Loan Watch 2015/16: Adnan Januzaj at Borussia Dortmund

Status
Not open for further replies.

se7en

Our thin squad just got a little thinner.

Dortmund's new number 9.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I don't think it's a bad thing. If he gets game time hopefully he will come back to us a better player.

Slightly disappointed by this but if it means he comes back to us having played regularly for Dortmund, i'll be happy. Said before pre-season that we probably wouldn't see best of him until Van Gaal leaves. When he was brought in to side a few games ago though, I said i'd like to see him get a run of games and be a regular for us this season, even if it meant that he wasn't playing well, i'd have liked to have seen him develop and improve in this team.

It wouldn't surprise me if he didn't come back if van Gaal is here next year.

Scored v St. Pauli

Promising start. If he has a good season he will be like a new signing for us next year.

Marc Wilmots comments recently were interesting. Spoke of the improvement De Bruyne made when he moved to Wolfsburg from Chelsea and that Januzaj could benefit in a similar way at Dortmund.

That clip sums up a lot of Januzaj's performances for the past 12 months - some good moments, some bad moments but the potential is clear as day. He lacks that bit of extra power yet to take him past players the way Ronaldo and Bale would have at a similar age but that will come. His decision making looks still to be worked on but again that will come with paying more games. Hopefully he gets more game time there, a new club, country and culture should help him develop off the field whatever happens on it.

Magdeburg 2-2 Borussia Dortmund (friendly) - 12th October 2015

Borussia Dortmund 5-1 Augsburg - 26th October 2015

Hamburg 3-1 Borussia Dortmund - 20th November 2015

Assist:

Manchester United forward Januzaj 'doesn't know' if he will return to Old Trafford

Asked if he would be heading back to Manchester at the end of the season, Januzaj replied : “I don’t know.

“I wanted to join somewhere I could play and there were a few things behind that were a problem but I’m happy here. I just need more games to play and then I’ll be fine.”

The United forward made four starts for The Reds in August, scoring the winner at Aston Villa, before he left for Germany.

Januzaj joined a club brimming with slick forwards and he has been unable to barge ahead of Marco Reus, Henrikh Mkhitaryan and former United playmaker Shinji Kagawa in the Dortmund pecking order.

The PAOK game was only his third start for Dortmund and Januzaj has become such a peripheral figure at the Westfalenstadion he is in danger of missing the cut for Belgium's Euro 2016 squad.

Januzaj's fitness levels have also generated criticism in Germany and he conceded he was not in peak condition.

“I’m trying to do my best because obviously I’ve not got a lot of games in my legs which is difficult for me mentally, because I need more games to be a better player,” he said.

“Also at the moment i don’t really have that level of fitness that allows me to do more than another player.

“Of course it’s about adapting but I need more games to be fitter and take people on. I have qualities also that I showed in the first year in United but I need games in my legs which is difficult at the minute.

“But I’m training for myself and training hard to always be fit whenever l play so I can do something.”

United have asked Dortmund to cancel Januzaj's loan, according to The Times.

Right move. He was not getting any game time there. If he was to sit in the bench he may as well do it here and give us another attacking option.

Now, what next? Loan to a prem club or keep as option? For the long term he needs game more then we need him on the bench right now. I hardly expect him to suddenly establish himself as a starter for us.

What's best for Januzaj is a loan to a Premier League side where he'd play regularly, however what's best for United at the minute is to keep him here. He would add pace and trickery to the attack which is lacking. He may simply have failed to settle at Dortmund but we have seen what he can do in a United shirt, perhaps not often enough, but for me we need him at the minute.

just read he is availbale against Sheffield. Should get some minutes and hopefully a good start back at OT could kickstart his career.

Which position would suit him best? Striker or a winger or as an inside midfielder?

Glad about this. More options the better. Thought he was doing well at start of season and thought he'd improve, was disappointed when he got loaned out.

Personally think his best position is on the left, but is more likely to be used central or right this season.

The good thing is he can play all 3 attacking midfield positions, wherever we need him the most.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back