Luke Shaw | Match Discussion thread 2018/19

jsp

Ruled out of the Watford game due to the head injury he suffered on international duty.

He's fine but the fact he suffered a suspected concussion means he has to sit out for 7 days.

IDFD

It's a shame as I think he was a catalyst for our performance against Burnley and instrumental in us moving the ball forwards a bit faster than we have been. Young is a dependable player to come in but him and Valencia is just too defensive. Dalot has tweeted that he's preparing for the Watford game so perhaps we'll see him in the side.

jsp

I think Watford away he'll go for the older more experienced guys wouldn't be surprised if he goes with the back 3 and plays with wing backs.

It's a real shame for Shaw lets just hope it's only 1 game he sits out and he's straight back into the swing after he's cleared by the doctors.

Sideshow Bob

Champions League: Young Boys 0-3 Manchester United - 19th September 2018

Another encouraging performance.

jsp

Yeah didn’t really get forward as much as normal but nice solid performance

Red Warrior

He's certainly offering more coming forward than Young and does get back well. He did miss a few occasions napping on the wing when he should have been making a forward run to collect a though pass.

jsp

Premier League: Manchester United 3-1 Huddersfield Town - 26th December 2018

Thought he was poor today think the 2 games back to back after injury might have been a bit much.

Think he might end up sitting the next one out.

Club need to find another left back option this summer.

jsp

So half way through his first full season post injury as the Man Utd left back what do we think?

He started the season in very eye catching form but that has tailed off a little the positives are he’s stayed fairly healthy missed one or two matches here and there but nothing to alarming.

I think he’s looking ok showing signs of developing into a decent full back but I’m not seeing signs of him becoming a truely world class one just yet.

I’m in two minds about him in truth. I think he’s had a decent season but right now he looks a good old reliable left back but not someone who is really pushing on. I think his defending has actually come along quite nicely but he seems a little tentative when coming forward to be honest, he prefers to play short passes rather than look for something a little more expansive. We definitely need another option to challenge him.

jsp

I think fitness is still building to be one of the modern super left backs you need to be a marathon man when it comes to the distance covered and still able to sprint forward in the 90th minute Shaw to me doesn’t have that in the locker right now. The question is will he ever have that as he didn’t have it when he joined being able to go full throttle 3 times in 7 days is a requirement these days.

I think Utd need to sign a left back in the summer not to replace Shaw but to compete with him and keep pushing him as I don’t think he’s done enough to be a nailed on starter next season but he’s the position in least need of an upgrade at the back.

Red Warrior

I think his overlapping is poor, there are so many times when Tony M has the ball and I'm shouting for Shaw to bomb on but he stays static waiting for a short pass. I know he can do it though cos I've seen it. His decision making or pie eating is getting in the way of good runs.