The season defining match?
How do we view this game?
Line-ups?

Line up I would like to see:

VDS
Rafael Rio Vida Evra
Valencia Fletch Carrick Nani
Berba Kiko

A lineup with a real statement of intent.

The width will be important - we need attacking options down either side to actually give service to the front men. Hence Rafael over Neville is a good move; the explosive full back can help with the penetrative aspect of our game, although I'm just not sure he has what it takes defensively against the speedy Robben/Ribery.

Berbatov was isolated against Chelsea. Get Kiko in there to give him some support up front. Occupying the two central defenders will open up space for the rest of the side.

Neither Scholes or Carrick are suited for these types of matches where the midfield is tight, compact, quick, and ferocious. That being said, Scholes has been extremely average in two and Carrick is well rested.

Giggs and Park on the bench - the two wide men need to be quick, attacking, and creative - Nani and Valencia can be those two and will help in getting us forward. Park and Giggs just can't do that.

Ive been thinking 4-4-2 myself, mate. My worry is centre midfield, Fletcher is looking tired so i'm wary of having the extra man in midfield to compensate.
agree your team is full of intent. I'm leaning towards the team and formation you've selected.

---------VDS-------
Nev Rio Vida Evra
Valencia Scholes Carrick Nani
Berba Kiko

Subs: Gibbo for Scholes, Giggs for Nani later in Game!

hope we win :) don´t want to be first time in my life in OT and see a defeate :-D

I think it will be a 3:2 for United (you know what this means :( ) But without rooney it will be hard to score more then two or three goals and Munich will at least score one I think :(

Damn... I hope I´m not right!!!

can we have three poor performances on the trot..?

VDS
Rafael
Rio
Ferdinand
Evra
Valencia
Fletcher
Carrick
Giggs
Nani
Berbatov

--------------------VDS

---------Rafael Rio Vida Evra

-----Valencia Fletch Carrick Nani

---------------Berba Kiko

Diouf is injured so at present there are only 2 fit strikers for United.I think thats why Kiko will be on bench and only Berba will start

avenkat said:
Diouf is injured so at present there are only 2 fit strikers for United.I think thats why Kiko will be on bench and only Berba will start

Rooney will be on the bench mate ;)
Mickey Thomas has just been on radio saying Rooney will start but I think it was tongue in cheek

Hope we go in with the youngsters and then bring the oldies on to protect a lead, they're good at doing that. Scholes and Giggs keep the ball better than anyone when they're on it.

I reckon we'll be hearing that now famous name tonight...MACHEDA!!! 2-0 United.

yeah, I fancy Macheda to score as well. If he does score what will people say about Berbatov, if anything?

Well if Kiko scores the winner. You won't hear anything about Berba. It'll be Macheda this, Macheda that and he'll be the youngest player to ever become a United legend.

Rumour is Rooney is starting. According to Journos.

apparently Rooney has entered Old Trafford without crutches and his kitbag in his hand.

Starting line up

VDS,
Rafael,
Vida,
Rio,
Evra,
Fletch,
Carrick,
Gibson,
Nani,
Valencia,
Rooney

big call from Fergie with Gibson starting

Exactly what I asked for. No oldies in. Gibson is the new Scholes. He's a goal scorer. Gibson might not get many chances with us but he's an international player. He can handle it.

think Gibson has the potential, need to improve his creative passing around trhe penalty area but that will come with experience...

gutted, feel pig sick. What the feck was Carrick doing for Bayern's first goal. How many times has Rafael been sent off now?

Didn't think Rafael deserved either yellow really. Germans gave more than they got. Ribery was hitting him in the face for the 2nd yellow and the first...well they were doing that all night. Van Buyten and Van Bommel are DT = Dirty Twats. It was ridiculous what they were getting away with. Our players have been singled out again.

That is how I feel anyway. I'm furious.

the second yellow was fair enough in my opinion. Ribery was running into a dangerous area but Rafael dragged him, Ribery could have also received a yellow for trying to hit rafa in face. Dont think he would have received 2nd yellow if it wasnt for the Bayern team surrounding the referee.

Van der Sar - 7

Rafael - 5
Ferdinand - 7
Vidic - 7
Evra - 6

Valencia - 8.5
Fletcher - 7
Carrick - 4
Nani - 9
Gibson - 7.5

Rooney - 6.5.

I don't agree with Rafa's 5. He destroyed Ribery while he was on and ran the whole field only to fire wide. 6 at least. 19 and inexperienced, shouldn't blame him. Evra deserved more than 6, he was fecked by the end, ran his socks off. Totally agree with Carrick's 4 though, I like Carrick but he was abysmal tonight. Should be dropped for Blackburn in favour of Gibson, Scholes or Berbatov. I probably would have given him a 5 though as I have too much faith in the players. I hate criticising our players.

fair point mate, i'm just so disappointed... without the sending off I would have given him an 8 easily. Hopefully he will learn from the experience cos as you say he didnt give Ribery a kick while he was on the pitch.

I'm with you mate, its rare I'll slag one of our players off. I'm a big fan of Carrick and defended him a number of times. Tonight I havent got a leg to stand on...

Thought Nani was outstanding though. Just goes to show what a bit of patience can bring. I think patience is needed with Rafa. He's one of the best young wing backs in the world, just lacking in experience. He's gonna be a great Right Back...one day. Nice to have O'Shea back now though. Nevs has got too slow and Rafa's too inexperienced. But with Rafa, Nani, Valencia, Gibson, Kiko and a host of other players, an exciting future lies ahead, hopefully we can get the Glazers out soon and it'll be even more exciting. But I think we showed tonight we can cope without the 3 legends though and maybe that's the way we need to go from now on. The younger players stepped up tonight and showed what they can do.

yeah, I agree Jason. Rafael will be an excellant right-back once he gains experience. If we dont sign a right-back in the summer Rafa should be first choice rightback for me.

Good point regarding being able to cope without Nev, Scholes and Giggs. The future is certainly bright at United... (we hope :) )

I thought the ref was weak and inexperienced and Bayern exploited that with the sending off - yes Rafael was holding Ribery but Ribery did push him back so I'd call it even. The first yellow, I can understand his frustration but he has to control that side of his game (we sorted it out with Cantona, Beckham and Rooney so it might just be teething troubles) and he has to stop giving refs decisions to make by grabbing at attackers who've gone past him. Having said that, the turning point was conceding such a soft goal before half time - we go in at half time 3-0 up and we win the tie, I think it's as simple as that. As it was they went in knowing they were in a game they had been destroyed in, and Dante's right, they were in control from then on in. As for the second goal, it was a great move and finish but we should've got someone out to Robben quicker, and why oh why didn't we have someone on the fornicate post? I know Rafael was doing it before he went off but why didn't someone else take it up? We have someone there and it's kicked away. That's the most frustrating thing, going out to a goal which wouldn't have happened in a primary school lunchtime kickabout. As for the team, we seem to have gone back to the way we were in Europe in the years surrounding 99 (this applied to the Chelsea game as well); once we lose the ball we make horrendously heavy weather of getting it back (and this was with Fletcher in the team, so maybe he wouldn't have won it for us last year). I can't understand for the life of me why we decided to play the last 40 minutes as if they were the last 4, with no outlets and just hoofing the ball out of defence - which is another frustrating thing given our 10 man performances over the last few seasons have been excellent. And I just hope Carrick was a bit dazed after he was kicked in the head, because that was a shocking display, as much as I like the guy he needs to step it up (why is it every time I get a name on a shirt that player starts to fornicate up?). On the plus side Valencia's getting better with every game and Nani is finally starting to show his ability. We need to get up, dust ourselves down, and get ready for a big game Sunday. There's 5 games left, let's win the lot and have no regrets. United! United! United!

agree with Bayern exploited the referee over the sending off. Rafa has no comlpaints in my opinion, both soft yellow cards but can see why Referee deemed punishment was required.

Agree, turning point of the night was the goal conceded before half time - Carrick to blame. Agree, I'm a big fan of his as well but Carrick needs to step it up. You should buy a shirt later today with Lampard on the back of it :lol:

Agree, gotta dust ourselves down and come again. Win every game and pile the pressure on Chelsea.

United till I die!!!

Van der Sar - 7

Rafael - 5
Ferdinand - 7
Vidic - 7
Evra - 6

Valencia - 8
Fletcher - 7
Carrick - 5
Nani - 8.5
Gibson - 7

Rooney - 6.5

simply because bayern players agitated.the ref was at first going to just warn him.But when Bayern lead by that imbred cnut Ribery started waving imaginary cards the ref sent him off.

I´m also a german but I just can say: "fecking cheating germans!"

It was a very good game but in the end without the red card we would have done the fourth or/and fifth goal and we were through!!!

s*§t

avenkat said:
simply because bayern players agitated.the ref was at first going to just warn him.But when Bayern lead by that imbred cnut Ribery started waving imaginary cards the ref sent him off.

yeah I agree the referee was unlikely to dish out punishment before Bayern players surrounded him. If it was the other way around, I'd want the Bayern player booked.

Now that I had my hours of sleep I can write :)

The Trip was good. Off course very weard to drive on the left side and so on but it was funny, too. We needed 13hours to reach Manchester and from London to Manchester through A1 (Cambridge and so on) I drove the Car. Driving in Manchester was very very funny. We were the first Fans at Old Trafford we arrived at 7o´clock in the morning :D. We thought that maybe the media arives but there was nobody :D

So we went to the city had some sleep and then went back to OT for the Match.

Old Trafford is fantastic. I came into my block the sun shines at me It was wunderfull!!!
The game off course was fantastic, too. I told you it would be a 3-2 for United -.- ... s%*!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back