Legends of Manchester United Thread

Awful memory I have, but I think his first match was vs Chelsea, before redevelopment, I seem to remember the track around it. I wasn't at the match although I did used to go to a lot of Chelsea matches.

So I just looked it up, I was wrong, that was his first goal

In my opinion...
...overrated and overhyped.
So many better United players in last 30 years...
Not to mention George, whose boots he couldn’t lace.

haha

idiot

Probably the most important signing Alex Ferguson ever made. If you ever saw him play you would never say that. Not many player still have a song sung 20 years after they left. And it's only a few days away from the 12 days of Cantona

I adore the man

Even Noel Gallagher admires him!

Talent wise we’ve had better but in terms of impact no one else comes close but it’s worth remembering at the time no other team in England had a player anything like him. Until Bergkamp and Zola arrived later in the 90s no team really had a player like Cantona.

26 years without a title before he arrived then in the 5 seasons that followed 4 titles in 5 years including 2 FA Cups back when a domestic double was a real thing. Europe was disappointing but that 93/94 side was always hampered by the 3 foreigner rule and post heysel the English clubs were inexperienced in the European game and how it was played.

He carried those teams to glory the season we lost the league was when he was banned when he returned the following year he led us to another one game after game banging in goal.

Set standards to the young players that followed in his footsteps the relentless practise sessions after training they all copied him.

Then there’s the other bit it’s fair to say Cantona captured Manchester at the time he was loved and adored by every Utd fan.

People will say Fergie built the empire but from 92-98 Cantona was its king.

I saw him play in Europe, against good teams and he went missing.
Great against weak Premier League opposition, though.

I didn’t say he was not good. He was. Obviously.
I’m saying he gets too much applause.
His impact with the younger players at the time was invaluable.
He was definitely in the right place at the right time, and was a great signing. He would have made a good signing for Madrid, wouldn’t complain at all. Zidane would love him there, me too.
Just think in your wonderful history, with so many wonderful players, he gets a little too much praise.
Two things...
...Peter Schmeichel was Fergie’s greatest signing
...l’m a little older than you think

The debate over greatest ever signing is a different debate all together this is a legends thread and Eric is a legend of our club. His signing put Utd top of the tree just at the moment the PL started to explode worldwide and Utd being on top helped make them the financial powerhouse they are now. It totally transformed our club.

The European failings were complex the best Cantona side was the 93/94 side it was our first venture into the European cup in over 20 years at a time when only league winners got in. Utd at the time had major issues with the 3 foreigner rule which meant we could never play our best team. You could only pick 3 from Schmiechel, Irwin, Keane, Kanchelskis, Cantona, Giggs. 3 of our best starting XI sat out in every game and McClair a useful squad player was also classed as foreign. The rule was eventually scrapped in 96 but it was to late for us. Had Fergie had his best XI in 93-94 we’d have taken some stopping that team was unreal but it was a quick flash and then it was gone a year later.

96-97 was a killer losing to Dortmund in the semi finals by that point the class of 92 had emerged but it was Cantona’s last season and he was a fading force at this point he’d lost his love for the game.

The fact is you won’t find a Utd fan who lived and supported through that period who doesn’t give him the applause he deserves.

It wasn’t my intention to belittle his time at United. I get the adoration. He was immensely influential and crucial to a stream of young players.
From that perspective l imagine he was priceless. But, in my opinion, he has a god like status l don’t think he quite deserves.
Mr C said he was probably Fergie’s greatest signing, so l countered with PS. So getting touchy about the sanctity of threads is a bit silly. Threads often mutate into different discussions which can breath fresh energy (although not my intention).
At the end of the day it is just my opinion.
What is far more important is this serious cyber attack on the club.

If you attack the king expect his loyal subjects to defend him :p

You have every right to defend him...
...l know what he means to you. I know what he means to the club.
It seems my coat fell off the peg.
All l’m saying is you’ve had greater players wearing the red shirt.
In my opinion...

In terms of quality I'd have to agree. Id say in terms of greats since I've been watching/start of the premier League era perhaps outside the top 3 inside the top 5.

Maybe those a few years older would disagree.

But the impact he had on the club and the players around him was far greater than just his quality as a player.

Well getting back to the thread title I can say this.
He was the first Manchester United legend of the Premier League era and he mentored others to help them become even bigger Manchester United legends. Those others were one club players with much longer allegiance to the club. No names required.
What has always stuck in my mind is his return from the 9 month ban. It seemed to me he single handedly won us the double. We had so many 1-0 wins in the league with him being the scorer and again was the scorer in our 1-0 win over Liverpool in the FA Cup final. What a way to come back from that and all the negative press that came with it.
This guy was a true United genius and legend. No doubt.

Yep and he also felt flawed he was frustrated like so many who watch football he couldn’t hide that emotion it could erupt in moments of sublime skill but also anger.

They robbed him of 9 months of his career in his prime and his reaction was to come back even better, even stronger and see his side through more success. Fergie knew how to stoke that fire that was his genius, he knew Eric played by his own rules but he worked him out and knew how to fire him up so when he walked out he was unstoppable.

That 95-96 season was crazy a second double in 3 season led by Cantona. I remember going across the street to a neighbours house because they had sky and watching his comeback game vs the scousers sitting in my Utd shirt with my collar turned up as a 9 year old going nuts when he scored that pen. Feels like yesterday and it always will.

They robbed him of 9 months of his career in his prime and his reaction was to come back even better, even stronger and see his side through more success. Fergie knew how to stoke that fire that was his genius, he knew Eric played by his own rules but he worked him out and knew how to fire him up so when he walked out he was unstoppable.
:) to be honest, I think the ban was just. Possibly a bit longer than it should have been. Regardless, the way he came back from the ban was nothing short of spectacular, and as you say it was brilliantly managed by Fergie. There would have been few, if any other managers who would have offered Eric support after that incident and turn such a negative into such a positive.
That 95-96 season was crazy a second double in 3 season led by Cantona. I remember going across the street to a neighbours house because they had sky and watching his comeback game vs the scousers sitting in my Utd shirt with my collar turned up as a 9 year old going nuts when he scored that pen. Feels like yesterday and it always will.
I was a South London Jockney at this time. I used to turn my collar up (any collar) to mimic Big Eric and supported United enthusiastically, usually watching the games in the pubs around the Old Kent Rd, Peckham and New Cross areas. I had a run in or two with some of the local Millwall boys, some of whom ended up being my mates for a number of years (proper London people) who are great people when you get to know them. They used to get pissed off when I told them Millwall was essentially a Scottish club having been founded by a group of factory workers and dockers originally from Dundee. Hence the blue with the white lion.
It was them Millwall boys that first called me a Jockney, I liked that, still do, it made me feel accepted by the English twats.

TO THE MODS @Sideshow Bob @SuperRash @IDFD - you see, this is what is shite about this gaff.
A thread such as this can be started but very quickly be turned to shit. Because there is no sub- thread opportunity.
Anybody can just dive in with who they consider to be a United legend, may it be Brian Robson or Luke Chadwick and it turns into a mishmash of bullshit (and thats before @Mr C sticks his oar in).
And so the Eric Cantona legend thread becomes lost. Others should be able to create sub threads to this thread for other United legends without it all blending into one thread.
Its yer feckin job to bring about such structure to the forum!!

TO THE MODS @Sideshow Bob @SuperRash @IDFD - you see, this is what is shite about this gaff.
A thread such as this can be started but very quickly be turned to shit. Because there is no sub- thread opportunity.
Anybody can just dive in with who they consider to be a United legend, may it be Brian Robson or Luke Chadwick and it turns into a mishmash of bullshit (and thats before @Mr C sticks his oar in).
And so the Eric Cantona legend thread becomes lost. Others should be able to create sub threads to this thread for other United legends without it all blending into one thread.
You spelt BRYAN Robson wrong btw. Wtf?

Re United legends, its ridiculous that Cantonas credentials are even questioned tbh, anyone who does obviously never watched those years. He won us 4 titles in 5 seasons, but for the ban it would have been 5 in a row. A true legend.

Re United legends, its ridiculous that Cantonas credentials are even questioned tbh, anyone who does obviously never watched those years. He won us 4 titles in 5 seasons, but for the ban it would have been 5 in a row. A true legend.
Yep, anyone who disputes this needs a good kick in the baws. And we know just the man to do it :)

Yep, anyone who disputes this needs a good kick in the baws. And we know just the man to do it :)
Lol yeah I thought I had visited the wrong site. Plus King Eric played in an era for before geeks took over and analysed football ad nauseum, but for that 5 seasons it seemed from memory that Cantona seemed to have a hand in every goal we scored (when he wasnt suspended lol)

I agree. This is why I don’t like one big thread to discuss everything - there is no structure. The thread title is the issue here. I’ll close this one so that threads can be created for individual players. I’ll create a Paul Pogba Manchester United Legends thread for @Mr C.

What's with all the MrC cr@p. I commented on Cantona only. Nice that my posts are considered one step below bulls:it too :)

And there I was defending Cantona a player I absolutely adore.

I agree. This is why I don’t like one big thread to discuss everything - there is no structure. The thread title is the issue here. I’ll close this one so that threads can be created for individual players. I’ll create a Paul Pogba Manchester United Legends thread for @Mr C.
Naw, you dont even know what your agreeing to. Listen up for a minute!
You first need to decide if this is a forum or a board. To some it's a forum acting as a platform for boards and to some it is a board acting as a platform for forums. So given you clearly dont know I am taking the view this is a board acting as a platform for forums of which there would presently appear to be 10 of. The board is then further divided by threads created within the forums.
So, what I am trying to tell you is Legends of Manchester United is worthy of actually being a forum in order that threads (sub forums) can be created within.
If yea dont get it you should stick your finger up your bum and sit on your elbow and spend a few minutes in contemplation. It will come to you.

You first need to decide if this is a forum or a board. To some it's a forum acting as a platform for boards and to some it is a board acting as a platform for forums. So given you clearly dont know I am taking the view this is a board acting as a platform for forums of which there would presently appear to be 10 of. The board is then further divided by threads created within the forums.
So, what I am trying to tell you is Legends of Manchester United is worthy of actually being a forum in order that threads (sub forums) can be created within.
If yea dont get it you should stick your finger up your bum and sit on your elbow and spend a few minutes in contemplation. It will come to you.
You have a way with words, brings a tear to my eye sometimes.

I agree that a Legends forum is actually a good idea and was thinking myself after I saw you create this thread. @Sideshow Bob - something to consider I think?

What you’re saying now is nothing like what you said in the initial post. A forum would consist of threads not sub threads. You’re on a roll today, sunshine.

You have a way with words, brings a tear to my eye sometimes.

I agree that a Legends forum is actually a good idea and was thinking myself after I saw you create this thread. @Sideshow Bob - something to consider I think?
It’s not for me to decide. Personally, I’m not keen on the idea.

King Cantona the only man not to have the Hair dryer of Fergie tells you everything what a player what a man and when questioned about football now he says , it’s just a sport nothing more then that........ I loved him as a player and I love him as a person would love for him to be our DOF , loved it after we knocked PSG out a couple seasons ago too when he said I’m so happy.....could watch him all day

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back