Luke Shaw | Match Discussion thread 2020/21

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sideshow Bob

Match discussion thread for discussing Luke Shaw's performances.

Man Utd 1 - 3 Crystal Palace

Didn’t get himself back into position for the first goal was jogging rather than sprinting to get back goalside of Townsend.

Didn’t really offer a lot going forward gets into good positions but rarely provides a killer ball or move to open up space for others.

Spoke out after the game saying Utd need to sign some better quality players not sure how that will go down with the manager and his team mates especially when one of the positions we seem to want to strengthen is his.

Spoke out after the game saying Utd need to sign some better quality players not sure how that will go down with the manager and his team mates especially when one of the positions we seem to want to strengthen is his.

Yup, pots and kettles.

I think Shaw is an OK LB. He's decent in defense, he offers an option going forwards. But he's not great at either, he's not great going forwards to be fair. But he won't be the reason United can't contend either.

Didn’t get himself back into position for the first goal was jogging rather than sprinting to get back goalside of Townsend.

Didn’t really offer a lot going forward gets into good positions but rarely provides a killer ball or move to open up space for others.

Yep, these days he always seems to be looking for the simple pass to someone else who may provide the killer ball instead of trying to create himself

Yep, these days he always seems to be looking for the simple pass to someone else who may provide the killer ball instead of trying to create himself

To be honest I think he's always been this way there was a very brief spell end of his first season/start of his second where he looked to really attack the penalty box but since that leg break he's never really got that back in his game.

Also, think his touch is a little slack at times it's only minor but it gives defenders a chance to recover.

What he does do well is make the overlap that can open space up for Rashford or the attacker on that wing but by doing that you need to be able to hurt the opponent if they actually play you in and I just don't think Shaw ever really does that.

He's just a very average player in my opinion it's why even when he's returned to fitness he still can't get in the England squad despite us not really having options at left back.

Premier League: Newcastle United 1-4 Manchester United - 17th October 2020

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Very unfair to highlight that and nothing more of his contribution to the game. That was just an extremely unfortunate moment

Premier League: Everton 1-3 Manchester United - 7th November 2020

Played well nice cross to setup the 1st goal was surprised to see him come off can’t have been tactical but he didn’t seem to be suggesting he was injured maybe concerns over fitness as he’s played a lot.

Fair play to him he’s had a good run of form in recent games despite bad results he’s been playing well.

Tbh I think shaw has done ok this season. Of course he is Injured again bow so that will stop

Yeah I saw Ole confirmed the injury post game in his rather chippy press conference hopefully nothing serious 2 weeks off now to recover.

Telles should also be available so some pressure on his spot which I think is a good thing he needs to rise to it.

Just hits a bit of form and surprise surprise injury hits.

4-6 weeks with hamstring injury.

Wonder if this means we go back 3 in more games to utilise Telles in an attacking role.

Shaw has done OK this season, but that is it, just OK. Done well in his defensive duties but he really does constantly kill momentum when he crosses the half way line. All the constant stopping then playing the square pass with deliberation. It is so predictable and allows our opponents to organise themselves and stifle our attempts through the middle.
We need some width and quality delivery at times.
You could look to his cross for Bruno against Everton I suppose but even that was slow and deliberated. Had it been us that had conceded that goal and gave an attacker such a free header we would have tore our defence apart with heavy criticism.
I think it will be interesting to have a few games with a forced change and have a good look at what Telles has to offer.

I think he was crap in the first few weeks of the season looked very rusty and all over the place but since that PSG game he's actually got into a bit of good form.

Not saying he's suddenly a world beater far from it but he was looking much improved from those early weeks. I see him as a pretty limited full back probably a 6/10 player defensively and a 5/10 player attacking wise.

I missed the PSG game so haven't had chance to see Telles yet but guess we'll be seeing quite a bit of him after the internationals.

United 0-0 City

Not a flashy defender by any means but we’ve missed him. He is rock solid in defence and while his attacking prowess can be limited I always have faith he’ll stifle the right winger.

Obviously we have not seen a great deal of Telles but I have to be honest my first impressions are not particularly good. He does not look a great defender, and to be honest I do not see him getting forward any better than Shaw. What he does have is better delivery than Shaw. I do not think I would trust him defensively in a big game over Shaw.

Telles crossing is much better than Shaws but yeah other than that he’s not looked great.

Shaw was very good yesterday probably my man of the match.

Premier League: Leicester City 2-2 Manchester United - 26th December 2020

Thought he was really good today the arrival of Telles May have been the kick up the backside he needed.

Premier League: Manchester United 1-0 Wolverhampton Wanderers - 29th December 2020

Thought he was very good when he came on last night and we instantly looked more secure. He was also good in the attacking third. Like jsp said above, I think the arrival of Telles has given him a little nudge and he has responded. Probably our best defender to be honest.

Thought the whole defence did well last night Maguire and Bailly handled their two tricky forwards pretty well.

Shaw made us much better Telles was way to high in the first half getting in Rashford’s way and Matic was having to cover him leaving Pogba alone in midfield and unable to push on. I do think this was a tactic looking to get crosses in for Cavani but it didn’t work so Ole was right to change it.

Shaw played a little deeper which gave the winger more space before Shaw moves forward and allowed Matic to be more central and free Pogba to push forward.

Is Shaw a world class left back no but he’s a solid performer that seems to have put his fitness issues behind him which is a positive.

Is Shaw a world class left back no but he’s a solid performer that seems to have put his fitness issues behind him which is a positive.
Oh jezzo, that bottle of Advocaat must have taken a hammering

Oh jezzo, that bottle of Advocaat must have taken a hammering

He might look like he’s smuggling a tub of roses under his shirt but he’s rarely injured now which was a huge problem for about 2 years after he came back from the leg break.

Given how much weight I’ve piled on in the last month I’m in no position to criticise Shaw at the moment but the good news is the Christmas snack supply has dwindled and after tomorrow the booze will be getting eased too.

He might look like he’s smuggling a tub of roses under his shirt but he’s rarely injured now which was a huge problem for about 2 years after he came back from the leg break.

Given how much weight I’ve piled on in the last month I’m in no position to criticise Shaw at the moment but the good news is the Christmas snack supply has dwindled and after tomorrow the booze will be getting eased too.
Its actually not that long ago Shaw was injured and only the bravest would bet against him being injured again in the near future. that's my point.
By fitness issues, I presumed that included injury issues.

Pretty much every Telles performance has been a Luke Shaw Appreciation Clinic. I think Shaw is a good fullback. What is lacking is a coherent tactic devised by the coaches. Against Wolves we were no more tactically astute than your average high school team. We go to the edge of their box and whipped in a cross and hoped it would find Cavani. I didn't see a single instance of finding the third man runner, or switching play, or early crosses. It was all basic stuff, but we won, so we live to fight another day.

Premier League Burnley 0-1 Man Utd - Tue 12th Jan

Another good performance maybe got a touch lucky to avoid the red card with the VAR review but I think they got it right with the yellow, was robbed of an assist on the Maguire header but put his body on the line to win the header vs Mee at the end which maybe saved an equaliser.

This is the best run of form he's had at the club he's improved a lot this season just small improvements. His crossing is better, his touch is better, positioning improved. If it's just natural progress from being fit and working with coaches or the arrival of Telles has given him a kick up the backside whatever it is it's working and hopefully it can continue.

Surely he's got to be getting back in the England squad next time around given our shortage of left back options and his form it should be nailed on.

Premier League: Liverpool 0-0 Manchester United - 17th January 2021

He was excellent and United’s best player on the day.

He’s kicked on to another level this season

Absolutely brilliant today, didn't give Salah a sniff.

He has been good all season. I think the combination of a horrific injury and a manager screaming at him down the touchline dented his confidence. He is one of Oles success stories.

He has definitely taken his game up to another level. Think he has been superb of late and is nailed on to get back in the England squad and he is far better than Chilwell playing like this.

He's got to be nailed on for the Euro's if he keeps up this form but Southgate doesn't seem to be a fan of Shaw but this version of Shaw looks a different player to the one we saw before. Not sure he can knock Chilwell out of the starting spot he's having a good season at Chelsea but can certainly give him a good run for his money.

Premier League: Manchester United 9-0 Southampton

Another terrific performance. His attacking output has improved dramatically this season. Would say on current form he’s the best left back in the league, long may it continue.

He's been excellant for the last few months really seems to have kicked on to another level this is by far the best run of form he's had.

His defending and positioning is much improved and going forward he is now a real threat so whatever has caused it happy days lets hope he can sustain this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back