Loan Watch 2017/18: Fosu-Mensah at Crystal Palace

SuperRash

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Quite surprised about this but it will be good for him. I guess Mourinho feels like he has enough numbers, plus the emergence of Tuanzebe could have helped him decide this was okay to sanction. Hope he is a regular and isn't there just to play here or there like many loan deals end up in.

I think it's exactly what he needs to be honest if he can get 30 games at Palace next season it would be brilliant for his development as realistically next season I don't see him getting more than 10 at Utd. In a side that struggled last season he found it hard to get any real playing time under his belt.

If guys like Smalling & Jones are going to leave it's going to be hard to get him game time as Mourinho will want to attack all 4 competitions next season.

I think he's hit a bit of a cross roads of being to good for U23 football but not quite good enough for the first team.

If he does well on loan then it might help push the likes of Jones/Smalling out next summer.

Good manager to work with in De Boer who's used to working with young players but hopefully the fact TFM came up through Ajax will mean he's also familiar with the playing style.

An important thing for him in the next 2 seasons is probably be specifying in a position is a he a right back, centre back or centre mid he needs to avoid the John O'Shea/Phil Neville thing of becoming a jack of all trades master of none player. If I was him and looking at our squad I'd probably look at focusing on being a right back but to be a very top right back he'll need to improve in the final 3rd.

Needs games now, talent but some rough edges to smooth out. Was involved in the first team environment all season but didn't play enough, he should have featured more last season, didn't, and we/he couldn't afford another season of him not playing. With De Boer there, it hopefully bodes well for him.

Will be interesting to see where De Boer plays him.

Will be interesting to see where De Boer plays him.
Yeah that's my big wonderment. I've always thought he has all the attributes to be a central midfielder, I wonder if De Boer feels the same. I just hope he plays regularly and the loan is worth while. I can't say many loans have worked out particularly well over the years for us with the odd exception, so will be watching Palace with eagle eyes this year.

Evans and Wellbeck at Sunderland are the only ones that come to mind, although Perriera (Non GK) at Granada seemed to go well. Almost nowt inbetween!

I think a well planned loan can work really well to kick players on Cleverley benefitted from 2 great loan spells at Leicester/Watford, Lingard has kind of gone around the house a bit while he was still developing physically but there's probably a list as long as your arm of players who it didn't help Januzaj, Macheda are obvious ones from recent time it sent them spiralling but that is probably down to their own attitude problems.

It's all about how much be plays even if it's in a few positions it's not the end of the world but it is working for a manager who's used to working with young players.

The thing is now the loan move can often be the selling club lining someone up for a sale if TFM has a good season at Palace could Utd get £20m like Chelsea did with Ake?

The lads still got time on his side but you feel it's a huge year for him to prove to the manager that he is good enough to be part of his squad next season as he was part of the squad last season and he barely got a kick and the players ahead of him at RB, CB or CM weren't all world class.

Reward for a good start to the season. Palace's form a worry though and already talk of De Boer getting sacked, if that happened i'd worry he won't play.

Judging by his performances so far I think he'd get in under any manager, he's looked good according to their fans.

Palace are in trouble though talk that Townsend might leave before the window closes.

De Boer style will take time and I personally don't think it'll work at a team like Palace, he may need to change his tactics to buy himself time to implement his ideas.

No game time yesterday, fear this will continue, hope to see him back in January or out on loan elsewhere.

If he can’t get in a poor Palace side does that make you wonder if he’s really up to it, now they’ve gone to a back 4 I can see why he’s not playing CB but surely he’s good enough to play RB.

They let 2 in yesterday so hopefully that’s enough to get him a look in their next game.

Always risky when loaning players out if the manager who took him gets sacked they often find themselves sidelined.

The early reports from Palace fans seemed positive.

Hodgson more of a manager that looks to experience i'd imagine, he won't risk untested players in a relegation fight.

Probably right plus if he’s planning for next season new managers will always use the players under contract first before looking at the guys on loan.

Not sure he’s started for Hodgson yet but he’s come on in games hopefully he can force his way into the side again.

Started at RB in a back 4 yesterday in the 2-2 draw.

Had a quick look on social media and the fans weren’t impressed by his performance.

Also, reports that it’s been agreed that he comes back in January as Palace don’t really want him, it’s a big 6 months for him as he needs to break into someone’s first team soon and start playing regular football.

I'd love him back but probably for the best that he stays there and plays. He and Pereira will hopefully finally get their promotions next season, both improving and proving their worth at high levels.

2 good games in a row at RB for him that spot is coming up for grabs next season so hope he stays and really shows what he can do there in a side that often plays a similar style to Utd by sitting deep and absorbing pressure. Valencia is getting old so even if they rotated the role next season there’s a chance for plenty of matches if he decides to focus on being a RB.

Going to be much harder for him to break through as a CB or CM at Utd.

I've heard that Valencia can't always train due to an ongoing knee problem that regularly needs ice. Do wonder how much longer Valencia can continue to play so much. He and Young both 33 in the summer.

Valencia isn’t getting forward as much as he did in his first 2 seasons as a RB and he seems very reluctant to give up the internationals so he does need to be rotated through a season now he’s in his 30s, the modern full back is a gruelling role and you need to be super fit to play it as there’s lot of lung busting recovery runs to get back in position when the ball is lost.

Think TFM has all the necessary attributes to be a RB just needs to learn the positional side of it and Hodgson will be a great teacher of that sort of stuff and he will need to work on his delivery in the final 1/3 a modern full back is basically an old fashioned winger.

Was a real backs to the walls performance and he was a solid part of that.

Think they did enough to get the 0-0.

Asked for the toughest opponent he has faced, Sane told Sky Sports: "It was before when I was playing against Kyle Walker.

"And Crystal Palace's right-back Timothy Fosu-Mensah, I have played against him twice this season, and even last season, he had me really well under control and I told him how happy I was to play against him."

The games he’s been unavailable due to the loan rules have really stitched him up this season.

After a run of good games he’s lost his place at RB again to a young kid who belongs to Palace who came in for the Utd game he wasn’t allowed to play in and played well so I doubt he will get his place back now unless there are injuries.

He’s made 23 appearances so far which is more than he would have at Utd but I don’t think he’s got anywhere near as much football as we hoped he would as quite a few of these appearances have been as sub.

To be fair that kid at Palace Wan-Bissaka looks a good prospect. Looks a more natural full back then TFM, who for me is still a centre midfielder at heart. Would much prefer to see TFM and Mctominay fighting it out with Matic, Pogba and our new centre mid for minutes next season.

To be fair that kid at Palace Wan-Bissaka looks a good prospect. Looks a more natural full back then TFM, who for me is still a centre midfielder at heart. Would much prefer to see TFM and Mctominay fighting it out with Matic, Pogba and our new centre mid for minutes next season.

Not gonna lie if that’s our midfield options next season we will be struggling for top 4 again.

I like TFM as a right back he’s had some really good performances there only seen him play one senior game in centre mid think it was a Europa league game last season and he looked ok but I think it’s pretty clear he’s developing into a RB. Think he should be competing with a new RB next season for that starting spot. If he wants to be a centre mid then he really should’ve gone on loan to a club to play as a centre mid but he’s gone to palace as a defender.

That kid looks good can’t argue with Hodgson putting his own kid in ahead of one that’s on loan just a shame for Tim that he lost his place because of the rules regarding loan players not allowed to play against parent clubs.

A 3 man midfield with a choice of Matic, Pogba, Jorginho/Seri, Herrera, TFM or Mctominay doesn't sound that bad to me.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back