League Cup 2021/22: Man Utd vs West Ham ~ Wed 22nd Sep 7.45pm KO

jsp

Top Poster Of Month
Utd start their league cup campaign with West Ham arriving have to assume both sides will rotate a lot from the teams we saw at the weekend.

Not totally sure on the fitness of a few players but we have to assume it'll be a lot of changes Cavani hasn't made the last two squads with an injury so doubt he will start this one but you expect it will be a heavily rotated team.

Think we might see Elanga start he's made a few match day squads and Ole seems to really like him with Amad/Rashford injured and James now gone he might get a chance.

You have to assume VDB will start the game and it won't be easy playing in a heavily rotated team but he will need to show what he can do otherwise he faces another season of being the nearly man.

Heaton

Dalot Lindelof Bailly Telles

Matic VDB

Sancho Lingard Elanga

Greenwood

I'd like to see United play a few more youngsters than that to be honest. Would be good to see someone like Hannibal get a game. But I doubt they do that as they have a lot of more experienced players who want game time.

Think we might see some of the U23 on the bench like Hanibal and Shoretire.

I know people are demanding trophies and the league cup is a trophy there to be won but I do think Ole has to rotate his team and look to give the senior lads who haven't had many minutes yet a start. He'll want these lads to have some minutes on the pitch and hopefully a bit of confidence as these are the ones he'll be turning to off the bench most of the time so they need to play.

I forgot Mata in my line up surely he's going to start this one?

I think he sees Greenwood as part of his prem 11. So he won't be playing.
And rightly so. Although I guess he could play Greenwood through the middle as the opportunities to do that will be few and far between.

Heaton

Dalot - Bailly - Maguire - Shaw

Matic - VDB

Mata - Lingard - Sancho

Martial​

Fully expect something like that. Very rarely is Maguire rested in any games so expect him to play. Is Telles fit?

Then the other guys are just squad players in need of some action. It’s one of those games where both teams will rotate heavily so may not be the best spectacle. No doubt we’ll have the big guns on the bench though just in case.

Martial another guy I totally forgot about.

Yeah I only had Greenwood starting because I didn't expect Ronaldo/Cavani to start.

I wonder if he might start Greenwood to give him a game at centre forward as part of his on going development.

Pretty sure Telles is fit he's been back in training for a while see him pop up quite a bit of the social media stuff the club put out.

Heaton

Dalot - Bailly - Maguire - Shaw

Matic - VDB

Mata - Lingard - Sancho

Martial​

Fully expect something like that. Very rarely is Maguire rested in any games so expect him to play. Is Telles fit?

Then the other guys are just squad players in need of some action. It’s one of those games where both teams will rotate heavily so may not be the best spectacle. No doubt we’ll have the big guns on the bench though just in case.

This is true (bolded) but Maguire has been really off his game. I maintain he's playing through a lower back injury, kinda like how Rio was getting pain injections before matches and keeping it hid. Maguire needs to sit one out.

Anyway, I'd think Maguire and Shaw will rested, with Lindelof and Telles in. Game winners on the bench: Bruno, Ronaldo. Would love to see some U23s get minutes because that's really the only reason to play in the cup. I read Hannibal is injured, it would have been the perfect opportunity to see if he can step up and make a claim for regular first team.

Might see Elanga, would love to see some youngsters at least on the bench like Hugill or Fish. Won't happen, though.

I hope we go complete second 11. It's too early in the comp to worry at all about this cup.

I wouldn't even bring Ronaldo Bruno or Maguire to the stadium in a playing capacity. Have an evening off and get some rest. We've got league and champions League games shortly enough.

I'd probably play Fred and offer him a bonus if he can get his pass completion over 85%

Really hoping to see Elanga in this one. He’s definitely got more chance of opportunities now James has gone to pastures new.

Fernandez, Shoretire and Hugill all playing for the U21 team tonight in the Papa Johns cup so won’t be involved tomorrow.

Now for the real comeback

OLE CONFIRMS PHIL JONES IS IN THE SQUAD!

I would like to see Alvaro Fernandez given some minutes
A prospect but a little too soon I would say. Got to really sharpen up his defensive skills - once he adds that to his game he will be a fine player. He has good technical ability for sure.

Yeah it's the new name of the Johnstone Paint Trophy.

Our U21 team now play in some little mini league with teams from league one and two.

I think as a competition it's very unpopular with fans as there are rules about how many changes the clubs in the EFL can make they can't just put out full reserve teams.

The idea was to give the U21 sides from PL clubs a chance to play a "real" competition but it's a cup no one really takes seriously until you get close to Wembley.

Think it's a 4 team mini league you play everyone once and if it's a draw then there's a pen shootout for an extra point the top two then move forward.

The U21 sides can also field a certain number of overage players.

On football manager the extra revenue from the competition really helps if you can go deep. 85k at Wembley pays for a lot of wages down in that division!

yeah, but should sport be sponsored by fast food companies. It amazes me when you see Coke and McDoanlds sponsoring the Olympics and the World Cup etc.

Anyway, not so bothered to think about it for too long, we all know the sport is second to the dollar.

Who should be allowed to sponsor sport?

Sponsorship money has to come from somewhere I guess.

Won't be long before the gambling companies are gone, should we allow the airlines to sponsor sports teams given the environmental issues that comes with that?

Think that competition is a bit like the prem clubs treat the league and FA cup you don't really take it serious until you get to the quarter final.

anyone should be allowed to sponsor sport, but should sport be more picky? rather than pick who pays the most.

Now of course they are going to take the money, because at the end of the day, it's more of a business than a sport. But is that right?

You sit on the sofa, while they tell you bet, eat junk food, drink fizzy drinks. All the while these big companies and sports teams get rich and the populaton gets fatter and unhealthier, over running the NHS and putting taxes up, that they don't pay enough of.

Like I said, not really anything I think about because I'm not stupid enough to be fooled by advertising, but it is a thought. Also not necessarily one I agree or disagree with.

Back on topic. I know nothing about that comp, as for tonight. I think he'll play Maguire, Greenwood, Fred, maybe even give Sancho some minutes.

Think clubs are just going to take the highest bidder from a sponsorship point of view they'd be crazy not to although a few clubs have refused to take sponsorship from gambling companies which is a major problem for football at the moment. The government will probably ban it fairly soon I reckon.

I'd be surprised if Maguire starts think both Lindelof and Bailly need some playing time so he's got to trust them to start games like this as I doubt West Ham will be going full strength as they're also in Europe this season.

From the MEN.

De Gea, Pogba and Ronaldo are not at the hotel so not in the squad and Cavani isn't in the squad as he's still recovering from injury

Expected that Dean Henderson will start in goal.

Telles and Jones in the squad

I was reading today Henderson wants to go out on loan in Jan.

How far off is rashford, he's been training a while now, anyone know?

I was reading today Henderson wants to go out on loan in Jan.

How far off is rashford, he's been training a while now, anyone know?

Henderson isn't going to stick around and be number 2 if De Gea is back in form I wouldn't be surprised if he's loaned in January then sold next summer. Not sure he did enough to nail down the number 1 spot last season but he's been unlucky with Covid giving De Gea a chance to win his place back.

Think Ole said Rashford will be back after the next international break which is after the Everton game in a few weeks. Leicester away on the 16th October would be his return date based on that. Certainly looks like he's hit the gym while he's been out of action his legs look huge.

He's back training on the grass but isn't doing full sessions assume it's just a case of waiting until the shoulder is at full strength before you start putting to much strain on it.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Big chance for a lot of lads here they need to win this or the chances for further games will be reduced.

Not always easy when you make this many changes but players have to take them when they come.

Big chance for a lot of lads here they need to win this or the chances for further games will be reduced.

Not always easy when you make this many changes but players have to take them when they come.
Yeah that’s a big point, these players have got to see us through or their game time will be significantly reduced.

We’ve not played bad at all but just started really poorly. I expect if we don’t see a goal by 55-60 mins then Fernandes and Greenwood will be on.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back