Loan Watch 2021/22: James Garner at Nottingham Forest

Sideshow Bob

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Chris Hughton has been sacked after Forest made an awful start to the season get the impression Garner has found it harder second time around as well.

I really hope he doesn't get stuck on the bench now he had the exact same thing happen to him at Watford the manager that hired him was gone within a month.

I hope, if that's the case, we put a clause in to recall him, and send him elsewhere

He was on the bench yesterday and came on but started the game before.

Been trying to find out how he’s done so far but I don’t think the impact has been as big as it was last season.

More sub than starter these days at Forrest but tends to come on when he is on the bench as Forrest slowly start climbing out of the relegation zone.

Certainly not shining as brightly as he did in his first season.

Seems to have won his place back started most of the recent games which is good news playing as a centre mid alongside Jack Colback who’s a decent pro to learn off played a few seasons in the prem for Newcastle and Sunderland.

Forest now up to mid table and will be hoping to push for the playoffs.

Seems to have won his place back started most of the recent games which is good news playing as a centre mid alongside Jack Colback who’s a decent pro to learn off played a few seasons in the prem for Newcastle and Sunderland.

Forest now up to mid table and will be hoping to push for the playoffs.
Could we and should we recall him from loan? Even if we sign a CM we will need cover.

Could we and should we recall him from loan? Even if we sign a CM we will need cover.

I think we can recall him clubs tend to insist on these when it’s young players as it’s important they play him but in my opinion we shouldn’t.

He is not ready to step up better that he continues playing at this level as long as he’s happy at Forest this is good experience for him. Maybe look for a loan to a PL club next season.

Utd have McTominay, Fred, Matic, Pogba, VDB who can all play CM none of these will leave in January so Utd have enough numbers. I also don’t think we have the natural leader in there to really carry a young player through what will be a tough run in.

I think we can recall him clubs tend to insist on these when it’s young players as it’s important they play him but in my opinion we shouldn’t.

He is not ready to step up better that he continues playing at this level as long as he’s happy at Forest this is good experience for him. Maybe look for a loan to a PL club next season.

Utd have McTominay, Fred, Matic, Pogba, VDB who can all play CM none of these will leave in January so Utd have enough numbers. I also don’t think we have the natural leader in there to really carry a young player through what will be a tough run in.
Garner sits more than Fred and McT like to do, and Matic doesn't have the pace anymore. I'd bring him back.

I think United need to bring him back. Give him games in the league because they don't have much else to play for this year.

It’s a tough one, Garner is clearly talented and would love for him to come back here, however sometimes putting a youngster in a team like this could be counter productive. Think he’s best staying where he is for now with a view of breaking into the squad next year.

Garner sits more than Fred and McT like to do, and Matic doesn't have the pace anymore. I'd bring him back.

We can't add more players to this squad unless some of the existing players are going to leave in January then he should stay where he is. The squad needs to be smaller in February not bigger.

I know we all like to look at youth players and see the best but considering this lad isn't standing out in the championship as a cut above the rest I'd be amazed if he bringing him back into a midfield that is lacking a top class partner for him would be good for him.

If we had a prime Ince, Keane, Scholes, Carrick to sit him alongside and almost carry him through I could see an argument but we just don't.

I hate to say it but this season is a write off he needs to stay at Forest hopefully experience a play off push where there's big pressure on every game and every point matters it'll be a much better experience than coasting to the end of the season at Utd.

We can't add more players to this squad unless some of the existing players are going to leave in January then he should stay where he is. The squad needs to be smaller in February not bigger.

I know we all like to look at youth players and see the best but considering this lad isn't standing out in the championship as a cut above the rest I'd be amazed if he bringing him back into a midfield that is lacking a top class partner for him would be good for him.

If we had a prime Ince, Keane, Scholes, Carrick to sit him alongside and almost carry him through I could see an argument but we just don't.

I hate to say it but this season is a write off he needs to stay at Forest hopefully experience a play off push where there's big pressure on every game and every point matters it'll be a much better experience than coasting to the end of the season at Utd.
5 or 6 players should be out the door this window. There's no point to many of them being around the squad because they will never play. A younger player like Garner would relish the few chances he would get and might make the most of them. Garner was standing out in the Championship last season, lost his place this one but regained it. I think he's special.

5 or 6 players should be out the door this window. There's no point to many of them being around the squad because they will never play. A younger player like Garner would relish the few chances he would get and might make the most of them. Garner was standing out in the Championship last season, lost his place this one but regained it. I think he's special.

They should but they won't Utd will do well to get anyone out of the door in January.

Martial seems determined to leave but his agent needs to find a club willing to pay his wages and a loan fee, same apparently applies to VDB, Lingard should be sold but a buyer will be tricky as he's probably just going to run his deal down and go on a free. So I can see these two going on loan and not a lot else.

There's 4 first team players out of contract this summer Cavani, Lingard, Pogba and Mata it's hard to see any of them staying on new deals so they will all go in the summer which will create space.

I certainly think there's talent but the gap between where he's been playing and where we will need him to play is massive but assuming we can clear the decks a bit in the summer I'd have no problem with him being back around the first team in the first half of next season. See how he gets on and if he can make the break through.

I mean in terms of numbers yeah sure... But ignore the numbers United have no quality in midfield. None.

The most complete midfielder at the club, but don't see how and when he'll get a chance to prove it, McTom and Fred will still be here, and we'll almost certainly bring in two maybe three midfielders in the Summer, so unless we have an injury crisis in that area he ain't gonna get a look in bar a few Cup cameos.

It might be best for him to transfer(with a buy-back option)to one of the boing boing clubs(like Norwich or West Brom), and if he does well I can see him at a Everton/Spurs level club in a few years as a squad player initially, but with more chance to become a regular.

Think you've got to keep him in the squad for start of next season and give him a chance in the league cup and if we're in it the Europa or Europa Conference League.

He signed a new deal before going on loan so even a season on loan in the PL next season would be a step up similar to what Chelsea have done with Connor Gallagher.

The most complete midfielder at the club, but don't see how and when he'll get a chance to prove it, McTom and Fred will still be here, and we'll almost certainly bring in two maybe three midfielders in the Summer, so unless we have an injury crisis in that area he ain't gonna get a look in bar a few Cup cameos.

It might be best for him to transfer(with a buy-back option)to one of the boing boing clubs(like Norwich or West Brom), and if he does well I can see him at a Everton/Spurs level club in a few years as a squad player initially, but with more chance to become a regular.
Linked with Everton today, they can sod off

Starts vs Arsenal in the FA Cup

game is on ITV

Yeah he did ok was a shame we didn’t see him tested against first team players in midfield.

Forest deserved the win Arsenal were really poor.

Played well today and will develop a lot under Steve Cooper. Djed Spence caught the eye again as did Brennan Johnson

Is Garner OK to play in the FA Cup? I didn't watch much of the game yesterday and I'm not sure if the rules allow it or not. If he did though then he's going to get another game which is great for him.

Is Garner OK to play in the FA Cup? I didn't watch much of the game yesterday and I'm not sure if the rules allow it or not. If he did though then he's going to get another game which is great for him.

He's on a season long loan at Forest why wouldn't we let him play in the FA Cup?

I didn't see much of the game but an impressive win knocking out another premier league side.

The kid has a real chance next season if he can impress the new manager in pre season.

He's on a season long loan at Forest why wouldn't we let him play in the FA Cup?

I didn't see much of the game but an impressive win knocking out another premier league side.

The kid has a real chance next season if he can impress the new manager in pre season.
I didn't know the rules that's all. I'm not saying we wouldn't let him play I'm just asking if the rules allow him to.

I didn't know the rules that's all. I'm not saying we wouldn't let him play I'm just asking if the rules allow him to.

Yeah clubs can put clauses in that meant you couldn't play them in cups but it doesn't really matter anymore as those clauses used to apply when you could taken players on short term loans. Now loans have to run from transfer window to transfer window so if he's signed on loan in January no harm in letting them play in the cup.

You just can't play for 2 different sides in cups so if you played in a first or second round match then change clubs before the third round you are cup tied.

Scored at the weekend his 3rd of the season.

Wasn't smooth sailing at the start but seems to have got himself going again and is starting every week for them.

Another start in a 4-0 win played a more advanced role in behind the 2 strikers.

It's a big jump up to the prem but it's good to see him doing well after a tough start clearly won the trust of the current manager which is a good sign for me.

Another promising performance against Liverpool. His passing is top quality, perhaps needs to add a bit of physicality to his game but can see a future for him here.

Another promising performance against Liverpool. His passing is top quality, perhaps needs to add a bit of physicality to his game but can see a future for him here.
I think on the basis that United are set to lose so many midfielders (and they need to add) means he'll get a chance next year. I think he could end up being a fringe player next year for United.

My guess is he'll be kept until January as a squad player probably used in league cup games and whatever european competition we end up in, if he does well in those games he will be given chances in the first team for league matches.

If we aren't in Europe next season they'll look to get him out on loan to another PL club I think.

Given it seems likely that Pogba, Lingard, Mata and possibly Matic/VDB all leave this summer there's a huge gap in the midfield positions which we can only assume will be filled with some new arrivals.

Championship football will have been a great experience for him and he's gone up against couple of prem teams in the cup (not necessarily their first team players) and held his own which is promising.

Of the loanees he's certainly the stand out player this season most of the others have really struggled.

Bruno was asked who he's looking forward to playing with from the academy most and gave a shout out to Garner.

Has been dynamite this season for Forest! Definitely should be given a chance next season and think his style of play is very much in the vision of ETH.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back