Marcos Rojo to leave?

Sideshow Bob

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

£25m would be a great deal for Rojo.

If we are signing maguire and keeping 5 CBs I think that hints that we are going for a back 3 this season.

His first year I was quite impressed with him at CB, saw one of his first games at CB at Old Trafford and he was playing next to McNair and he guided him through the game and wasn’t afraid of shouting at others around him either despite being the new boy and probably not knowing much English, he was very poor when played as a LB but decent at CB. Since the knee injury he’s not looked the same so £25m would be fantastic business.

His first year I was quite impressed with him at CB, saw one of his first games at CB at Old Trafford and he was playing next to McNair and he guided him through the game and wasn’t afraid of shouting at others around him either despite being the new boy and probably not knowing much English, he was very poor when played as a LB but decent at CB. Since the knee injury he’s not looked the same so £25m would be fantastic business.

I agree with you on this one. He was in great form and looked like cementing a place in the starting lineup, but that knee injury really ruined it for him. Like Falcao, Rojo might never reach that level again, so 25 million would be a good price considering the fact that we paid roughly 16 million (20m euros) back in 2014.

Always looked better at CB than at LB but never really looked fantastic we’ve got squad level players like him already if we get a good offer got to let him go.

Had a good spell in our Europa League run but hasn’t looked the same since he came back from that injury.

Good having an agent running the transfer policy at a club with deep pockets.

Worked with Silva at Sporting but seems a strange target for them if I’m honest but then his agent is also the managers agent.

I know Everton are flush with cash these days but this deal makes little to no sense to me apart from the agent link which I assume is the same reasons he’s been linked to Wolves.

I’d try and flog Jones before him but if one is coming in I’d happily let both go just to trim the squad we should only need 4 CBs. The only reason I like Rojo more is he’s happy playing on the left side of the centre backs as a left footer all our others are right footers.

Think issue with selling Smalling and Jones is they're homegrown. Rojo's serious injury makes him a risk to keep especially having recently given him a new long term deal and anything over £20m is a very good deal I think.

The left foot-right foot defensive combo was purely a Van Gaal preference, it has never mattered to pretty much anyone else. It's nice to have these options of course but not a necessity at CB for Mourinho or most managers. It would be nice to have a first choice LB with a left foot mind but Rojo was absolute bobbins in that position.

I think a lot of managers like the left foot right foot combination but it’s not essential as the majority of players develop as right footers so top quality left footed CBs are basically like unicorns.

Most right footed players prefer to play right side of the pair as it normally means defending on your stronger foot.

Reported that Utd have lowered their asking price to £6m to allow him to leave.

Not making the copa America squad has possibly helped make his decision about leaving as he’s been told if he’s not playing regularly he won’t be considered and these boys love playing for their country.

He needs to be told he has to leave not good enough and not fit enough to be a Utd player.

It will be mental if we start next season with the same 5 centre backs we had last season.

This is what I mean about to many players happy being squad players taking big wages at Utd he should be demanding to leave to get regular football.

lets hope those plans were the 10m we might get for him being put towards a decent player

Honestly he’s the first one that needs to be moved on, a squad player that still isn’t good enough to be a squad player. Not saying he hasn’t been okay on occasions but now he’s never fit enough and when he does play he looks like a red card waiting to happen!

He had a good little run under Mourinho in his first season was important in getting us to the Europa league final but not been anywhere near the same since that injury, why the club gave him a bumper new contract last season still baffles me.

Been here for 5 seasons played 113 games that's just over 20 games a season it's not good enough.

Ole talked a big game about players leaving this club lets hope he's actually ruthless with them and tells guys like Rojo to get out.

Saw something suggesting he’d leave if he was told first team opportunities would be limited.

Will someone just tell him surely he was one of those guys of that list of players Ole promised us would be gone.

Can't believe he needs to be told he will have limited opportunities in the first team but if that's what it takes then do it

Can't believe he needs to be told he will have limited opportunities in the first team but if that's what it takes then do it

To be fair if he looks at what is ahead of him currently he should back himself

Bailly out injured again for 4 months
Jones injury prone
Smalling consistent but not amazing
Lindelof still not totally convinced by him
Tuenzebe very young and unproven

If a new guy comes in he’s got to go and next summer Bailly needs shifting if you can’t stay fit you can’t stay here.

He can’t be the easiest to shift, we still would demand a fee and some clubs who are in for him will probably think his wages are too high for what he brings to the party. I can see him staying here for another year or two then ending up back in Argentina to finish his career.

Story is we’ve been asking for 25m for a guy with serious injury problems over the last 5 seasons and is on very good wages.

Utd will be lucky to get half of that fee as he will want a club playing European football which means going to a big club in one of the non big 5 leagues or someone like Valencia but these clubs only look for guys they can develop and sell on. Maybe we could get him back to Sporting but not sure they left on good terms.

Bailly getting injured might have saved him but if someone comes in we have to move Rojo out you just don’t need 6 first team centre backs at the club and Rojo is the only one hey look like selling.

So we called off the Everton move because they didn’t meet our asking price. Gosh if we were asking for a stupid amount for Rojo then it’s crazy. We just cannot get rid of deadwood.
Suppose he can still move abroad but wouldn’t bet on it.

Guess it depends how far apart you are especially if there’s still interest from European clubs do you cash in now or gamble that better bids come?

Just flipping sell him. I mean Chelsea just sold Luiz for £8M!!! We can't expect anymore than that.

Just flipping sell him. I mean Chelsea just sold Luiz for £8M!!! We can't expect anymore than that.

Luiz is 32 and Rojo is 29 so that makes a difference but I do agree just get him out of here especially with Tuenzebe staying we don't need 7 centre backs at the club.

It really is a case of taking whatever you can get with this guy and move him on it's nothing really against him personally I actually quite like him but he's always injured and he's not that good when fit if we can get 10-15m get him gone.

Luiz is 32 and Rojo is 29 so that makes a difference but I do agree just get him out of here especially with Tuenzebe staying we don't need 7 centre backs at the club.
Luiz has years more actual experience, a lot more good years and has played more games in the last couple of years.

Loan to Fenerbahce is being talked about.

Utd would prefer a permanent deal but sounds like it’s a loan or nothing probably with an option to buy rather than an obligation to buy.

Utd need to get him out playing somewhere as he won’t get games here which means it’s even harder to get rid of him.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back