0​
0​
0​
0​

Previous Seasons
Luke Shaw | Match Discussion thread 2017/18
Luke Shaw | Match Discussion thread 2016/17
Luke Shaw | Match Discussion thread 2015/16

Out for a month according to early reports.

International break coming up so might only miss a few games.

Had an ok start but no left footed back up creates a problem.

So Young to replace him? That would be depressing.

Wonder if Ole may look to the youth team to Brandon Williams. As Dalot is injured isn’t he? And Darmian is well, not sure really where he is.

My guess is Young he seems the obvious choice.

Dalot is injured as is Laird according to twitter.

Rojo and Darmian also options but hopefully by next weekend they’ll both be out the door but who knows.

Would be nice to see a youngster given a chance with some established players in the back 4 you’d hope he’d be looked after. I’d rather see a kid than Young especially if he’s a natural left footer as even with Shaw here that position is very much up for grabs.

Bring in a youngster? Got to be better than Young. And anyway I'm not sure Shaw is actually that good.

Me neither left back for me is a position where improvements could be made but it wasn't top priority for this summer other areas needed addressing first.

Shaw is just a funny player he's alright defensively and he's alright going forward which is fine but Utd have committed huge money to him and I do wonder if they made a mistake not cashing out when they had the chance.

Shaw is solid but not spectacular. The only other naturally left footer who can play left back apart from Rojo is Mitchell but he’s fallen off the first team radar.

I think this kind of epitomises our lack of squad options and unbalance. Our squad options are pretty poor where as City have Mendy, Zinchenko and Angelino just for left back but now we are going to have to whack Young in there now Shaw is out. We seem to just rely on fill in players who can do a job if required like Darmian and Young.

Yep squad balance is all over the place in theory we've got 7 centre backs 5 right backs and 1 left back before you even dip into the youth team setup some are injured and some might leave this week but it makes horrible viewing when you actually see it written down.

CB - Maguire, Lindelöf, Jones, Smalling, Rojo, Tuenzebe, Bailly
RB -AWB, Dalot, Young, Darmian, Fosu-Mensah
LB -Shaw

It pains me to say it but the most natural replacement is Rojo as he's actually left footed and has spent a lot of his career playing as a left back but hopefully he leaves this week so probably stuck with Young.

Premier League: Arsenal 2-0 Manchester United - 1st January 2020

There’ll be growing pressure for Williams to start instead of Shaw.

Think we need to invest in Williams now. Shaw is so passive in his approach play and dawdles so much it’s hard to watch. He promised so much when he arrived but there is no sign of that young tearaway full back at Southampton.

Shaw is clueless, and should only play if Williams is unavailable for selection.

I support that pressure. If that represented a fully fit Shaw, then he has horribly regressed. Williams is currently a much better option.

My biggest problem with Ole isn’t Lingard or Periera both of who I can understand having to play. My biggest problem is Luke Shaw.

I can’t remember who gave him the new 5 year deal Ole or Mourinho but Williams is already the better player. We look a different team attacking wise with Williams in the left and I don’t think Shaw offers that much more benefit defensively.

sounded like, on the radio, Arsenal targeted him as the weak link.

Arsenal did go for him but really the success was coming down the other side early on Kolasinac was running riot from left back.

Shaw was dreadful just doesn’t look at it looks slowboth physically and mentally doesn’t spot the danger quickly and can’t recover when he does finally see it.

His new deal came under Mourinho and he was ok last season got our POTY award somehow but he’s going backwards again.

Williams I think will be used more as the season goes on and Utd should be willing to listen to offers for Shaw but with his wages he isn’t going anywhere.

What I hate with Shaw is his dawdling on the ball, the ball has to be moved quickly but he just keeps it for so long and then has to pass backwards or is dispossessed. It stunts out play and Williams has to start getting more opportunities. Even Young is a better option for me right now.

Premier League: Liverpool 2-0 Manchester United - 19th January 2020

He was very good at centre back. United’s second best player after Fred.

Europa League: FC Brugge 1-1 Manchester United - 20th February 2020

Another good performance at left centre back.

Could centre back be his position in the future?

The problem with him playing CB in a back 3 is he and Williams play in the same game there’s no rest for either and they played Monday and one will play Sunday .no rest.

Not for me, far too many lapses in concentration during games.
I kind of agree, but I see the problem as Shaw is forcing himself to play in a manner he just isn't suited to. He looks and plays like a deep defensive midfielder. He doesn't have the pace nor the skills to be an attacking full back. Part of it is his body shape, but also as mentioned his reading of the game lead to too many mistakes. I don't know about him as a centerback even in a back 3 because he still gets dragged way out of position too easily. I think Shaw peaked a long time ago, sadly.

One thing it certainly shows is how far Jones has fallen.

Think he works well in a 3 as a centre back but not sure about in a 2 once Utd sort the wide positions out this summer I don’t see us using the back 3 next season.

Long term it might be the best position for him he’ll never be that rampaging full back he looked like he could be in his early years so he will have to adapt.

Think he’s been fantastic the last few weeks. His defending has been top notch, obviously would love him to add more attacking threat but I think he’s finally starting to show the form before his leg break.

He looks stronger and dare I say a little bit quicker than he's been in recent year.

The only issue now is he's on a lot of money to be a squad player but that is our fault, I think you need options at full back in the modern game having Williams and Shaw competing for that 1 spot I think is healthy for the squad.

I have to say reports of Luke Shaw's senescence were premature. He's been great the last few weeks.
Your only as good as your last game. Consistency is needed if you are to play at the top level, so now that he is having a bit of a resurgence he should be considered on trial until the end of the season.

Your only as good as your last game. Consistency is needed if you are to play at the top level, so now that he is having a bit of a resurgence he should be considered on trial until the end of the season.
Either way, dude, I'm just happy for the guy, and happy for us because we have a good player that is almost like a new signing.

FA Cup: Derby County 0-3 Manchester United - 5th March 2020

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

No doubt it’s Shaw’s goal. Didn’t even realise there was an argument there

I think the way stats work the last attacking player to get the touch even if it's a deflection gets the goal.

Remember one years ago where Nani banged one in vs Spurs but it flicked off Tevez who had his back turned so while everyone considers it a Nani goal I think they officially gave it to Tevez.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back