rest since. I know this is the life of a footballer but maybe he just needs a couple of games off to clear his mind and get some freshness back into his game.

Get him fresh and a shot upfront where he's more likely to get a goal to get his confidence up.

I'd have him starting on Monday vs Stoke along with Martial and get Lingard in behind Lukaku.

He's had a rest he played well vs Derby but the shots just didn't hit the back of the net and he's had a nice break in Dubai so hopefully he's feeling fresh we don't have a game mid week next week either so I think there's no reason not to pick him.

We aren't blessed with a lot of choice so if he didn't play we'd be looking at either Mata or Mhiki from the start and while Mata is in good form I'd be looking for him to come off the bench if we need someone to pick the lock later in the game get the young guns on there and go at them hell for leather from the start. This is the team with the worst defence in the league so we should be able to force them into mistakes and get a good win.

Premier League: Burnley 0-1 Manchester United - 20th January 2018

That was a poor cameo.

With Sanchez coming in, a prolonged spell on the bench is likely for Rashford and it's probably needed.

Get him on the bench and give him games up the middle in the cup resting Lukaku to keep him fresh for league & CL also give him some chances off the bench.

Sanchez coming takes a lot of pressure off him which I think is a good thing way to much on this kids shoulders, more than I think he’s ready for.

FA Cup: Yeovil Town v Manchester United - 26th January 2018

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

As I said before, was only half watching so can't comment on his overall performance but seemed to do well and the goal would have done him the world of good.

With Sanchez coming in, i'd like to see his time playing out wide cut down and would like to see him used more as backup to Lukaku. Offers something different to Lukaku upfront and that would be really good.

Anyone know the status on this guy?

Checked Physioroom they've got him down as fit to return next weekend but not always 100% reliable. Any chance he's available for the Sevilla trip?

I think both him and Herrera were short term they only just missed out on the Newcastle trip so hopefully they're both back at the weekend.

If he's fit hopefully he starts vs Huddersfield in the cup.

Guess we'll find out more in the manager press conference tomorrow.

Premier League: Manchester United 2-1 Liverpool - 10th March 2018

Fantastic finishes and was great first half but faded a bit 2nd half as he was pushed back as Liverpool went for it.

Great to have him back after injury.

Got stuck on the right when Lukaku come on last night. Cut inside and had a shot with his left. Tracked back. Still made positive runs. If lukaku and Alexis get 2 of the spots up front then is Rashford ahead of Lingard and Martial for that position on the right? Did he do enough last night? Or is Jose thinking Lingard because he brought him off early?

I think at the moment Jesse offers us more. I'd like to see more of Rashford coming on for Lukaku but he just doesn't have the goals at the moment.

I think I'd start Lingard on the right and then take hm off, switch Sanchez to the right and bring on Martial or Rashford.

I think in the bigger games Jesse probably still edges in but not by a lot if Rashford can tidy up a few bits of his game so he can play from the right in 12 months time he could easily nail down that position.

Still think long term his future is in the middle and good to see him in there last night for 60 minutes feels like he needed that as he's not had much time up the middle this season and he forces us to play a slightly different way as you can't really hit him as a target man like you can Lukaku instead he gives you a lot more running in behind.

Still think long term his future is in the middle and good to see him in there last night for 60 minutes feels like he needed that as he's not had much time up the middle this season and he forces us to play a slightly different way as you can't really hit him as a target man like you can Lukaku instead he gives you a lot more running in behind.
If his long term future is in the middle then it probably won’t be for us. We have Lukaku and he is still young himself and I don’t think Jose will be looking to replace him anytime soon. I think eventually Rashford will be ready and good enough to play week in week out up top.

Personally Rash has amazing potential to get better and better, I would still describe him as raw because he still does silly things and tries to do too much on the ball. I would love to see him leading the line for United for the next 10 years but he has Lukaku in his way and it’s gonna be either or - not both.

I still dont see him as a main out and out striker. I think that goal he scored against Liverpool where he chopped back onto his right and bend it in sums up what type of player I see him as.

I don't think his deadly enough in front of goal yet to get a run up top

I don't think his deadly enough in front of goal yet to get a run up top
Yeah for sure. That’s why I stated he was still raw in a number of areas. I actually think he’s a good finisher but when he has to long to think about it I think he struggles. But if he can improve his all round finishing I think he can be deadly for us.

If his long term future is in the middle then it probably won’t be for us. We have Lukaku and he is still young himself and I don’t think Jose will be looking to replace him anytime soon. I think eventually Rashford will be ready and good enough to play week in week out up top.

Personally Rash has amazing potential to get better and better, I would still describe him as raw because he still does silly things and tries to do too much on the ball. I would love to see him leading the line for United for the next 10 years but he has Lukaku in his way and it’s gonna be either or - not both.

It's sad but you are probably right he's still only 20 and I don't see Lukaku as the answer for us for 10 years he might do 3-4 seasons before moving on to something else but the issue is Rashford needs to be getting more minutes in a central position.

If he wants to be playing now not just at Utd but also for England I'd be looking at working on playing as a right winger to do that he'd need to get used to going outside and crossing the ball but also strengthen his shooting off his left foot for when he does come inside. You can still be an effective player playing right side as a right footer it's just a slightly different style.

That spot is wide open at Utd for him to take if he can learn the role and if Lukaku is gone in a few seasons time there's a chance he'd get the central role at 23-24.

He's still a very rough diamond he's nowhere near as polished as other youngsters like Jesus or Mbappe but the talent is there it just needs a bit of patience and hard work on the training pitch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back