Luke Shaw will not leave in the summer

Sideshow Bob

Paul Pogba will make £89m Man Utd move look cheap, says Jose Mourinho

“He had a very ugly injury, really, really ugly,” said Mourinho, refuting rumours that Shaw could be sold this summer. “Not just from the physical point of view, but also by the mental impact. So this season he has had a couple of small injuries and he needs to adapt. He knows what I like in a defender, he knows that I like stability, that I don’t like mistakes, that for me it is to trust a player totally and he has to work to get it.

“And when he is on the pitch again he has to try to give me that step by step because he is still only a young player, sometimes people forget he is only a young player with a lot to learn but I like the player and I like the boy. No, he will be here for sure, that is out of the question.”

From what I was told today in a private message on twitter he's doing himself no favours and will be lucky to stay beyond the summer if his attitude doesn't change. A huge shame.

I get the impression that Mourinho decided at Xmas he wanted Shaw gone for whatever reason it's clear they don't get on but I think the club are reluctant to sell him because he was a big investment in the future of the squad and Mourinho might not last more than 2-3 seasons. If we sold him in the summer we'd lose money on him and he could still become a top class LB if they can learn to get along but Mourinho seems like a guy who makes a quick decision on someone and it's hard to get back in once you're frozen out Shaw kind of suggested he didn't join Chelsea because of Mourinho so you wonder if that's still lingering in the air.

If we sell him to Spurs for example and he's suddenly the Luke Shaw he was when we signed him we're going to look stupid so I think the club are reluctant to sell and they might actually loan him out like Arsenal did with Wilshere so he actually plays some football.

From what i've heard it's simply an attitude problem, doesn't listen to senior team mates or staff, sulks when he receives criticism, doesn't work hard enough, and not interested in trying to prove himself, more interested in dicking about with his mates who he lives with. Sounds as though he's treated the move as one big holiday with his mates.

I think you have to remember he's still only a kid and he's come back from a horror injury where he will have spent months in isolation away from his team mates last season while he was doing rehab.

We've made him a millionaire and made him move 200 miles from home so it's not that surprising that he's moved his mates up with him I don't believe there are suggestions that he isn't doing what's being asked of him but maybe he isn't going the extra mile that's required to impress Mourinho there was maybe something similar with Martial. Mourinho likes to test a player and see how he reacts to a bit of criticism and crying off to your agent isn't the reaction he wants but it's sort of what he got from Shaw I wonder if Shaw is struggling with the mental recovery from that injury and maybe he's lost that focus you need to be a top level footballer.

I'd like to hope that we will take our time with him rather than just make a rash decision we might regret let him go away with the U21 in the summer get his fitness and hopefully next season he comes back fully focused and ready to go if he isn't send him out on loan.

The only issue might be his contract assuming he signed a 5 year deal when he signed at the end of this season he's 3 seasons in which means after this summer his transfer value starts to drop drastically it might be that the club need to extend his deal if they are thinking of sending him out on loan or they just take the gamble that he'll never get back to the level he was at and sell him on.

This is the problem with the current structure of the club you have these cold ruthless managers like LVG & Mourinho who are maybe a bit old school when it comes to a youngster who maybe needs an arm around the shoulder and a bit of love where do they go to get that?

I mean why isn't Shaw getting minutes with the U23's if he's short on fitness?

It's a problem faced by lots of managers with young English talent. Warren Joyce was vocal after he left about our own youngsters, he was left frustrated by seeing young talent work hard to get to a good level and then lack the desire to progress.

Does U23s even help fitness? I'd imagine training sessions have more intensity.

I've just been reading it's attitude that's the problem, and doesn't work hard enough.

He's off to Spurs and Jose wants Mendy.

It's a problem faced by lots of managers with young English talent. Warren Joyce was vocal after he left about our own youngsters, he was left frustrated by seeing young talent work hard to get to a good level and then lack the desire to progress.

Does U23s even help fitness? I'd imagine training sessions have more intensity.

It's easy to blame the player BUT life becomes so easy when you get the breakthrough Shaw's Utd contract if you believe the £100k a week rumours means hes guaranteed £25m in salary (before tax) by the time he's 23/24. He never has to work again and he's got that contract off the back of 1 good season at Southampton and it's the reward for all his work in the youth teams. I think it's a huge problem in English academies the young players get way way way to much to soon and if you're motivated by money rather than success that's a problem. Shaw chose Utd who finished 7th over Chelsea (his boyhood club) who finished 3rd because we offered more money that should've set alarm bells ringing.

Footballers aren't robots Shaw worked his nuts off in the summer of 2015 to get himself super fit after LVG criticised his fitness level 1 month into the season some idiot broke his leg with a bad tackle that went totally unpunished. I think psychologically that must mess you up and we know he's a bit mentally fragile so the way Mourinho has handled him makes me think they just won't work together.

Surely it's better than no football a combination of U23 games as part of a tailored training programme? Mourinho doesn't seem to want to use first team players in U23 games can't think of many examples of senior guys playing in reserves.

If we can get £25-30m back for him then maybe let him go if Mourinho has identified a LB he can work with but it'd be a shame if he does go as the talent is obvious it just needs nurturing

Not in the match day squad against West Brom and youngsters on the bench would suggest he is unlikely to be at United next season.

Manchester United player Luke Shaw slated by Jose Mourinho

When asked what Shaw had to do to return to the squad, Mourinho replied: "Who?

Luke Shaw?

"Luke Shaw? It’s difficult for him to be on the bench b ecause I cannot compare him with Ashley Young, with Darmian, with Blind.

"I cannot compare the way he trains, the way he commits, the focus, the ambition. I cannot compare. He is a long way behind."

When a journalist enquired whether more should be expected from an England international, Mourinho added: " Joe Hart is an English international and is playing on loan in Italy."

While he isn't saying he's selling him in the summer it seems pretty obvious that unless there's a dramatic change in attitude that Shaw will be gone if you can't get in the team in your own position ahead of a RB, LM & CM all playing out of position ahead of you then something is very very wrong.

Saying stuff like that is hardly going to go down well with the board as that's knocked 10% off the asking price straight away ha ha

You wonder if this was Mourinho's last show publically shame Luke Shaw and see if he reacts if he gets the right one he might force his way back in because if he sorts his attitude out he's straight in the team as he's a much better LB than all the other options but I just feel it's gone beyond the point of no return for him.

Him being pictured a the Lowry hotel just means he's in the match day sqaud but it will be interesting to see if he makes the 18.

Quite possible it is Mourinho playing his last hand. Has tried a few times to help him, before this he has spoken positively about Shaw. He hoped that giving him a chance against Bournemouth last month would be a turning point for him, obviously it wasn't. This time he's tried something different, he's criticised him publicly and will maybe start him tomorrow now. It's not his match performance that is in question though. Mourinho knows he's a very good player, he's just disappointed that Shaw isn't applying that on a day to day basis and isn't doing more to become an even better player.

He must have been bloody good in training today if he's back in :D

It's either the Hail Mary attempt or his way of stopping the questions about Shaw from the media before and after games and turning the public opinion on the player for sale in the summer. Seems to recall similar things happening to Lukaku & De Bruyne at Chelsea when he grew tired on them.

I hope if he isn't in the plans we try a year on loan somewhere first before we chuck the towel in

It could just be he doesn't want to be at the club so is sulking. Probably wants Spurs move to happen. I did mention in another thread, held talks with Jose yesterday and is back in the squad by all accounts.

Would Spurs want him unless they're losing Rose which I'm not totally convinced they are he signed a new 5 year deal in the summer so why would you join a club where you will be 2nd choice? Also, he's on a lot of money at Utd and we won't be giving him away for nothing and they already have a perfectly good backup LB in Ben Davies when you dig into the detail it just doesn't seem to stack up if Rose is going to City then maybe it all works but I'm not totally convinced Rose wants to leave Spurs for City unless they're offering crazy money which he just can't turn down.

Lets hope the clear the air talks result in a change in attitude from Shaw and he can find his way back into the team he is without doubt our best option at LB he just needs to show the manager that he wants it.

I think City are going to go full on for Rose, Pep will get what he needs for his defence to play as he wants. And if Spurs can get Shaw they will sell. Typical Levy fashion, rinse City for Rose, get Shaw on the cheap :-D

I was just guessing why he would have a poor attitude really. Lets hope he is ready to turn it around.

Luke Shaw used his body with my brain, says Man Utd boss Jose Mourinho

"He was in front of me and I was making every decision for him," said Mourinho.

"He has to change his football brain."

"We need his fantastic physical and technical qualities but he cannot play with my brain," added the Old Trafford manager, who sent on Shaw only after Ashley Young's injury.

"He must accelerate the process. Twenty-one is old enough to have a better understanding. He has a future here but Manchester United cannot wait."

Why focus on the negatives? Instead of the positives, Shaw came on and influenced the game for me. Maybe he was getting instructions but don't say it in public, that's gonna demoralise him further. The treatment of Shaw has been disgusting in terms of the comments to the media from Jose. Fair enough say it all in training or behind close doors, but to air it all in public is terrible.

He's obviously decided he's taking the tough love route with Shaw now. Shaw requested the meeting then Mourinho put him in the match day squad and gave him a chance and I think Shaw took it last night. He was good when he came on.

I don't believe for a moment though Shaw was following Mourinhos instructions there is no way Mourinho wants his left back 25 yards from goal in the centre of the pitch hitting volleys!

The United social media pages posting about 'Luke Shaws solid cameo' which is only good news. There was a media blackout on Bastian when he was expected to leave.

Those comments last night from Mourinho about Shaw were a disgrace to say those things publically was pathetic and I've lost a lot of respect for him saying that basically Shaw came on and looked good because he was being told exactly what to do. Why make that public? Why not just discuss it with Shaw in private after the game? Why try and take the credit for his performance? Did Mourinho tell him to put in the 5 or 6 cr*p crosses that he put in?

The whole thing was disgusting imo and he's clearly forcing him out he had no intention of playing Shaw last night he started Blind at LB he then made a sub at HT that put a CM to RB and the RB to LB rather than just put him on. He only came on because Young got injured in the 2nd half and had to come off and he didn't need the defensive option of Darmian if Valencia was playing at RB then it would've been Darmian on over Shaw. Shaw made the bench because Valencia was rested and Mourinho's intention imo was to sit him there for 90 minutes

It's getting beyond a joke now on this one

I wouldn't read too much into it. If there is a personality clash then Shaw will be history, Fergie did it many times with good players. It's just the way it is. He slated Beckham in the press along with many.

It might just be he thinks this is the treatment he needs.

Whatever it is, I wouldn't over think it, if he goes he goes. Get behind the manager, he is one of the best if not the best around, he knows what he doing.

I don't think Fergie was ever this relentless over it he called out Shaw on Sunday over his attitude they apparently had clear the air talks the following day Shaw gets a spot on the bench and comes on and plays ok then he's getting told by the manager that he doesn't have the necessary brain to play football. Why would the manager want to do that?

Fine we want to sell Shaw and move on it's annoying because he's got fantastic potential but the manager has the final call on this but slamming him like this in the press is hardly going to help with the sale he's clearly trying to turn the fans on Shaw so when he does bomb him out the fans don't question him. I personally think that's wrong imagine if your boss at work said stuff like this in front of all your work colleagues it's bullying and I'd be surprised if other members of the squad aren't thinking do they really want to be around a manager like Mourinho.

Apart from Rojo has he made anyone already at the club any better this season? I do wonder if the modern player is falling over himself to play for Mourinho would you be desperate to play for a guy who at any moment could chuck you under the bus?

I just feel this has become a very public spat between manager and player where the player can't say anything and it's totally needless this could all be kept behind closed doors I'm all for a manager helping his player through a game where he can that's part of management but don't try and take all the credit for it afterwards in public if his football brain is that good maybe he should put himself on next game

If Mourinhos footballing brain is that good why did he fail to notice playing Fellaini/Carrick was a terrible idea at HT?

He lost a lot of respect all around last night. I'll defend him to others that aren't United fans but I'll be honest here and it was a shocking performance From Mourinho tactically and even poorer with his comments after.

In the side today. Mourinho seems to have softened his stance. Said even if Shaw doesn't play well today this isn't a case of being his last chance.

Says the attitude has improved which is what he wanted but Young injured, Rojo having to play CB means there are games for him to play as I don't think he rates Blind at LB

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back