Maguire confirmed as new club captain

SuperRash

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Too soon?

I am fine with it to be honest, there are a lack of options so it makes sense. Not a fan of the keeper being captain and think it’s too soon for McTominay and guess there is so much uncertainty about Pogba. Good call for me.

Think it's the sensible shout from the current squad he displays leadership qualities that are lacking in other players there isn't really a natural successor to Young who shouldn't ever really have progressed to the point of being captain but that's just the way it's been for 5 years.

De Gea isn't a strong enough presence to be a captain, Pogba doesn't seem to want to stay, Rashford/McTominay etc to young so Maguire is the stand out candidate he plays nearly every game so it makes sense to me.

Don’t think there was anyone else to give it to.

Rashford and McTominay and then Williams were the next choices inline!! I would like to see Maguire be more vocal seems a lot more quieter with us than he was for Leicester of England

I think McTominay is the natural vice captain for me a captain is a player who takes responsibility on the pitch you don't need to be shouting all the time but you need to be someone who sets the standards, doesn't hide on the pitch and is a master of getting the ref on side. Bullying the referee is part of the role and you need to be able to do it probably not in the Roy Keane way anymore but be smart and make sure he gives you every 50/50 call because you're Man Utd.

Maguire as captain is brilliant no one better in our team , DDG is good but I think maguire is a natural leader this will also give him a boost

I would have made McTominay captain. Yes he is young but he will the heart of this team for the next 10 years, he's a big presence on the field and off, and he is United to the core. I like having a midfielder as captain more than a centerback. Just remembering how effective Keane was as captain. No one was safe from him anywhere on the pitch, including his own teammates. Maguire might grow into the role but so far I'd say it's too big for him.

Who do you give it to instead?

There's a lack of obvious candidates do you give it to Mata as some sort of totem figure for the team of a good seasoned pro who sets standards but he doesn't play every game and may leave at the end of the season. Most of the longer serving senior players are being moved on I guess Jones is now the longest serving player alongside De Gea as they all joined in 2011 if Smalling came back it would be him as he came the season before.

Of the guys who start every week Maguire is the obvious choice unless you want to really load the pressure on to Rashford and give it to him as I don't think any of the other regular starters have captain qualities.

A captain is not your best player it's a guy who sets the standards of the club turning up on time, training properly, living his life properly as a 24/7 professional etc maybe that is what they see in Maguire straight away you normally pick a guy who other players should look to copy if they want to fulfil their potential. Leaders can emerge in groups very quickly.

A lack of leadership is a problem at the club at all levels leadership brings responsibility and the best clubs have players who take responsibility they don't wait to be told what to do they just do it because they know it's the right thing to do. Utd's best teams always had that in the past right now I don't think they do.

My opinion is changing on him after being out for us and his England performances

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back