Loan Watch 2021/22: Ethan Laird at Swansea City

Sideshow Bob

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I do like him. If ever United decided to go 3 at the back in the future they have the perfect wing backs in Laird and fernandez.

I'd like to see him push AWB next year to start. He looks a really good attacking full back which United need.

Just can't see us ever going to a back 3 with all the attacking players we have at our disposal and the fact we've got 2 really good centre backs.

Laird will need to show he can adapt his game to be a more orthodox right back.

The important thing for him this season is avoid the injuries that have dogged his career so far and just get the experience of playing in front of big crowds in a league where every point matters. Him already being in the side is a real positive too.

To be fair to him he has played his junior football as an orthodox attacking right back. I guess it is not his fault the team he is at play with wing backs, although he is suited to it. If he has the quality to play at the top level I would not see a problem with him playing as an orthodox fullback. Same applies to Alvaro Fernandez although I think he has a bit of work to do defensively.

Expected to be recalled from Swansea and will go to Bournemouth for the second half of the season

Expected to be recalled from Swansea and will go to Bournemouth for the second half of the season
Whys that? Is he not playing much at Swansea now? I thought he was playing a lot and impressing?

Whys that? Is he not playing much at Swansea now? I thought he was playing a lot and impressing?

Higher standard with Bournemouth fighting at the top of the table plus if they’re promoted they would likely send him back there next season on loan again.

Swansea are not happy about him being recalled and sent to another championship side especially due to the relationship he has with the manager who had him last season at MK Dons but these are the gambles with loan deals.

I guess the ideal scenario is that Bournemouth get promoted and then he stays on for next season in the EPL.

Just hope he’s straight in the team.

he was playing every week at Swansea and from what I hear playing well.

according to one report Bournemouth are covering full wages and paying a loan fee whereas Swansea were not covering full wage.

Strange move from the club, it's been hard enough for years to get suitable clubs for the lads to go to, but clubs are gonna be less likely to take United players on in the future if we are gonna start recalling them when the do well over a period of time, fine if they are brought back to go into the United squad, but to be loaned straight back out again to a team higher in the same division is a classless, though understandable.

Saw another person suggest they also want to see him play in a back 4 rather than as a wing back.

I'd rather believe that than United are getting a higher loan fee, and Bournemouth are paying all his wages.

I'd rather believe that than United are getting a higher loan fee, and Bournemouth are paying all his wages.

The Swansea manager pretty much confirmed Utd wanted to see him play in a back 4 and also see how he handled the pressure of a promotion challenge.

it sucks for Swansea but I think it makes sense as long as he plays as this kid has real talent it looked like injuries might take his career away from him but fingers crossed he’s past that now.

there’s a wide open spot for him to take in this squad if he can keep progressing then show it on the pitch.

The Swansea manager pretty much confirmed Utd wanted to see him play in a back 4 and also see how he handled the pressure of a promotion challenge.

it sucks for Swansea but I think it makes sense as long as he plays as this kid has real talent it looked like injuries might take his career away from him but fingers crossed he’s past that now.

there’s a wide open spot for him to take in this squad if he can keep progressing then show it on the pitch.

If true at least United had the decency to explain to Swansea why they were recalling him. Been following his progress but obviously not close enough because I didn't notice that Swansea played 3-5-2 or 3-4-3, I just thought he was doing his normal kamikaze runs from RB.

And if it hadn't been for his numerous injuries I don't think he'd have needed to go out on loan.

It won't do him any harm staying at Bournemouth for next season if they get promoted, but if he impresses for United in pre-season the new Manager might want him to stay at United because he can cover all three positions in defence. Still got a funny feeling he'll end up as a central defender.

Yeah he‘s been playing at wing back both for MK Dons and Swansea (same manager) so makes sense to try and get him some right back experience.

Hopefully shows that Utd are looking out for these kids on loan now trying to make sure they get the right sort of experience.

Yeah he‘s been playing at wing back both for MK Dons and Swansea (same manager) so makes sense to try and get him some right back experience.

Hopefully shows that Utd are looking out for these kids on loan now trying to make sure they get the right sort of experience.

He'll need ear muffs the first few games to block out the "Oy Laird, get your backside back here, now" every few minutes from the RCB

There's been a lot more positive loans this last few years where previously it was very much hit, miss, miss and miss, I think the club are taking more time to explain why club A will be more beneficial than club L or Y, and not just let the lads choose where they want to go because it's more local or he's got mates there.

He'll need ear muffs the first few games to block out the "Oy Laird, get your backside back here, now" every few minutes from the RCB

There's been a lot more positive loans this last few years where previously it was very much hit, miss, miss and miss, I think the club are taking more time to explain why club A will be more beneficial than club L or Y, and not just let the lads choose where they want to go because it's more local or he's got mates there.

think it was something Nicky Butt introduced before leaving looking at a development pathways rather than just scatter gun.

Dean Henderson worked his way up through the divisions with different sides it feels like a good way to go.

think it was something Nicky Butt introduced before leaving looking at a development pathways rather than just scatter gun.

Dean Henderson worked his way up through the divisions with different sides it feels like a good way to go.

Don't know if it was Nicky Butt or Nick Cox but it seems to be working.

Made his debut for Bournemouth at the weekend after injury came off the bench to help to get a late 2-1 win against Stoke.

Lets hope he can push his way into the starting XI quickly.

Injury ruled him out at the weekend been a frustrating time so far at Bournemouth for him hasn't really been able to get going.

The impression you get from Parker is if he was fit he'd be playing.

Think he needed to make the move get some experience playing in a back 4 rather than as a wing back but sadly it hasn't worked for him so far.

He's played in a back four in all his time at United and for England, so it's not as though he's learning a new position.

I know but he's a very attacking player and so far in senior football he'd played in two teams where he was used as an attacking wing back so getting that experience playing full back in mens football would be really useful.

Not just about testing your ability but testing him physically as the top full backs are probably the fittest players on the pitch in modern football takes an absolute engine to do what they do for 90 minutes especially the ones who look to get into the final third a lot which Laird does.

Also, mental pressure Bournemouth are under big pressure to get promotion so would have been good to see how he handled a situation where every game is a must win.

I know all that but I said it was a strange move at the time and I stand by that. Now if he'd gone up a League, or tried 6 months abroad ....

Could just be they wanted to take him out of his comfort zone as he'd done 12 months with the same manager at 2 different clubs.

More worrying were the rumours that Bournemouth offered to pay more of the wages so Utd pushed him to make the move.

Injuries happen just a shame for Laird as he'd had a really positive 12 months out on loan and given our issues at right back he's one who you think might be coming back and getting some chances especially if we're in Europa League next season.

Could just be they wanted to take him out of his comfort zone as he'd done 12 months with the same manager at 2 different clubs.

More worrying were the rumours that Bournemouth offered to pay more of the wages so Utd pushed him to make the move.

Injuries happen just a shame for Laird as he'd had a really positive 12 months out on loan and given our issues at right back he's one who you think might be coming back and getting some chances especially if we're in Europa League next season.

Ah rumours ....

Anyhow, think most of the Bournemouth players would be on significantly higher wages than Laird so why shouldn't they pay a higher % of his wages, be slightly different if we'd sent him to Halifax or Hartlepool.

Ah rumours ....

Anyhow, think most of the Bournemouth players would be on significantly higher wages than Laird so why shouldn't they pay a higher % of his wages, be slightly different if we'd sent him to Halifax or Hartlepool.

He's a kid it should be football decisions first if they felt Bournemouth was the better thing for his development that should be the thing that makes the decision not trying to get more of his wages covered.

I do think it was a football decision just hasn't work out because of injury.

He's a kid it should be football decisions first if they felt Bournemouth was the better thing for his development that should be the thing that makes the decision not trying to get more of his wages covered.

I do think it was a football decision just hasn't work out because of injury.

Not buying that, it must've been a Bournemouth's suggestion, and there's nowt wrong with United asking more in wages to disrupt a very successful loan to do them a favour.

Starts today for Bournemouth.

game is live on sky sports for those interested.

He's got to be in contention to be the RB next year surely? United can't sign players at every position of need they have to use some of their younger players.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back