Loan Watch 2015/16: James Wilson at Brighton and Hove Albion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sideshow Bob

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Very big few months for Wilson. If it goes really well he should shoot himself well into contention for us next season, however should it not work out who knows what will happen.

For what it's worth, I think he will be a big hit. He seems to have the right attitude, he will put in the work and working with Hughton will help. Talented young players who fail out on loan usually have the wrong attitude or the wrong manager I find so he should have no worries there. Regular first team football will do him the world of good and I look forward to keeping a close eye on Brighton this season now.

Van Gaal explains decision to loan Wilson to Brighton - Official Manchester United Website

“Until now he didn't contribute so much,” van Gaal told reporters on Friday. “He played a few minutes in the Premier League and a few in the Capital One Cup and was not always in the selection of the squad of 18 players. Players of his age need to play and I can imagine that fans are saying that this is ridiculous, they have difficulties to score, but that is a short-term thought.

“We have to think what is better for a player like Wilson and at the moment he does not have too many possibilities to play on a higher level. We believe in him so he has to develop himself elsewhere. If we need him, we can call him back.”

Van Gaal was speaking two days after United’s goalless draw against PSV Eindhoven in the UEFA Champions League, which was the club’s fourth stalemate in seven matches across all competitions.

In his press conference, the boss admitted he is worried about fans being critical of performances but was quick to emphasise the reasons why he is confident of progressing in the coming matches.

“Of course, because the fans have to be happy and you are playing for the fans, you cannot deny that,” said van Gaal. “But you have to see how our opponents are playing against us and when you see how they play then you know the difficulty to disorganise that opponent - it is very difficult.

“We are still not lucky with finishing chances because we are creating chances, if we weren't creating them then maybe I am very worried, but we are creating the chances and we don't give too much away. Normally the result will be good then and that is why we are second in the league and second in our Champions League group.”

Scored his and Brighton's first goal.

Best place for him. Great goal, send him on loan again next season (to a Prem side hopefully) and bring him back under the next manager.

He's scored v Derby.

I watched the first half then switched over when Luther came on. The game was scrappy and the quality of attacking play from both teams was poor.

Van Gaal: "It was a big surprise for me, something that I did not expect. He is a fantastic manager with a record that nobody has in this football world, but it is still possible. The main thing is, first, the results and secondly the chemistry between the players, the manager and his staff. I cannot say what was happening in Chelsea, but I was very surprised."

Van Gaal: "It was a big surprise for me, something that I did not expect. He is a fantastic manager with a record that nobody has in this football world, but it is still possible. The main thing is, first, the results and secondly the chemistry between the players, the manager and his staff. I cannot say what was happening in Chelsea, but I was very surprised."

Wrong thread??

Yep!

Van Gaal: The manager finished by saying the Reds have an option to recall James Wilson from his loan at Brighton, if needed. Van Gaal: "We have sent him to Brighton because he needs match rhythm and he has to show his qualities. We have extended his contract because of his qualities and we believe in him. If we are in trouble we can recall him."

Brighton v Middlesbrough is live on Sky at 12:30. Wilson starts.

Wilson should stay at Brighton until Van Gaal goes. UTD play is too static and would not suit Wilson. In fact it does not seem to suit anyone who wants to score goals.

I don;t know why he didn't get more chances whilst at UTD, especially considering how thin on the ground we are up top. Age can't be the reason, because look at Martial (as amazing as he is). At least on loan he'll get some minutes under his belt, and some goals by the looks of it.

For me he never looked confident when given opportunities for the first team so a loan is ideal to build that confidence and to get exposed to a higher level than he was used to at under 21's.

Watched the game against Wolves and in spells he looked top class however he went missing for large patches also. Confidence still building but I feel he will get there and when he does he will be very, very good.

Scored v Huddersfield.

Scored v Reading.

Just scored a 94th minute equaliser for 10 men Brighton v Derby. Could prove to be a vital goal for Brighton.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back