Premier League 0
FA Cup 0
League Cup 0
Europa League 0

Previous Seasons
Luke Shaw | Match Discussion thread 2016/17
Luke Shaw | Match Discussion thread 2015/16

Luke Shaw | Match Discussion thread 2014/15

He got through it ok. Played at centre half and looked comfortable on the ball but his positioning wasn't great. I guess for him it is about getting the minutes in.

All about minutes for Shaw hopefully with midweek games coming in now he isn't far off a first team return, Blind tries his best but not sure he's got the engine to play 2 games at full back every week.

League Cup: Manchester United 4-1 Burton Albion

I missed the second half. How did he play?

From memory excellant would be a bit over the top but he looked fine obviously still getting his fitness levels up and he played more of a wing back role than as a full back but the opposition meant he wasn't really up against much and what he was asked to do he did fine.

I don't expect to see him in the next game but we have a busy period coming up before the next international break so he will get more minutes and him going away with either the U21 or senior team to play some games might not be the end of the world.

He was the best attacking threat we've had down the left side all season. He looked good going forward and made one great recovery challenge.

He was the best attacking threat we've had down the left side all season. He looked good going forward and made one great recovery challenge.

Think Martial & Rashford might have something to say about being the best left side players but I take your point.

I think Blind has been pretty good so far going forward when he's played on the left he's been the best of the 3 but Shaw gives us a lot more as it's his natural position and he's attacking on his strong foot.

The big thing for him is fitness you have to be super fit to play the modern full back role and that was one of the things that was most gutting about his leg break as it looked like he'd finally got his fitness to the right level after an iffy first season where even LVG called him out on it.

I think everyone wants him to get it back this season but Utd can't keep waiting for him it feels like if he doesn't prove he's over his injuries this season then Utd will have no choice but to replace him either by promoting Mitchell from the academy or more likely signing a new left back.

Marginally offside, still awaiting his first career goal! Was a threat going forward, think he made a couple of mistakes in our own half but may be wrong.

Champions League: Manchester United v CSKA Moscow - 5th December 2017

He has done well in the first half.

Great going forward but caught out a bit on the goal.

I wonder which bit our manager will remember.

Very good performance and 90 mins. I thought before the game that even if he played well tonight, it's what he does from now that'll dictate when he next plays, played well but now needs to really impress Mourinho off the pitch and in training. I don't think his exclusions have been solely match performance related, there's more to it than that I don't care what anyone says.

See Mourinho after the game praised Shaws performance. Said it was normal to be tired after 80 mins and that he'll definitely get more chances now he's returning to fitness.

He was good last night, much better then I thought he'd be after such a lack of games.

I'm a Shaw fan and I'd love to see him stay. The whole Shaw and Rashford/Martial thing on the left could be fantastic for years to come. Especially now we've got a Matic who wants to hold in midfield. But I just cant help thinking that was only words from Jose last night. No meaning to it. Is that the performance to prove to Jose and us that his back, better then ever and determined to get back in the United and England side? Or is that the performance to put him in the shop window ahead of both next month's and the summer window? I'm really not sure.

I think it all depends on what he's doing off the pitch if Mourinho feel's he's fully focused again like Martial is as both were in the same position last season then there is a future for him. Utd have a potentially top class left back and if they can get him fit and performing to the level we know he can then there's no need to spend £50m on a new one like Rose, but it's obviously a trust that needs to be earned.

It might be that Shaw has finally accepted it's Mourinho's way or the highway, the concern I'd have is Shaw isn't making any comments in public about wanting to stay and earn his place he's being very quiet. My gut feeling is Shaw is probably looking for a way out of Utd.

My guess is his next game will be against Bristol City in the League Cup then again vs Derby in the FA Cup if he impresses in these games then there's no reason he can't move ahead of Darmian/Blind as the backup to Young and if he can play like that put pressure on Young for that starting spot.

It was clear after the cramp that he was struggling but he battled through the last 10 minutes which will impress the manager but he needs to get his fitness to the level where he can last the 90 minutes as Mourinho won't want to start players who can't last 90 minutes.

Given our 4 left back options that performance last night was probably enough to jump him for number 4 to number 2 in terms of the pecking order based on form but fitness is the key thing now he's got to get himself 100% ready to go full throttle for 90 minutes.

Premier League: Manchester United 1-0 Bournemouth

Very promising this evening. Looks fit and sharp. It’s early days but this could be the beginnings of some sort of Shaw renaissance.

Putting himself in the shop window or signs of a potential comeback.

Him coming back fully fit would be the ideal scenario but worry is as soon as he starts to push harder he will breakdown again.

When he is playing to his potential signing a new LB seems a waste of money because there aren't many better. Don't know what goes on behind the scenes though do we.

League Cup: Bristol City 2-1 Manchester United - 20th December 2017

Another positive performance.

Felt for him at times last night. Did anyone else think that he made really positive wide runs and we just blanked him? He was hanging out on the flank and Pogba and Martial just kept coming inside and narrow.

Wheyy I can post again...

Thought it was a good run about for Shaw last night as he needs the minutes. Thought he applied himself well but didn't really see enough of the ball but that's not his fault.

Yep decent performance he's either putting himself in the shop window or I think we all hope slowly earning the managers trust, the thing I like about him is he wants to be on the front foot and try to intercept but at his very best he's got the speed to recover when it goes wrong.

Still a bit rusty in the final 1/3 of the pitch with his delivery but everything heading back in the right direction for him, you just wonder is it to little to late or will it be like Martial last season where Mourinho has finally broken him into the guy he wants him to be.

Premier League: Manchester United 2-2 Burnley - 26th December 2017

Another solid performance on the whole, although his crossing was indifferent and had the odd iffy moment defensively.

The team needs him and it seems like he’s putting a nice little run together will be interesting to see when Valencia gets fit who will be the first choice LB will it be Young or will Shaw have done enough to take his spot?

Not surprising he’s a little rusty like Zlatan & Royo he’s hardly played any football since April but if they get to make mistakes in the first team then so should he, Shaw at least did his rehab playing U23 games first whereas these 2 walked straight back in.

Premier League: Manchester United 0-0 Southampton - 30th December 2017

He's not ready to play two games in a week. He struggled to make overlapping runs.

Premier League: Manchester United 0-0 Southampton - 30th December 2017

He's not ready to play two games in a week. He struggled to make overlapping runs.
Yeah can’t disagree with that. I thought he actually played decent but by the end he was leggy. That was shown with the little ball through by Martial that he had to stretch for just to get it. A fully firing Shaw would have ran on to that and provided a good cross or shot.

Premier League: Everton 0-2 Manchester United - 1st January 2018

He played well.

Mourinho will be buzzing at that performance, everything he wants from a left back. Everton didn’t really offer much down that side but he dealt with everything and when the chance was there he went forward and provided good balls into the box.

Hopefully he stays fit as that position is his if he really wants it and it feels like he’s earned back the managers faith.

I think he has been terrific since coming back into the side, at times he is still a little naive defensively but he has given us a great option going forward. Young has done admirably well at left back but he doesn’t offer as much as a genuine left footer does there. One thing that I see now is that he’s also willing to get stuck in, I think that injury left his psyche a little frail and he was scared of getting injured. However, he’s now getting in there and making positive tackles. All the signs are good in truth and he seems to have won back the trust of Jose.

Think the positive is we are pushing him physically and he doesn’t look like he’s struggling, is the recovery finally complete?

Radio slagging Jose of about Shaw again yesterday, saying he is in his ear all game when the dugout is on his side. Mind you any chance to slag Jose. Apparently he also doesn't really want the united job, you can tell by his face :-/

Maybe Jose just doesn't fancy him in the long term.

Radio slagging Jose of about Shaw again yesterday, saying he is in his ear all game when the dugout is on his side. Mind you any chance to slag Jose. Apparently he also doesn't really want the united job, you can tell by his face :-/

Maybe Jose just doesn't fancy him in the long term.

These people clearly never watch Klopp, Pep or Conte who spend 90 minutes telling everyone exactly where they need to be on the pitch, it’s called coaching making sure a young player who has a bit of a habit of being out of position knows exactly where to be on the pitch.

The truth about the relationship will be when Young & Valencia are fit will Young be back to LB ahead of Shaw? For me it’s Shaw’s shirt now and Young lost it through bad discipline so he has to fight to get it back.

Premier League: Manchester United 3-0 Stoke City - 15th January 2018

How did he do against Stoke? he didn't get much of a mention on the radio.

Do we think he's doing enough to keep Young out? if Young comes back in does this mean the end for Shaw?

I'd love to see it work out at United for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back