Status
Not open for further replies.
Ruled out of the Watford game due to the head injury he suffered on international duty.

He's fine but the fact he suffered a suspected concussion means he has to sit out for 7 days.

It's a shame as I think he was a catalyst for our performance against Burnley and instrumental in us moving the ball forwards a bit faster than we have been. Young is a dependable player to come in but him and Valencia is just too defensive. Dalot has tweeted that he's preparing for the Watford game so perhaps we'll see him in the side.

I think Watford away he'll go for the older more experienced guys wouldn't be surprised if he goes with the back 3 and plays with wing backs.

It's a real shame for Shaw lets just hope it's only 1 game he sits out and he's straight back into the swing after he's cleared by the doctors.

Champions League: Young Boys 0-3 Manchester United - 19th September 2018

Another encouraging performance.

Yeah didn’t really get forward as much as normal but nice solid performance

He's certainly offering more coming forward than Young and does get back well. He did miss a few occasions napping on the wing when he should have been making a forward run to collect a though pass.

Premier League: Manchester United 3-1 Huddersfield Town - 26th December 2018

Thought he was poor today think the 2 games back to back after injury might have been a bit much.

Think he might end up sitting the next one out.

Club need to find another left back option this summer.

So half way through his first full season post injury as the Man Utd left back what do we think?

He started the season in very eye catching form but that has tailed off a little the positives are he’s stayed fairly healthy missed one or two matches here and there but nothing to alarming.

I think he’s looking ok showing signs of developing into a decent full back but I’m not seeing signs of him becoming a truely world class one just yet.

I’m in two minds about him in truth. I think he’s had a decent season but right now he looks a good old reliable left back but not someone who is really pushing on. I think his defending has actually come along quite nicely but he seems a little tentative when coming forward to be honest, he prefers to play short passes rather than look for something a little more expansive. We definitely need another option to challenge him.

I think fitness is still building to be one of the modern super left backs you need to be a marathon man when it comes to the distance covered and still able to sprint forward in the 90th minute Shaw to me doesn’t have that in the locker right now. The question is will he ever have that as he didn’t have it when he joined being able to go full throttle 3 times in 7 days is a requirement these days.

I think Utd need to sign a left back in the summer not to replace Shaw but to compete with him and keep pushing him as I don’t think he’s done enough to be a nailed on starter next season but he’s the position in least need of an upgrade at the back.

I think his overlapping is poor, there are so many times when Tony M has the ball and I'm shouting for Shaw to bomb on but he stays static waiting for a short pass. I know he can do it though cos I've seen it. His decision making or pie eating is getting in the way of good runs.

FA Cup: Arsenal 1-3 Manchester United - 25th January 2019

One of his better performances this season.

Thought he was excellent last night more of this please.

FA Cup: Chelsea 0-2 Manchester United - 18th February 2019

He defended very well.

At the beginning I thought he looked a little heavy, but they way he got over to cover Smalling was brilliant.

Think his form has picked up massively in the last month after a bit of a slump you can see teams tend to avoid his side of the pitch and go down our right hand side.

Big task coming up on Sunday keeping Salah under control.

The good news is the fitness that was lacking in previous years now seems to be there he's lasting 90 minutes and isn't fading in games the way he was.

Premier League: Manchester United 0-0 Liverpool - 24th February 2019

He was very good.

Was excellent today, his defensive game has improved no end. If he improved his attacking play then he would be one hell of a left back.

He's improved massively defensively. His attacking game needs to improve for him to be considered a definite first choice left back. Top clubs need great attacking full backs for the majority of the season to break down the compact defences of the bottom half teams. Wingers cut in now so you need attacking full backs to provide width and something different.

Regardless, I think we need to find another left back to compete with him, it doesn't have to be an expensive one, Robertson cost them about £10m and he's possibly the best in the league now and we need to find one of those.

Shaw has been brilliant over the last month he's really stepped it back up again after a bit of a mid season lull.

I think the club need someone to compete with him and keep pushing him but I don't think it needs to be a £50m starter signing it needs to be a clever signing who's happy to be the backup but reliable when called upon bit like Danillo is for City.

Someone like Chilwell from Leicester would be fine for me. 2 young English left backs pushing each other to be better.

You’re laying £50m for Chilwell in today’s market

That’s the issue taking a starter especially an English one from a Prem club is going to be a lot but take a player like Digne or Bernat who moved last summer for reasonable fees and could plug a gap.

Is their anyone in the academy who could step up as cover? Mitchell seemed to be progressing but I know he’s had some injury problems and was seen as more of a wing back than full back.

That’s the issue taking a starter especially an English one from a Prem club is going to be a lot but take a player like Digne or Bernat who moved last summer for reasonable fees and could plug a gap.

Is their anyone in the academy who could step up as cover? Mitchell seemed to be progressing but I know he’s had some injury problems and was seen as more of a wing back than full back.
Not really, think George Tanner is quite highly thought of mainly because of his attacking qualities but not a guy who you would instantly say oh this guys got it. Brandon Williams also but haven’t seen a hell of a lot of him and think he’s one of those dual guys who can operate at right and left back. Like you say Mitchell is still about but is having some injury problems which have pretty much plagued him for a few years now.

Right back is where we are well stocked, I would bet good money on Laird making it here. O’Connor is also a fine prospect there.

Not really, think George Tanner is quite highly thought of mainly because of his attacking qualities but not a guy who you would instantly say oh this guys got it. Brandon Williams also but haven’t seen a hell of a lot of him and think he’s one of those dual guys who can operate at right and left back. Like you say Mitchell is still about but is having some injury problems which have pretty much plagued him for a few years now.

Right back is where we are well stocked, I would bet good money on Laird making it here. O’Connor is also a fine prospect there.

Think Dalot is another one of these duel operators but they're always more comfortable on the stronger foot side. They can deal with the positional part of the game defensively but where they really struggle is when they go forward as they need to go outside so they need the strong foot to be on the outside you don't get many full backs who play at a high level on the wrong side.

In the summer both Darmian and Valencia are going so that frees up some space in the squad at full back? That leaves you with Dalot, Young & Shaw as full backs next season so it's either promote from within from the academy or someone coming back from loan like Fosu-Mensah or Tuenzebe. TFM has had 2 really poor years out on loan will they give him a chance here as for him it's got to be stay and fight or leave for good Tuenzebe is doing well at Villa but I wonder if Utd might try to cash in on these boys to fund first team spending maybe with some security of buy back clauses.

Brandon Williams is a right footed left back. At that level he is a very powerful runner going forward but it remains to be seen if he can take that up another level. If we had to bring in a full back from the academy it would probably be lee o Connor atm.

Premier League: Crystal Palace 1-3 Manchester United - 27th February 2019

He was good again.

Withdrawn from England squad.

Premier League: Manchester United 2-1 Watford - 30th March 2019

Top pass for Rashford's goal. Good performance.

Man of the match yesterday for me both ends of the field he was fantastic.

Think he had a bit of a poor run of form towards the end of Jose’s reign but he’s come back strong again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back