Status
Not open for further replies.
Midfielder Larnell Cole joined Manchester United in 2009. During the 2010/11 season Cole made 23 appearances (21 starts) and scored 8 goals for the academy team and one appearance for the reserves. In August 2011 he received his first England call-up (U19s).

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Manchester United Official Web Site

Larnell Cole's first-ever call-up to England is thoroughly merited, according to Reserves coach Warren Joyce.

The 18-year-old has been included in Noel Blake's Under-19 squad for the match against Holland in Maaseikerweg on Thursday.

Cole is joined by Reds team-mates Sam Johnstone and Will Keane in the 18-man party after being played out of position at full-back in a bid to add more strings to his bow.

"It was well deserved for Cole," Joyce told ManUtd.com. "I was speaking to Noel Blake about him the other week and he's been outstanding in various positions.

"The thing is he is obviously a midfielder who wants to play in midfield but it's all part of his development to play other roles. There's certain aspects of midfield play he needed to work on - especially the defensive side.

"So we've given him a few games at full-back to highlight where he's got to work on and he's done really well in that new position.

"There's no hiding place at full-back. I thought, earlier in the season, he was quite poor in one-on-one situations whilst defending in midfield. He's had to really concentrate and focus and he's done well there."

Will end up being a CM i think, same with Lingard also i think. His size can be a problem though but he might still grow.

Will end up being a CM i think, same with Lingard also i think. His size can be a problem though but he might still grow.

Central midfield is Cole's future position in my opinion.

Has a chance of making the squad for the Leeds game, Sir Alex mentioned him in the Pogba article on manutd.com

At the player of year awards Cole has said he'd love to go out on loan next season.

Puts to bed the rumour of him joining Leicester permanently.

Great stuff. Read an interview of his in Inside United recently, seems very down to earth.

Cole pleased with progress - Official Manchester United Website

Larnell Cole is pleased to be fully fit again after being rewarded for his form with a place on the bench in the Champions League clash against Galatasaray.

As well as helping lead United’s quest for more honours at Reserves level, the 19-year-old will have gained plenty of experience from the trip to Turkey.

The talented midfielder has already enjoyed plenty of success with Warren Joyce’s side but is targeting more glory in the inaugural Barclays Under-21 Premier League.

“I’m just aiming to get a good run of form going and to stay fit,” he vowed to ManUtd.com. “I had a knee injury towards the end of last season that carried on into this campaign. I was still feeling it in training and so I missed out on the tour, which was unfortunate and a shame because it would have been a great experience.

“So I want to keep my form and consistency going. I’ve had a year in the Reserves last season but the Under-21 league is still physical and competitive. We’re coming up against men and a lot of players who have experience of the Premier League. Therefore, it’s always difficult and you have to step your game up as we’re often playing against a strong team.”

Cole skippered the Reserves in a recent friendly against Tranmere Rovers and is growing accustomed to being one of the senior figures in the side this time around.

“It was the first time I’d captained the Reserves,” he revealed. “It’s no different really as you just have to play your normal game. Obviously, there is added pressure but you just have to focus on playing well and trying to show everybody else the right things to do by leading by example.”

What have you made of Cole's season so far? Where do you see him this time next year?

Don't think he's progressed much really. Technically gifted but like many of our U21s needs first team experience. Hasn't played much in his preferred CM position so hard to judge.

I have not seen anything to make me think he will make it at United. Dont really think he has progressed in two years.

Moyes on Larnell Cole: "The people tell me he's an exciting prospect."

Until about half way through last season I could not see what people were seeing in him. He suddenly seemed to start having impact on games and ended the season very strongly. I think a loan period would be good for him. He is not going to progress in the u21 team and he is nowhere near the first team.

It's about time he played first team football. Can't see him making it.

Yeah, me too. I had high hopes but he's stagnated, unfortunately.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back