Luke Shaw’s relationship with Jose Mourinho has reached a new low

Sideshow Bob

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Think the writing is on the wall now, either January or maybe the summer, Shaw plus money for Rose will do me

What an odd situation. Shaw is saying he has done everything in his power to get fit and Mourinho is not impressed with him.

Maybe it’s just time for him to move on and resurrect his career elsewhere. I would like to see it work for him though as he has some great qualities.

Maybe if he didn't go crying off to the papers every time he was given a. Challenge Mourinho might give him a better chance?

It's clear Mourinho doesn't have faith in him almost every game he's played since that injury he hasn't been able to last 90 minutes either he's subbed because he's tired or he gets injured. Think he played 1 full game in the last year?

My impression is Mou would've happily cut his losses in the summer and replaced him but the club have put so much money into this kid they want to keep him.

Be it physically or mentally right now you have to say Shaw isn't at the level to be a Utd player. We all know he had talent but what we don't know is does he still have it?

Could he be loaned out in January to prove himself?

It's becoming clear if he's the 4th choice then next summer we need to sell all 4 and buy a proper left back. If that Rose/Shaw swap deal is on and Rose is fully recovered from his injury I'd take it.

Ahh man such a shame for the lad. But if the manager doesn't like you, especially this manager, you have no chance. Here's hoping we can get some cash for him, he gets to play and succeed and we get a good LB in as replacement. Alex Sandro would be my choice.

Yeah I think if he can find a buyer in January he might go for that but may be happy to wait until the summer, can see him sorting out LB and RW this summer as his two main areas to strengthen, plus obviously if Zlatan stays or goes depending on the second half of the season.

Sandro or Rose, anyone really who can do a job and be consistent as it has been such an issue area for some time now, Shaw has had chance after chance and there just always seems to be something, he is not that important to us to warrant another season, this was supposed to be his season to re-establish himself and it is obviously not working for whatever reason.

Don’t understand how it’s gone south after Jose’s comments at the end of last season

Not sure mate, he just never looks fit Shaw, always looks like he has been out for a few pints of Guinness the night before

I wouldn't say he has had chance after chance, under JM I think he's maybe had one chance but as I say if the manager especially this manager takes issue then good luck!

From what have heard his attitude has been terrible when playing for the U23's, he just doesn't seem to help himself whether it be first team squad or the U23 side, I think Jose is just sick of his lackluster attitude, he hasn't come across over the last 18 months of pulling up trees to get back into the fold.

You don't know what goes on behind closed doors but I would be happy now to get rid and move on, 1 90 mins in what 18 months, not good enough

But who is telling you that? LVG sent Januzaj away because his 'attitude' in U23's was 'terrible' which was himself and Andreas Perriera trying to score the most outrageous goal. Sometimes that football is so poor it is hard to get the attitude right. I mean is that not why Pogba was let go too, his 'attitude' at U23 didn't warrant a start in the full team.

It's easy to blame an unquantifiable if you want rid. Shaw has played at Center Back in U23's as well as full back that could lead to 'attitude' issues. I just think the guy has got himself some way to fitness, he should be getting 30 minutes here or there followed by a half maybe somewhere and then 60 minutes essentially building him up to match fitness. But JM doesn't trust him and there's no changing his mind, seen it with many players at Chelsea the first time alone!

Unfortunately for luke if tbe manager doesn't trust him, rightly or wrongly, then the time has come to move on. I like him and he has tons of potential but sometimes a manager just doesn't fancy you and that manager has to live by his decisions.

Still very young and not really proven as been playing in Scotland but I think Kieran Tierney would be an excellent addition. Already very good and has the potential to go on to be one of the best around.

I'm afraid with JM Tierney would suffer the same as Shaw. Agree with Boots town which is what I've been saying in each post JM doesn't trust him and that is that really!

Well Shaw's case is a strange one really. Two successive managers have questioned his attitude and fitness. Makes one wonder if there isn't something to it. The injuries haven't helped certainly. Also mourinho is a no nonsense manager who will not give you a second chance if he feels you are not willing to give your all to the cause. Maybe mourinho is to partly blame for his current predicament but Shaw hasn't done himself many favours too.

Still very young and not really proven as been playing in Scotland but I think Kieran Tierney would be an excellent addition. Already very good and has the potential to go on to be one of the best around.
I don’t admit to watching a lot of the SPL but the times I have seen Celtic, Tierney has looked very accomplished and we could do a lot worse than go for him. But I agree with @the nuts named eric that he may well suffer the same fate as Shaw. Obviously they are two different player but I’m thinking Jose would rather put his trust in someone like Alex Sandro who is experienced at the top level.

The overall Shaw situation is pretty sad in truth, he has all the potential in the world but he’s doing something wrong to not even be considered for the league matchday squads. I have to agree with others around here when they say I think he’s gone either in January or at the end of the season. I would say he could just work as hard as he can to prove to Jose he belongs but sad to say I think that ship has sailed.

But who is telling you that? LVG sent Januzaj away because his 'attitude' in U23's was 'terrible' which was himself and Andreas Perriera trying to score the most outrageous goal. Sometimes that football is so poor it is hard to get the attitude right. I mean is that not why Pogba was let go too, his 'attitude' at U23 didn't warrant a start in the full team.

It's easy to blame an unquantifiable if you want rid. Shaw has played at Center Back in U23's as well as full back that could lead to 'attitude' issues. I just think the guy has got himself some way to fitness, he should be getting 30 minutes here or there followed by a half maybe somewhere and then 60 minutes essentially building him up to match fitness. But JM doesn't trust him and there's no changing his mind, seen it with many players at Chelsea the first time alone!

Mate and his son who go to all the youth games, U23 games as well as all the United games home and away so he might be in a half decent position to advise on how Shaw's "attitude" as you put it has been as he has seen it first hand. Told me he has struggled to complete 90 minutes in 3 appearances and if that's the case then he will go the same way as Adnan and Pereira, if your attitude, commitment and desire is not correct then Jose won't listen to excuses and he will be gone.

Can you honestly tell me he looks fit and raring to go? He has had about 18 months since his big injury so its not like he has not had time to get himself back fit, there is always something with him, 30m quid for 1 full 90 minutes in 12/18 months, no chance, cut our losses and move on.

Well Shaw's case is a strange one really. Two successive managers have questioned his attitude and fitness. Makes one wonder if there isn't something to it. The injuries haven't helped certainly. Also mourinho is a no nonsense manager who will not give you a second chance if he feels you are not willing to give your all to the cause. Maybe mourinho is to partly blame for his current predicament but Shaw hasn't done himself many favours too.

Agree with this, Miki, Martial have had the exact same treatment from Jose as Shaw has had and them two have come back stronger and looked to have taken on board what was said to them and where they need to improve, Shaw simply hasn't and has looked of the pace whenever he has played.

As you say, can't remember who from Southampton was being interviewed but they said they had to monitor Shaw's daily diet/fitness program as he never stuck to anything and was not disciplined so he always struggled for fitness.

Dunno, for me Shaw plus money for Rose is a no brainer

I think Martial and a few others have shown you can win Mourinho around but you have to be the one to step in line with the way he wants things even Hazard had to do it at Chelsea.

Shaw just isn't fit enough I think it's that simple, the reason for that lack of fitness if you believe the rumours is he has a poor lifestyle off the pitch and doesn't put the extra effort in after training and at the first sign of pain he stops. Mourinho wants his players to play through the pain barrier and Shaw doesn't appear to want to do that and it feels like Jose has given up.

I don't really see what more Mourinho can do here he can't play Shaw if he isn't fit, let's see if he gets a start next week against Benfica at home. If he doesn't start that game then the rumours that it's game over are probably true.

Shaw has clearly got someone in his camp who's quick to go to the papers if Jose knows he's doing that and if Shaw is ok with it then he's right to get him out, if he's serious about being a Utd player keep your mouth shut, keep your head down and work your backside off in training. You are the only left back at the club if you can't get in the team you need to take a serious look at yourself.

The only team who could afford him and need a left back are City with Mindy out for the season.

There were some rumours they might go for Bertrand from Southampton which would give them the money to buy back Shaw bit like Zaha that return to familiar surroundings might be good for him.

There’s obviously the Spurs link as a replacement for Rose if he wants to move but I don’t see that being a deal that can be done in January.

It’s clear his days are numbered at Utd it hasn’t worked out and everyone is probably to blame somewhere along the line just hope we can bring in a quality left back.

Would be happy if we got 20m for him, not sure where he would go but not really bothered to be honest, he can be someone elses problem for 20m quid

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Shaw will probably be fuming after the comments, I don’t think he was that bad to be fair. It’s hard to come in now and then for some players, I think with a regular starting berth he would improve but that’s never happened.

I don’t think your manager should ever speak like Jose does about players in public, it should be done in private. The relationship looks beyond redemption now.

I think the manager has to be able to criticise if he feels he needs to but his comments on Shaw at time are full on savage. He either is trying to force him out or he knows these comments get the reaction he wants from Shaw.

I mean imagine being told by Mourinho you aren’t attacking enough as a full back, the lad must be so confused.

I wonder who his mates are in the club as he never seems to be hanging out with his team mates. I know when he joined he became friends with Januzaj & Memphis but they’ve gone.

Luke Shaw latest: Man Utd players 'angry'; three clubs linked - Football365

Does feel like it's gone past the point of no return now with Shaw vs Mourinho and given 1 has just got a new contract it's obvious who needs to go.

Mourinho can't keep treating people like this because it will lose him the dressing room.

Take football out of it if you saw your boss at work treating a colleague like that even if you didn't particularly like them and had a good relationship with your manager how would it make you feel?

If someone at work wasn't doing their job, and I was, I would expect them to be called out on it. Especially if they were earning more money. It's just as bad for morale at work if you're carrying people.

But you wouldn't expect your manager to call that person out in front of everyone you'd expect that person to be called into an office for a chat about their performance.

I know real world vs football comparisons don't really work because my boss doesn't do a weekly press conference but singling out Shaw for special criticism AGAIN can't be right.

Unless he's going to have a huge clear out this summer I can see this creating problems for Mourinho because the players will have their guards up with him.

I am expecting a huge clear out, including some surprises, I already discussed at dinner last night the renaming of my fish, Pogba.

I just don't understand Jose and the way he does things. To me, from the outside, it's like he hasn't got the balls to say I don't want you anymore, it's like he is forcing his hand to make Shaw say he wants to go.

Shaw is done now.

We don't know what goes on behind the scenes but at times it seems more like a social club than a football club.

There are some players in there that need to tow the line or just go. His teams are never normally as bad as this, he must be having some real problems with the quality/intelligence/willingness of the players to resort to this style and team selections.

So are we suddenly changing our minds to saying it's the players fault now and not Jose's negative tactics? I didn't get to see the Brighton game but I've heard from more than one person that Shaw looked nervous to go forward and also Young made no difference whatsoever and put a similar shift in as Shaw but he got no stick for it. I personally think Shaw's confidence is shot to s**t. He needs a Wenger type manager, an 'arm around the shoulder' manager rather than a 'show you up in public and see if you get a reaction' manager.

I think Jose wanted Shaw out last summer but the club didn't want to let him go wouldn't rule out Martial going as those two don't seem to be on the same wave length either Sanchez coming in and being used from the left just further reinforces my feeling that Mourinho is happy to cash in on Martial.

Mourinho got his new contract so he's the man with the power now and you can see he's starting to flex his muscles a bit more than he was before so Pogba, Martial & Shaw have all faced the Mourinho wrath a bit recently.

In terms of the club it would seem that the message is clear that Mourinho is the man in charge so either you fall in line or you will be shown the door there are no exceptions.

Mourinho had every right to take off Shaw if he wasn't happy but he didn't need to go in like he did

I find it baffling, I really do, feel so sorry for Shaw he can't see to do anything right, few months ago he was being praised now he is back to this, feels like he is being bullied and if your in that dressing room, your losing faith seeing a team mate destroyed like he is doing, best thing for Shaw is to get out as soon as possible, if I was him I would be absolutely furious, Mourinho for me is losing the dressing room, losing the fans and he seems hell bent on digging his own grave, I can't imagine there is to much harmony in the dressing room at the minute, the players look like they are going through the motions.

All seems very similar to his last 6 months at Chelsea, blaming every man and his dog for everything, trying to keep his reputation in tact, if you want to go to PSG then go, trust me you will not be missed!

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back