Jurgen Klopp at Liverpool 2019/20

2-2 on the night. 3-2 on aggregate. Liverpool need 2. 15 mins to go. Been an excellent game to watch.

Toyed with them in the end. 4-2 on aggregate. 3-2 on the night. All talks of the greatest club team of all time laid to bed.

Really good game in truth. Don’t think Atletico are amazing but under Simeone they are stubborn as hell.

That talk of a Liverpool treble well and truly hit the buffers.

Simeone’s record of only getting knocked out of the champions league by a team containing Ronaldo continues.

He’d still be the man I went to if we did get rid of Ole.

I couldn't bear to have that kind of football at United.

Jose was bad enough.

I don’t think his football is anywhere nearly as bad as made out.

Not anywhere near as much as is being made out.

Yeah Liverpool dominated the game. But they’re going to at home. Atletico also had a good few chances. 10 efforts. 3 goals. They just back themselves to not concede and when they needed to respond did.

I don’t think his football is anywhere nearly as bad as made out.

It's grim but my god it works.

I don't want Utd to setup and play like the second best team I want a manager that makes us the boss in the game and dictates the way the game is played almost all the time.

Simeone is great at his job but he's tried changing them from a super defensive team into a more attacking team but it hasn't really worked they pulled off that league win but since then he's realised you don't win leagues by trying not to lose you win leagues by trying to win every game.

They aren't going to get the title are they!

Who knows the FA announcing that the end date for this season has been postponed indefinitely suggests ever plan they are currently looking at involves starting from where we left off but the longer things are on hold the less certain we can be of that happening.

As I said on another thread I don't really see how sport can resume in any format for at least the rest of this year if it is a 12 month shutdown of sport they might say we just pick it up where we left off but any player out of contract this summer can be renewed if clubs don't renew them then they're free agents and can sign for whoever they want.

Would that work? Pogba could more or leave for free then.

Think he’s got 2 years left at end of this season as we have one year option on his contract.

Whatever happens now will be a fudge I think we will end up with null and void results but can see why currently that’s seen as last resort.

I think they should finish this season, and shorten next season. Just play each team once.

The TV contracts would destroy that. If this season isn’t played out by July 31st they’ll lose £300m. If they also start messing about with next season they’ll start losing money on that too.

In terms of revenue lost this season is already screwed to take a hit on two seasons for the sake of finishing this one won’t be something any of the clubs want.

it's the only way to solve the winners, losers and european places fairly.

The TV are going to lose out anyway.

You are losing out on 10 match days only, assuming this season would otherwise be a write off.

38/2 = 19 matches + the 9 left from this season = 28 matches, 10 less than a normal season.

Then Liverpool get their title, all european places are sorted along with promotion and demotion.

It's the only fair way. TV companies just need to suck it up.

It’s not the TV companies that have to suck up anything. It’s the clubs. TV contracts just won’t get paid. What your way would actually be doing is losing 28 weekends of football which is over a three quarters of a season which works out at over a 1 billion pounds you’d be taking out of the game. Instead of the £300m you’d be taking out just writing it off null and void or calling it. And that’s just on matches not played and doesn’t include any penalty hits they’ll receive.

And that’s just the UK based contracts.

I think the reality is once this all blows over and the legal people get hold of the contract we will likely find that clubs will have to pay back some TV money for the games that were not completed or more likely defer some income from future seasons. They will need to absorb that cost along with the cost of paying back season ticket holders etc so they'll probably be telling players bonuses aren't going to be paid and some might have to agree pay cuts.

My guess is clubs will ask fans to renew at cheaper prices next season if the games don't happen so every club is going to be looking at a big drop in turnover.

It’s not the TV companies that have to suck up anything. It’s the clubs. TV contracts just won’t get paid. What your way would actually be doing is losing 28 weekends of football which is over a three quarters of a season which works out at over a 1 billion pounds you’d be taking out of the game. Instead of the £300m you’d be taking out just writing it off null and void or calling it. And that’s just on matches not played and doesn’t include any penalty hits they’ll receive.

And that’s just the UK based contracts.

Of course they are going to lose weekends. Are you thinking they will finish this season and next?

That's impossible I would say. UK are about 3 months behind China in what they are doing to curb it. They are just allowing certain people back to work. That puts it to July for certain people going back to work. I think football is not included.

We need to get used to the fact we are going to lose a lot of football. And we need to come up with a fair resolution. Granted my idea costs half a season, but it solves lots of tricky arguments about titles, relegations and euro places. Whatever happens weekends will be lost.

Say we're ready to go end of August. You can lose 9 weekends of football and £300m or 28 weekends of football and over a billion and that's just UK TV revenue. Not gate receipts, not overseas money, not money taking in the ground, not sponsorship losses. The answer they take will be about minimising money loss not what's best for football reasons and that's obvious.

It just comes down to if they null and void the season or declare it finished. Another ball wont be kicked this season unless we can't play until December and it's impossible to finish next season too.

what happens to the title, promotion, relegation and Euro places.

Let's take united for example, null the season, that's another season without CL football. Leeds won't go up, Liverpool lose the title? there would be uproar.

If they close it from here, again united lose out on CL, when they have played more difficult teams than some of those above them, Villa go down with a game in hand etc. etc.

Neither way works for me. They need to finish the season.

But you're right, it will come down to money.

Honestly at this point who cares this whole thing is changing the world as we know it who gets promoted/relegated, plays in Europe etc really doesn't matter. The pressure to finish seasons are only really coming from those who have something to gain which is a handful of clubs we'd all like to see it finish but if it can't you just have to accept that and move on.

Null and Void puts everyone back in the position they were in which is what compensation normally aims to do in contracts you haven't gained anything or lost anything yeah it might suck that you lost an opportunity but you have draw lines.

Money will not be a factor time will be a factor.

what you don't want is court battles going on, while a season is live.

What ever happens it needs to be sorted once and for all before a new season starts.

If you're Liverpool, losing that title would be tough,

It'll probably come down to a league decision I don't see clubs going to court as what grounds will they be going to court of yes you lost an opportunity but you never actually had it. Liverpool wouldn't be going to court to demand they're given a title they never actually won.

The player contracts will make things to complicated if they can't finish this season by 30th June which we all know they can't.

I think the absolute best case scenario is the new seasons starts as planned in August.

If I had the choice of Covid-19 not happening or Liverpool winning the title. I would take Liverpool winning the league every time. Football is irrelevant.

If I had the choice of Covid-19 not happening or Liverpool winning the title. I would take Liverpool winning the league every time. Football is irrelevant.

Obviously. But that isn’t the choice. It’s would you take United not getting Champions League football for Liverpool not winning the title. Covid-19 is here regardless of the choice the league makes.

Personally I’m happy with either. I don’t think football should be hastily resumed without thinking if the consequences and it should probably be the last thing to start back up as attendances of 50k plus aren’t what we need right now. But I do think United will get top 4.

That said it would be hilarious if the season got null and void. You can allow yourself a small wry smile at the prospect of it happening to them.

I couldn’t care less to be honest. I’m scared about my own health and potentially passing the virus on to loved ones.

That’s fair enough but to others discussing permutations and football just like the game itself is the escapism from real life that they need and that’s fair enough.

It’s a football forum they idea of discussing permutations behind what may happen and getting shot down for it is ridiculous.

Just because you don’t care for the discussion doesn’t mean it isn’t good for others to think about something other than Covid-19 for 30 seconds.

In the scenario where Covid 19 never existed I'd say no title is worth another season of no CL because not being in the CL doesn't really bother me that much for me the reward on our side isn't big enough in this scenario.

Would you take Liverpool winning the league this season knowing you had a 50/50 chance of Utd winning the title again next season?

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back