FA Cup 0
League Cup 0
Champions League 0
Super Cup 0

Previous Seasons
Marcus Rashford | Match Discussion thread 2016/17

Marcus Rashford | Match Discussion thread 2015/16

Pre season: LA Galaxy 2-5 Manchester United - 15th July 2017

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Should have had a hat trick. Has worked really hard over the summer, stronger and looks even quicker than he did last season. Not even 20 yet, still has a lot of physical development to come. Seen some compare him to Cristiano and how he came back in summer 06 looking stronger, Rashford nearly 2 years younger than CR at that point though. Will probably pass 100 club appearances this season already, at the age of 20, which is pretty incredible. Important that we don't expect too much from him at such a young age but I think he's capable of a big season.

Completely agree with all that. Think it's a massive credit to him and shows what sort of character he is that his spends his pre season working as hard as he has. Many older pros take for granted where they are, yet his got his head down and tried to get stronger and quicker.

There's lots of good discussions on here about JMs formations and where's everyone going to play when everyone's fit. I hope he tries to find a way of playing Rashford with Lukaku because it's a front line that's capable of causing problems.

Pre Season: Real Salt Lake 1-2 Manchester United - 18th July 2017

How much has this kid come on seriously? I know its only pre season and I know we've played 2 MLS sides but Rashford looks even better then he was only a couple of months ago. He didn't score last night but little things like his crossing for example when he drifts out wide was spot on. His movement both in the channels and running beyond was fantastic. Great start to pre season.

I think the real answer to that question comes in the league next season there was a lot of impressive dribbles and moments in games last season but not killer moments ie goals and assists he needs to boost his numbers this season. He reminded a bit of Welbeck last season who had a similar thing in his second season where it didn't come as easy for him because he had to play wide a lot because of RVP whereas Rashford had to play wide because of Zlatan. Welbeck never really recovered from that and couldn't establish himself as a regular and got frustrated and left which I still think is a big shame hopefully the same doesn't happen with Rashford.

However, this season he needs to force himself into the line up by making sure when he gets a chance up front he takes them think he's got work to do on his finishing especially one vs one but you can see the progress. His biggest problem is going to be if Lukaku stays fit and gets himself in form then it's going to be very hard for him to get playing time in the middle apart from League cup games and maybe as part of rotation involving the CL games.

I have faith in the kid. His desire is to be a MU legend. Already looking more of a man and we're only in pre-season. Until he's a regular, he should focus on being lethal & seizing all opportunities afforded to him.

Also, JOSE, don't bottle it!

First full season just gone after spending the summer at the Euros. Like Martial, I think a good rest and good pre-season will stand him in good stead to have a very good season. Starting a couple of weeks early at Nike HQ has improved his physical attributes, from what i've read it's a great place to reach your full potential physically.

I think Welbeck's big problem was (and still is) injuries, I don't think playing wide is a problem for Rashford, I think long term he'll be a centre forward but he has the skill set to play wide, his pace and ability to beat defenders with ease make him a good choice out wide for the time being and he may even end up playing the Ronaldo role long term if he adds the ability to score from wide on a consistent basis. Competition is stiff on the left with Martial and maybe Perisic joining, Perisic for me is more of a proper winger than the other 2 or anyone else we have, Martial and Rashford for me can both become centre forwards in time.

First full season just gone after spending the summer at the Euros. Like Martial, I think a good rest and good pre-season will stand him in good stead to have a very good season. Starting a couple of weeks early at Nike HQ has improved his physical attributes, from what i've read it's a great place to reach your full potential physically.

I think Welbeck's big problem was (and still is) injuries, I don't think playing wide is a problem for Rashford, I think long term he'll be a centre forward but he has the skill set to play wide, his pace and ability to beat defenders with ease make him a good choice out wide for the time being and he may even end up playing the Ronaldo role long term if he adds the ability to score from wide on a consistent basis. Competition is stiff on the left with Martial and maybe Perisic joining, Perisic for me is more of a proper winger than the other 2 or anyone else we have, Martial and Rashford for me can both become centre forwards in time.

I might be wrong but I don't recall him being that injury prone at Utd his injury issues came when he went to Arsenal as he's had some really bad luck with injury.

Welbeck's problem was after his first season Fergie went big and got RVP which meant we had 4 strikers but Fergie knew how to keep them all happy and make them all feel equal and part of the squad. When Moyes came in I think he made it quite clear that RVP/Rooney were his first choice pair there was a spell over Xmas I think where Welbeck was in the team and scored a few goals then RVP got himself fit and Welbeck got dropped even though he was in form. I think that was probably the final straw for him as he knew no matter what he did he was always going to be backup and he wanted to play.

The big mistake they made in my opinion was selling Welbeck they should've just let him go on loan we got Falcao in on loan for the season so the logical thing to do was to loan out Welbeck as we didn't have any european football that season.

My thing with Rashford playing wide is he beats his man quite a lot but there's not often anything at the end of it that's where he needs to develop so when he's beaten the man out wide he's putting in a dangerous cross or getting a shot at goal. When he plays central he seems to have less of a problem with this as his movement means he gets into goal scoring positions.

I think Rashford is a much more complete player than Welbeck was at that age by the way.

Pre Season: Manchester City 0-2 Manchester United - 20th Juy 2017

Front 3 next season Rashford Lukaku Miki. All 3 have started pre season with a bang!

If playing 4-2-3-1 I hope Mkhi plays 10. I think if Perisic signed, Rashford would play from the right.

Top finish from Rashford. Looks gun hot this pre-season. The three of Lukaku, Rashford and Mkhitaryan could be lethal but all need to be on it from the start of the season. What strikes me about Rashford is his constant improvement and you can tell he goes back to the training ground and trains and trains and trains some more. Next season could be his big one.

Premier League: Manchester United 4-0 West Ham United - 13th August 2017

He was a proper threat.

I don't want to put him down but this season he needs to put the end product at the end of being a handful we need the results in terms of goals and assists he was so unlucky yesterday with that one off the post but he has to start putting up numbers that go with the performances this season.

Zabaleta couldn't of asked for a worse start on debute apart from maybe going up vs Hazard having Rashford and then Martial come down your wing when everyone knows you've lost your pace must be terrifying.

Can we fit Rashford and Martial in the same 11 alongside Lukaku? If one played on the right, who?

Premier League: Manchester United 2-0 Leicester City - 26th August 2017

7 out our 10 goals have come from the bench. Mou seems to have found his touch with the subs this season.

WCQ: England 2-1 Slovakia - 4th September 2017

Missed the 2 England games, where has he played?

Came on wide right in a 4-2-3-1 in the first game, started there last night but swapped to the left after about 1/2 hour and stayed there until he was subbed late on.

How did he do on the right? Was he moved to the left because of his performance or due to others' performance.

How did he do on the right? Was he moved to the left because of his performance or due to others' performance.

He played well but it was Malta so hard to really judge him.

Struggled at the start vs Slovakia made a mistake that lead to a goal trying to dribble out but it looked like a tactical switch as neither winger looked comfortable both improved when they swapped. When he moved to the left he instantly became our most dangerous player.

Premier League: Stoke City 2-2 Manchester United - 9th September 2017

Struggled today hard to get much out of Zouama but made plenty of clever runs in behind the defence

Champions League: Manchester United 3-0 FC Basel - 12th September 2017

Another debut goal, pretty outrageous record really. He's got so much more to come too, he's starting to pop up in those Ronaldo positions now from the left where he pretty much ghosts in at the back post.

Him and Martial are gonna push and push eachother this season. Whose the bigger talent. Can we fit the 4 in to a side? (Martial Rashford Mhki Lukaku)

Him and Martial are gonna push and push eachother this season. Whose the bigger talent. Can we fit the 4 in to a side? (Martial Rashford Mhki Lukaku)

I don't think we can unless we play 2 up front and play Mhiki and one of the youngsters out wide because Mhiki is the only one who can play on the right and both Martial/Rashford look more comfortable on the left or playing as the centre forward neither are really number 10's. They're a great double act though imagine being a right back and having an hour of one of them running at you then a fresh Rashford/Martial coming at you for the last 1/2 hour as your legs start to go.

That's a really really nice finish and you can just see he's playing with such confidence at the moment!

And the record is just crazy. To have scored on your debut in every major competition? Wow!!!

Premier League: Manchester United 4-0 Everton - 17th September 2017

I thought he looked uninterested.

Think it might just be a case of marking it down as an off day Keane did a good job up against him and they did well to crowd him out whenever he got on the ball if he tried coming inside there was always someone waiting for him, not his day but if he is fit I'd look to give him a start at centre forward in the league cup game.

I just felt it was one of those days where he couldn't make anything happen. I'd have actually had him off at HT for Martial.

I think Martial deserves to start in both the cup game and the next league game. He's playing to well. He got 5 mins yesterday and managed to make something happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back