Manchester United v Tottenham Hotspur

Status
Not open for further replies.
Competition: Barcleys Premier League
Date: 30 October 2010
Venue: Old Trafford
Kick Off: 17.30 BST

Thoughts on the match and team selection?

It's gonna be a tough one. Not sure whether we'll go 4-4-2 or 4-5-1. I think we'll go 4-4-2 though as we don't really have much creativity in midfield to go with just one striker. Park on the right to help Rafa out against Bale and Fletch in midfield against VdV. Watching Spurs last weekend apart from Bale and VdV they didn't really offer much in attack. Crouch struggles on his own.

Edwin, Rafael, Vidic, Rio, Evra, Park, Scholes, Fletcher, Nani, Berbatov, Chicharito.

Not sure myself whether we'll play 4-4-2 or 4-5-1. Will be very difficult to leave Hernandez out in current form. I have the feeling we'll play 4-5-1 in an attempt to control midfield, Sir Alex being wary of Modric and VdV in midfield. If required, we can throw on Hernandez for the final 20-30 minutes. I'm edging towards wanting 4-4-2. Think Park will play too, but in a wing role... I'd like to see a three man midfield of Scholes, Carrick and Fletcher - with Scholes the furthest forward. Hope we see Rafael at rightback. Apart from Crouch, Spurs pose less of an aerial threat compared to Stoke.

Despite his height, Crouch isn't that good aerially in my opinion. If Ando is fit, i'd be inclined to leave Scholes out and play a 3 man midfield of Ando, Carrick and Fletch to add a bit more work rate. Should see Rafa at RB, pace to match Bale, Brown is the only other option as he's still quite quick, Neville or JOS would get ripped to pieces. The only reason I don't think we'll go 4-5-1 is that we don't really have a lone striker, Berba can do it better than last year but I still don't think he's particulalry suited to it.

the only thing i can say about the team selection is that with Hernandez playing so well right now, it would probably be a certainty that he plays

I had only 6 in last time that Tottenham have won United at Old Trafford. Impressive.
I don't expect an easy game, especially with Bale and van der Vaart in the field. And that's exactly why I think Brown should be our RB tomorrow. He seems to be the best suitable player to try to stop the the Welsh.

I think we have to use our firepower at maximum. So, Chicarito and Berba up front seems very likely.

Want to see Obertan playing but SAF may prefer someone who is better in marking. In this case, Park can play, or else, he can repeat what we did against Stoke and advance Evra. If this happens, O'Shea likely will do the job as LB, despite Fabio did a good impact against wolves.

My team for tomorrow: van der Sar; Brown, Rio, Vidic, Evra; Nani, Fletcher, Scholes, Park; Chicharito, Berba

Jorgefoo said:
My team for tomorrow: van der Sar; Brown, Rio, Vidic, Evra; Nani, Fletcher, Scholes, Park; Chicharito, Berba

Maybe Macheda for Berba...

not completely... still not fully convinced he's worth the money we paid for him... BUT he has been showing promise this season....

I'm a fan of Berbatov. He has yet to justify his price tag - he hasnt been brilliant, nor has he been poor. Agree, he needs to continue his early season form. Hopefully we now seeing the real Berbatov, and this Berbatov is around for the next two or three seasons.

Whats your team SEA?

mine is Vds Wes Vidic Rio Evra Nani Carrick Fletch Scholes Chica - - Berb (4-5-1 to 4-3-3 with ball)

I think you are right with Berba - not fully justified pricetag, but then who would at such an exorbitant fee?! Think he has been quietly impressive myself. His deep lying play-making role is a joy to watch - constantly brining others into the game and creating goalscoring opportunities for others. The United crowd are slowly coming round to his worth now they realise he wasnt bought as a '9'.

I've defended Berbatov when most have criticised. The level of criticism directed towards him has been unfair and way over the top in my opinion. 33 goals plus 20 odd assists in 97 appearances is a very decent record.

I'm unsure on the team, Hernandez's impact is causing headaches. I'm edging towards 4-5-1, but I'm not sure of Hernandez on the left. Hernandez or Obertan on the left, rather than Park who is struggling in the role. I like the midfield three you have selected. Thought Carrick played well against Wolves, but he came in for some criticism. My team is the same as yours mate, with the left wing the only question mark.

Sneaky suspicion Raf for Brown -- but would be a mistake in my opinion. Bale on fire, Raf jumps in = disaster.
Make sure you catch the Observer tomorrow mate, doing the basic fan's review of game :)

Yeah, sorry. I'm inclined to favour Rafa rather than Wes. I'll keep an eye out for the preview mate. Let me know article is published. I'll post a link on here and on twitter.

My team choice for today is:
VDS, Rafael, Vidic, Ferdinand, Evra, Carrick, Fletcher,Scholes, Nani, Berbatov and Hernandez.

I am going to anti Glazers protest as I am going to the match anyway and to see what people are saying although I don’t think the Glazers are as bad as they are made out to be (hopefully anyway!).

Wish I was going. I've got about 3 different ideas of the first team i'd like. I'd like us to go with a midfield 3 of Carrick, Fletch and Ando to add a bit more running in midfield, not sure Ando is fit though, so Scholes will play, Berba up top on his own and Chicha as an impact sub. Don't think it will happen that way though. Brown at RB if Nani is playing on the right but Rafael at RB if Park is playing on the right. Rumours that Bale isn't playing though. I'd move Nani right if he isn't.

Actual starting lineup: VDS, Rafael, Vidic, Ferdinand, Evra, Nani, Fletcher, Carrick, Park, Hernandez, Berbatov

What a win! Nani with a brilliant assist and a goal which seemed crazy at the time but there was nothing wrong with it. The only thing the Ref did wrong was not give us a penalty 10 seconds before, so justice. Good performance, Rafael is the only player so far this season to keep Bale at bay. VdV was anonymous 2nd half. Keane was anonymous while he was on. Edwin Van Der Sar was brilliant in goal, the saves he made were amazing considering his age.

Yeah OK, others have done well against him too, just wanted to give a bit of credit to Rafael, because before kick off people were saying that playing him was a weakness and he proved a few people wrong.

Good game, especially first half. Thought we were comfortably the better team in the second. Easily Park's best game of the season to date and probably Berbatov's worst game. Fair play to Park. He and Nani were United's two best players.

The protest was manic. The club shop was closed as a consequence.

Hi.

Nani's productivity is fantastic - but still some histrionics and keeping ball too long. For that reason my MoMs were Park and Carrick. The latter was simply fantastic; intercepting all game, pressing the space in and around VDV, calm in possession. Raf was top drawer too - bizarre change to 4-5-1 on 65 mins, but it worked and we move on. Unbeaten - defensively steady with Rio back, and slowly warming up. (So close to a BBurn draw too - was gutted as had a bet on that).

As a referee, Clattenburg did nothing wrong - except not give Nani penalty! But perhaps his previous procrastinations counted against him….

Sounded like a good protest, saw pics online and heard from people at the protest. Point well made and a good win.

Yeah Berba didn't have the best of games but he wasn't bad by any means. Thought Carrick was brilliant too, best i've seen from him in a while, nice to see him back to his normal self, just needs to keep it at that level now as his United career is hanging on a knife edge, I love it when players prove people wrong, I hope Carrick does it. Nice to see him not just knocking the ball sideways and backwards too. Defence was magnificent, kept Spurs quiet all night. Best performance of the season so far? There's still a lot more to come but I think it was.

Same as above on the referee issue.

We talked on the way home about Nani dilly dallying in possession. Hopefully this aspect will improve like other areas of his game have improved with the more he plays. Carrick impressed. Popping simple passes around in midfield helped us control play during the second. This part of his game is undervalued. He is another which receives unfair criticism.

@Sleepy I actually said a few weeks ago it might be a good idea to go 4-5-1 after 60 mins in games when we're 4-4-2. In previous games after half time really, we've looked pretty tired in midfield, Scholesy in particular, almost leaving us with just Fletch to run around, this was the reason I left Scholes out of my predicted lineup.

It's amazing that Nani still has a lot to improve on, he's already brilliant.

I didn't see this handball so I can't comment really. All I saw was us not getting a penalty and me going nuts and when i'd calmed down the ball was in the net. And then they didn't show it again as there was so much going on.

All I know is... Play the whistle. Referee played an advantage, Gomes puts the ball on the ground, Nani scores. Simple as. Bit like Dion Dublin's goal from years back but with a bit of controversy added.

Good point re 4-5-1 JSNFRMN. We certainly do tire - I also wanted Carrick in behind Fletch Sch today, and Scholes benched if indeed we went 4-4-2. My only criticism of Fergie would be why Berba and not Chica? The former is still the best forward in Prem at holding the ball and taking pressure off team for crucial seconds. Ah well, 2-0

Good to get the three points... but Spurs were only denied goals by the woodwork far too often for my liking...

and the Nani goal...... insane, crazy, weird... whatever.

Can't quite work out how Nani got away with the handball there....did the ref just not see him handle it?

Perhaps Fergie is saving Berba for Tues. Kiko weren't on the bench today so we've only got him and Chicha at the moment. Chicha's younger and got more energy so maybe that's why he stayed on too.

Spurs only hit the woodwork once didn't they? If you look where the ref is when Nani handles it, you can tell he's not in a position to give a free kick. If Gomes thought it was a free kick, why is he taking it 10 yards from where the handball happened... what a complete idiot, he needs to look at himself instead of blaming the ref.

D'OH!... there was definitely one... and Park hit the post in the first half didn't he?

Yeah, he did, was a surprise to see Park shooting from range, the whole team seemed more confident today.

Van Der Sar made a really good save from Modric's shot. And Vida deflected a Pavlyuchenko shot just wide.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back