1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Loan Watch 2017/18: Fosu-Mensah at Crystal Palace

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by SuperRash, Aug 7, 2017.

1. SuperRash

SuperRash Moderator

Quite surprised about this but it will be good for him. I guess Mourinho feels like he has enough numbers, plus the emergence of Tuanzebe could have helped him decide this was okay to sanction. Hope he is a regular and isn't there just to play here or there like many loan deals end up in.

2. jsp

jsp Well-Known Member

I think it's exactly what he needs to be honest if he can get 30 games at Palace next season it would be brilliant for his development as realistically next season I don't see him getting more than 10 at Utd. In a side that struggled last season he found it hard to get any real playing time under his belt.

If guys like Smalling & Jones are going to leave it's going to be hard to get him game time as Mourinho will want to attack all 4 competitions next season.

I think he's hit a bit of a cross roads of being to good for U23 football but not quite good enough for the first team.

If he does well on loan then it might help push the likes of Jones/Smalling out next summer.

Good manager to work with in De Boer who's used to working with young players but hopefully the fact TFM came up through Ajax will mean he's also familiar with the playing style.

An important thing for him in the next 2 seasons is probably be specifying in a position is a he a right back, centre back or centre mid he needs to avoid the John O'Shea/Phil Neville thing of becoming a jack of all trades master of none player. If I was him and looking at our squad I'd probably look at focusing on being a right back but to be a very top right back he'll need to improve in the final 3rd.

3. JSNFRMN_MUFC

JSNFRMN_MUFC Moderator

Needs games now, talent but some rough edges to smooth out. Was involved in the first team environment all season but didn't play enough, he should have featured more last season, didn't, and we/he couldn't afford another season of him not playing. With De Boer there, it hopefully bodes well for him.

Will be interesting to see where De Boer plays him.

4. SuperRash

SuperRash Moderator

Yeah that's my big wonderment. I've always thought he has all the attributes to be a central midfielder, I wonder if De Boer feels the same. I just hope he plays regularly and the loan is worth while. I can't say many loans have worked out particularly well over the years for us with the odd exception, so will be watching Palace with eagle eyes this year.

5. the nuts named eric

the nuts named eric Well-Known Member

Evans and Wellbeck at Sunderland are the only ones that come to mind, although Perriera (Non GK) at Granada seemed to go well. Almost nowt inbetween!

6. jsp

jsp Well-Known Member

I think a well planned loan can work really well to kick players on Cleverley benefitted from 2 great loan spells at Leicester/Watford, Lingard has kind of gone around the house a bit while he was still developing physically but there's probably a list as long as your arm of players who it didn't help Januzaj, Macheda are obvious ones from recent time it sent them spiralling but that is probably down to their own attitude problems.

It's all about how much be plays even if it's in a few positions it's not the end of the world but it is working for a manager who's used to working with young players.

The thing is now the loan move can often be the selling club lining someone up for a sale if TFM has a good season at Palace could Utd get £20m like Chelsea did with Ake?

The lads still got time on his side but you feel it's a huge year for him to prove to the manager that he is good enough to be part of his squad next season as he was part of the squad last season and he barely got a kick and the players ahead of him at RB, CB or CM weren't all world class.

7. Sideshow Bob

Sideshow Bob Avatar & New Members Forum Mod

Called up to the Netherlands senior squad following an injury to Kenny Tete.

8. JSNFRMN_MUFC

JSNFRMN_MUFC Moderator

Reward for a good start to the season. Palace's form a worry though and already talk of De Boer getting sacked, if that happened i'd worry he won't play.

9. jsp

jsp Well-Known Member

Judging by his performances so far I think he'd get in under any manager, he's looked good according to their fans.

Palace are in trouble though talk that Townsend might leave before the window closes.

De Boer style will take time and I personally don't think it'll work at a team like Palace, he may need to change his tactics to buy himself time to implement his ideas.

10. Sideshow Bob

Sideshow Bob Avatar & New Members Forum Mod