Marcus Rashford | Match Discussion thread 2017/18

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just felt it was one of those days where he couldn't make anything happen. I'd have actually had him off at HT for Martial.

I think Martial deserves to start in both the cup game and the next league game. He's playing to well. He got 5 mins yesterday and managed to make something happen.

There is an argument though to say that Martial is more effective as a sub than as a starter.

I'd like to see him & Rashford start midweek playing up front together, they did it once or twice in the cup last season so would be nice to see it given another go.

League Cup: Manchester United 3-0 Burton Albion - 20th September 2017

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Champions League: Benfica 0-1 Manchester United - 18th October 2017

Set pieces were very good tonight clearly targeted the young keeper and tried to put him under pressure.

Hopefully the injury that forced him off isn't to serious but even minor injuries these days are 2 weeks.

Premier League: Huddersfield 2-1 Manchester United - 21st October 2017

Great cross from Lukaku, we need more of this from others. I feel like Rashford is about to really burst through, poor delivery from wide and lack of creativity with Pogba out is holding him back. Mkhi started well but has fallen off massively since Pogba got injured. Having watched Perisic last weekend in the Milan derby I can see why Mourinho wanted him, consistently good delivery from wide that we lack in all 4 wide positions.

Premier League: Manchester United 1-0 Brighton & Hove Albion - 25th November 2017

Not convinced he is a right winger.

Champions League: Manchester United v CSKA Moscow - 5th December 2017

Great for him to get a goal. Bit of a frustrating performance, sort of reminds me of Martial last season in that he's doing the hard stuff well but just lacking the final ball or even sometimes an easy pass. All part of his development though, people need to remember that he's still young and be patient, it'll come.

Think we’ll get this with him for a few years still a very young player wasted one good chance but punished the 2nd one.

Martial is 2 years ahead of him in terms of progression so Rashford is playing catch up in that regards learning the game at this level.

Premier League: Manchester United 1-2 Manchester City - 10th December 2017

Thought that was his best game in a while and the reward should be a start up front vs Bournemouth. I think it’s time to drop Lukaku. Give him a rest, I’d even consider letting him get away for a week to try and get his head straight as something ain’t right at the moment.

how easy was that goal, why didn't we do more of that

Premier League: West Bromwich Albion v Manchester United - 17th December 2017

I know he's young and all that, but I do find his decision making frustrating to watch. His decision making will obviously improve with experience.

He’s having a tough spell but he’s still contributing with goals and assists but he is being a bit greedy.

I hope he starts up top vs Bristol City as I think it’s important we give him games as a CF as this is the position he will end up in.

Both him and Martial have been a bit disappointing this year.

Both him and Martial have been a bit disappointing this year.

Have you been watching the games this season? Both of them are miles better than they were last season.

Have I missed the sarcasm again?

Martial 25 games 8 goals
Rashford 27 games 9 goals

This is playing mainly as wingers and not all of these games have been starts and both have chipped in with plenty of assists.

If we're pointing fingers at attacking players who've disappointed this year then look no further than Mkhitaryan & Mata who haven't contributed anywhere near enough for senior players.

Have you been watching the games this season? Both of them are miles better than they were last season.

Have I missed the sarcasm again?

Martial 25 games 8 goals
Rashford 27 games 9 goals

This is playing mainly as wingers and not all of these games have been starts and both have chipped in with plenty of assists.

If we're pointing fingers at attacking players who've disappointed this year then look no further than Mkhitaryan & Mata who haven't contributed anywhere near enough for senior players.

They started well, and true I don't see much as I listen on the radio, but what I do see they don't do enough. Yes Mata and Miki too, but no point mentioning that as most united fans think that. I mentioned Rashford and Martial as it would be a non popular and therefore talking point. You think those stats are ok by the way, 1 in 3? Compared to say Hazard or one of city's wingers? I am a massive Rashford fan, I said he was as good as Mbappe if you remember. But I am a bit disappointed this year.

They are not out and out wingers in a 442 sense are they? they are more of a front 3.

I'll try and catch some more games and make another judgment JSP, you're proabably right. But I think Jose will be looking that left hand side in the up coming transfer windows on current form. I guess it's true, in his Chelsea team the goals came more centrally.

@Mr C

Sane 23 games 8 goals
Sterling 23 games 15 goals
Sanchez 13 games 5 goals
Ozil 7 games 1 goal
Mane 15 games 7 goals
Salah 26 games 20 goals
Hazard 22 games 8 goals
Deli Alli 22 games 7 goals
Eriksen 22 games 6 goals

I mean Sterling & Salah are having blinding seasons but all of the above players are starting nearly every game they play very few of those appearances are off the bench and our wide players are matching up to pretty much everyone else at around 1 in 3 despite the fact our boys have rotated starting games most of the time.

Rashford/Martial are probably the best thing about watching Utd right now apart from Pogba.

I think Rashford finds it harder playing wide than Martial does as it's clear to me he's more of a centre forward and both of the youngsters have had to try their hand playing out on the right which doesn't suit either. Utd are desperate for someone who can play on the right side of a front 3. Mourinho has always had creative wide players on both sides along with his centre forward because he doesn't really let his full backs get forward I think if we're looking at strengthening the attacking line up in January I think it has to be someone who plays on the right side.

I also think Rashford in the second half of the season needs some games playing in the middle be it FA Cup games or some league games we must keep giving him games as a centre forward as that is what he is.

Ok, I'll try and watch a little more rather than listen. I'd like to see them attack from deep more with ball at feet.

off topic, but what has happened to Alli this year!

I think right flank is more of a problem. If we had Salah's goals from there we would look way better.

I don’t care for him one little bit but he’ll come back into form I’m sure. But when he’s not getting his way he’s a petulant little bugger, anyone see his tackle on De Bruyne? Could have broke his leg!

Ok, I'll try and watch a little more rather than listen. I'd like to see them attack from deep more with ball at feet.

Rashford has got a bit like Nani at times he tries a lot of long shots now but to be fair they're often dangerous shots and it gives us a different angle and he has missed a few one vs one situations where you need to be more clinical which might explain why the radio sounds harsher than the pictures do. He's also got a bit of arrogance and edge starting to come through which I like to see in a Utd player he's not going to let himself be bullied he'll stand up to the biggest centre backs around if he thinks he needs to.

Way I see it is when he gets on the ball I'm already starting to get off my seat as I think something could happen here it's still a bit like the early Ronaldo years where he frustrates but you can see the potential if he just polishes up the rough edges he could be a superstar in 2 years time. Mbappe reminds me a bit more of Rooney who was world class at 18 like this lad is Rashford maybe like Ronaldo might not really flourish until he's 21-22 and has a few seasons under his belt. Mbappe also I think has benefitted from playing in 2 very attacking sides and he had Falcao and now Cavani leading the line for him whereas Rashford hasn't really had that luxury of a world class striker up with him apart from a bit of time with Zlatan.

Alli I think has been found out a bit teams know who he is and what he does plus Spurs have changed their system to go to a back 3 which means he plays more of a wide role than what he had previously where he was right in behind Kane almost as a second striker in the way Rooney was. There's also talk of some off field issues think he's in the process of changing agents and he's got a lot of people around him trying to build a brand around him.

League Cup: Bristol City 2-1 Manchester United - 20th December 2017

I was left frustrated by his decision making again. Why didn't he pass the ball to Lukuka?

@Sideshow Bob there's definitely a greedy streak coming into his game now which could be a good thing and it might be something that Mourinho and maybe even Zlatan is drilling into him as a striker/winger he needs to take more shots as he has an absolute rocket of a shot from long range.

I really think we made a mistake last night he should've been up the middle instead of Zlatan

Premier League: Manchester United 2-2 Burnley - 26th December 2017

Hearing Stevie wonder could cross a road better then Rashford could cross a ball today is that right?

He was very poor. He has been for some time now. I mean he might be getting assist but he isn’t doing enough considering his potential. I know he is young but this is his third season of top flight football with United.

Just got back from game yesterday, not watched it over but I was fuming at Rashford yesterday, he is becoming a problem because he seems to think he has to hit a "Ronaldo v Portsmouth" free kick with every dead ball, that ball in that was out wide and he just hit it as hard as he could, flew out for a throw in I think, jesus wanted him hauled off, he needs to be taken out for a few games, Martial for me is a level above Rashford, needs to be starting every game.

Anyone know what was up with Martial yesterday?

Just got back from game yesterday, not watched it over but I was fuming at Rashford yesterday, he is becoming a problem because he seems to think he has to hit a "Ronaldo v Portsmouth" free kick with every dead ball, that ball in that was out wide and he just hit it as hard as he could, flew out for a throw in I think, jesus wanted him hauled off, he needs to be taken out for a few games, Martial for me is a level above Rashford, needs to be starting every game.

Anyone know what was up with Martial yesterday?

Think he was just rested as they were worried about injury my guess is Rashford probably sits out the next one.

It’s easy to get frustrated with him but he’s still a young kid remember how frustrating Ronaldo was in his first 3 seasons needed about 20 shots to score a goal, step overs that went nowhere, took forever to put in a cross which is why RVN started a fight with him in training etc.

To much is being put on these young kids to carry this team and while it might pay off big time like it did with Rooney & Ronaldo between 07-09 it still needs some more experienced lads to help guide them through this period and take up the slack when they’re having off days.

The word on the street is that Rashford has developed a bit of an ego.

Yeah my frustration is that he doesn't seem to have a football maturity about him, seems like over the last few weeks every single decision he makes on the field is wrong and a bit naive, needs to calm down and just get back to doing the basis's well, he don't have to score a worldie every time he gets the ball.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back