Manchester United v Arsenal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, not sure. He should do what's natural and by changing it, it's not natural. I don't mind that method of penalty taking though.

Rooney succeeded in only one tackle of 9 attempted by the way, i'm thinking that maybe he's lost confidence in his ankle and is reluctant to go into the tackle as hard as he normally does. Am I looking too much into that?

I quite like that style of penalty taking to be fair. Agree with Nani being frustrating though bloody hell.

IMO, I think Vida was MOTM TONIGHT. Blocked all the chances that came arsenal's way. One block of note was that of chamakh. Super block!

Probably looking into the tackling too much, being on his own it was probably tougher.

Wish The Guardian would do chalkboards for Europe.

Nani was brilliant at times but selfishness, decision making in and around penalty area, and crossing let him down.

Nice to see Becks there! Looked busy taking photos with the miners.

good game... think we clearly deserved to win....

The penalty is a bit lucky for us i'd say... yes the ball and his hand touched, but he was on the ground already and i didn't think he moved to stop the ball... the card was definitely a bit too much, but i would guess the ref was stuck in giving it with the penalty...

WTF was Rooney trying with the penalty kick?

Nani showed both great skill and utter stupid judgement.... WHEN RUNNING OUT OF SPACE... PASS THE F**KING BALL!!!!!!!!!

Roll on Chelski

(EDIT- Post 150 :D )

I think the card was given to someone else for complaining. Might be wrong though. Didn't think it was a penalty but we should have had one in the first half anyway I thought.

We struggle at set pieces. Penalties is one of our strongest set pieces though. Free Kicks, Corners and even throw ins are a problem, the first 2 a bigger problem.

Funny comment on The Sun's website
Man utd were terrible they played a brand of football from the dinosaur age it was a shocking way to play the lad Park got a fluke goal other than that they had 10 men behind the ball on home soil which was a utter embarrasment its not the man utd way Matt Busby and Duncan edwards will be tirning in there craves watching that guff by Fergie!

Thanks! You may have a point there but it's still great to see Vida's no nonsense approach to defending. It might have been going out but he made sure it did!

I fail to see where Arsenal nearly equalised, DS? Van Der Sar wasn't tested once, they were easily contained. A striker coming on was unneeded. If Gibson had been on the bench, he would have come on. Last 10-20 mins we began to look tired in midfield. There was no point in risking a lead by bringing on Chicha or/and Obertan. Both inexperienced players, ball retention was key, they wouldn't have helped. Their pace would have been key had we been chasing a goal, we weren't though. SAF knows best.

Ando was good again last night! starting to show some consistency, wonder if Berbatov will start vs Chelsea, a good win, nice to see the back 4 play so well

Excellent victory, despite some problems. We're on top again. And that's the most important.

The team have started well, taking the initiative and trying to create the better chances. However, Arsenal marked well. Especially with the overcrowding in the midfield.

I was expecting to see the team maintaining the same pattern in the second half, but strangely, the team stepped back and began betting on the counterattacks, which somehow worked well. The Arsenal's marking system was no longer so efficient and we managed to create good chances with Anderson and Nani. But it was a kinda disappointing to see the team giving so much room to Arsenal. Ok, they haven't real scoring chances, but they gave us some scares. Fortunately we have an excellent defense. I have no doubt to say that Rafael will be our RB for many years. He was superb again in the marking. Vidic and Ferdinand were excellent. Both avoided two possible goals for Arsenal in the 2nd time.

Nani was once again important for the team. But I think that many times he needs to simplify. I understand this is his style of play, making all those flicks and tricks, but sometimes, all this can become a problem. If he had simplified, would have scored when he had that chance in second half.

Anderson once again led the midfield. Still shows passing mistakes in the final third, but it's great to see him having a consistency. The truth is he does a great season. Maybe we have finally found the creative midfielder we're looking for. And better. We don't needed to spend a single penny for this.

I showed some concern about this new Rooney's way to take penalties. I know it worked on other occasions, but it is a very risky way to take the penalties. If there is a positioning error, it will happen what happened today.

Now, if all goes well, I hope to see something that I wish as a United fan in recent years. See United beating Chelsea at Stamford Bridge. And there's no better time to do it.

great atmosphere last night, north stand and east were rocking it all game, its just a shame it's not like that for all our home games! I think nani is going through the same stage as early Ronaldo did with his tricks, he'll come through in the end! ando is definitely our midfield magician and is starting to look like a very capable scholes replacement.

I see Whinger has blamed the United pitch for the fact he didn't manage his team properly....

i'm also seeing a few comments around the net about Rio and how he should have been sent off.... Arsenal could have ended the game with 2 players sent off last night... whoever it was that Shoulder-barged Evra..... then chased him down and fouled him was lucky to not get a red for that.... and the penalty could have been a red, though i would say a red for that would have been far too harsh

I thought we played well last night.I can't recall one single moment where my heart was in my mouth thinking that Arsenal may score but on the other hand I think we had numerous chances to notch up a higher score than the 1-0 the game finished and that's discounting the penalty.

Rooney was fecking incredible, his presence alone gave us one foot on the match. Arsenal like to play a high line and attack from the back using their defenders as the main protectors in their passing game. But because of the way he always destroys them with his pace in behind their defence, they had to play very very deep (basically in their own box when van der sar had the ball) and one of their main strategy's was nullified

I think Anderson in the last three games has come on leaps and bounds.He looks fitter and more composed on the ball.I think he absolutely made the right choice to go for the clever dink over the young Polish lad in the Arsenal net but the Pole is a massive unit.He reminded me of the Great Dane when he made himself star shaped to stop Andersons shot.I actually thought that was a great save and I think overall for a 20 year old making his premiership debut,Szczesny had a fantastic game.I was surprised that Wenger ignored praising him at the end of the game.Back to Anderson,I hope this form continues,someone on 'you're on sky sports' last night phoned in and said that in 2-3 years he can win the Ballon 'dor.I wouldn't got that far but I do think if he builds on his recent form that he can become an exceptional player and United's midfield general for years to come.He's looking leaner and fitter,more composed on the ball,long may it continue.

The defense was awesome.Ferdinand,Vidic,and Evra were immense,but that's old hat.We all know that that trio on their day are among the best defenders in World football.The player that impressed me most was young Da Silva,I thought he had a brilliant game,it was a real mature performance.He can be prone to making rash challenges and can also be a bit 'over enthusiastic' with his attacking play leaving wide open spaces at the back.There was none of that last night,he looked like a seasoned performer.That right back posistion in now officially his.

Great win last night,thought the defence was solid & the midfield battled well.Have to say wasnt impressed at 1st with the lone striker but it paid off and we created many chances,shame we couldn't finish some of them.But a wins a win and have to say Anderson for me was MoM he was awesome,full of running,strong & covered every blade on the pitch,great to see.
Shame Rooney didnt convert his pen but nearly made up for it with that sublime chip which the keeper did very well to save.
Now its about time we had some luck at the Bridge & get the rent boys beaten,I'd settle for that as my Xmas present.

SEA I was in the Stretford End behind the goal heading Rooneys pen :).Didnt need to teach my son the songs he knows them,but his favourite is the Park song ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back