Status
Not open for further replies.
Full article: Antonio Valencia ruled out of Manchester United tour by ankle injury | Football | guardian.co.uk

"Antonio has gone straight back to Manchester," said Ferguson after the 4-1 win over New England Revolution in Boston. "He got an injury playing in the first game for Ecuador so he is back in Manchester. "It is nothing serious but he wasn't going to be taking part in the rest of Copa América, so there is no point in him coming out here if he is injured. We have the facilities back at Carrington. That is the best place for him."

Hopefully not too serious, although at least we have more cover this season on the wings.

Can't judge him too much, made a good run with the ball a couple minutes in, that's it really.

A few good moments just like a lot of players but overall wasn't up to scratch in my opinion. Not making too much of it though as that's his first game of the season and we got a draw.

Played really well at right back put in some good tackles.

I'd like to see more of this Valencia/Nani combo down the right.

Yeah Valencia and Nani looked a very good combination. Imagine having those two on one flank and Evra and Young on the other. That would be something else.

The thing that makes the 2 wings so dangerous now is that both Young and Nani can cut inside or go to the byline while also having 2 full backs (Evra and whoever) who like to overlap. Smalling, Jones, Valencia, Rafael, Fabio... good depth at RB.

Wonder if we'll make Tony V a full back? in attack can't get many better than him, but his defending is the downside.

Excellent once again got stuck in, got forward, his and Carrick's intelligence positionally made for a more comfortable evening.

Some cracking interceptions, very good option at RB if we need him, apparently Smalling is out for 2 weeks so we may need him.

Wonder if we'll make Tony V a full back? in attack can't get many better than him, but his defending is the downside.
He's actually quite a good defender in my opinion. He's built like a tank and he has great energy.

not a right back at all his refusal to use his left takes the piss

For all his energy and strength he has no defensive awareness and can't really tackle either. If we do play him vs Liverpool it could go bad for us! Valencia is an attacker, and he might make a good wing back but not a full back!

He has been very poor defensively in the last couple of games. He has the look of a guy that doesn't want to be playing there.

In defence of Valencia, we're obviously talking about a guy who just isn't a defender.

^ i agree, doesn't help his confidence that he has to play at Rb to get into the team. and then goes on to play badly too. i know Fabio's been out of form but is Valencia really a better option at RB than him?

Not at the races tonight. Playing out of position and an absence of week-in-week-out football are two clear factors.

Lack of match fitness perhaps even a fear in him after his injury last season. Crossing doesn't seem the same and he doesn't seem to have the burst of pace. Hopefully it's just match fitness and that he's had no pre-season.

I think he's also short on confidence, cant understand why else would he be so hesitant to run at defenders. When he returned from injury last season, he was excellent and seemed to have no problems running at the full back and crossing.

Thought he'd forgotten how to shoot, a lot of our players are afraid to shoot from outside the box I feel, even though they have the ability to do so. Valencia used to do it quite a bit with Wigan and he even in the first half of his first season with us, the 2nd half of the season he seemed to stop and until tonight it's been in a dusty cupboard. Overall, thought he was predictable and didn't seem to have the same ability he used to at getting past players and whipping balls in from the byline, hopefully the goal will provide confidence but it's hard not to point at the injury right now as the problem with him.

2wn5i7c.jpg

iudsLVqwDkbcZ.gif

Fergie - Valencia not fully fit | Manchester United News, Fixtures, Results, Transfers | Sky Sports

Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson believes Antonio Valencia is still improving despite his fantastic goal against Aldershot.

The 26-year-old made a great impact after his return from a broken ankle in the latter stages of last season but Ferguson believes he should take more care this time round to prevent further injury.

The Ecuadorian was sidelined for a large period of the 2010/2011 campaign due to the sickening injury he suffered against Rangers.

"I had a chat with Antonio yesterday," Ferguson revealed to MUTV after the 3-0 win in the Carling Cup.

"He, himself, says he needs games. He was a long time out and has been back but probably needs another few games. Tonight was another one."

Valencia showed no signs of being unfit when scoring United's third goal at the EBB Stadium but after being used at right-back recently, the winger will be wanting to prove his fitness in a hope to return to his preferred position.

Nice finish but he's so bloody predictable the best defenders would have him nullified.

He was a ghost for the last 20. Doesn't have the edge against LB's like he used to. He's not the same player (at the moment) as the player who used to dominate Ashley Cole. Considering his impressive return after long term injury last season, his return from short term injury this season has been dire. Very odd. Something missing in him.

Decent final few minutes, had a trim by the looks of things too.

Overheard someone say that Valencia has been found out. Showing him the inside nullifies Valencia's input because of his left foot.

Does this forum think Valencia has been found out?

Valencia has always been far too predictable the best defenders will nullify him no problem. Never gets the ball in quick enough either the opposition defence has sorted themselves out by the time he has decided what to do.

I was shouting at my tv, "go on the outside". He finally went on the outside and looked marginally better.

The last 10 minutes, he looked a much better player than the one who had played the previous 110 minutes. There was more urgency and he was playing wider. Think he misses Scholes' quick passes to him that allowed him more space... With a busy xmas period coming he will definitely get games.

I actually thought that Valencia was OK last night. At least he looked for the ball and tried making things happen unlike Park and Diouf

Status
Not open for further replies.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back