Juan Mata | Match Discussion thread 2019/20

Status
Not open for further replies.
We don't know what he's like off the pitch for all we know he's a nightmare we just assume he's a good influence because he seems a nice guy.

Is it really a good example to set players to sign big money contracts and be happy being a squad player? Surely you want a group of players who are hungry to play every minute of every game.

I thought he was out the door last summer but the club gave him a new deal to 2021 probably to try and sell him this summer for a fee that covers last seasons wages.

If we don't start making tough decisions and clearing out the players who just aren't good enough we'll keep going around in circles because if these guys are here being paid then they need to play. I know it's harsh but for me Mata should have been gone years ago after that first season under Mourinho he should have been out the door.

He is one of a list of players who should have gone and in many cases even got a contract extension instead of going. For Mata and the likes of Jones to be given contracts is madness. Jones was right up there with the Sanchez mess. A player who is usually injured, who isn't needed and is crap got a 5 year mega deal!! Ole is gradually clearing them out thankfully. Even Matic recently being given 3 years at his age is ludicrous.

I disagree, there was no Bruno at the time, and no creativity.

I have a long held view that the club see him as a part of the long term future behind the scenes.

He'll be back to Spain as soon as we stop offering him new contracts I don't see him being lined up to go behind the scenes.

New contracts are handed out to the squad players because it's cheaper than buying replacements problem and we never seem to be able to sell them which would give us money to re-invest in the team.

I think Mata was a universally beloved player at Chelsea, United, and whenever he featured in the Spain set up. He has aged out of being useful in the Premier League and it is time for him to stop playing for United. I'd love for him to stay on as ambassador or something to that effect. However it is a bit rich saying how bad he is after a game where he set up 2 goals and set up a sitter that was missed. An assist is a meaningful stat if it was created out of nothing, not just one pass of 20 that lead to a goal. Both of Mata's assists (and the would-be 3rd) were crafted by him alone. Loved him as a player, love him for his 1% campaign.

I think Mata was a universally beloved player at Chelsea, United, and whenever he featured in the Spain set up. He has aged out of being useful in the Premier League and it is time for him to stop playing for United. I'd love for him to stay on as ambassador or something to that effect. However it is a bit rich saying how bad he is after a game where he set up 2 goals and set up a sitter that was missed. An assist is a meaningful stat if it was created out of nothing, not just one pass of 20 that lead to a goal. Both of Mata's assists (and the would-be 3rd) were crafted by him alone. Loved him as a player, love him for his 1% campaign.

Really he flicked a ball around the corner to Lingard and the second goal was all Martial he started the one two and then beat the defender and the keeper. To me they're a stat that don't really tell you a lot about a player as they rely on the next person to score for them to count. Always felt the more reflective stat is chances created you could put 5 chances on a plate for someone else and they miss every time.

I don't see him staying in England after retirement I think he'll end up back in Spain.

I've just always seen him as a spare part we didn't really need him when we signed him, he never really fit the style of any of our managers playing style maybe LVG which was when he had his best spell and he's hung around a bit to long.

2 assists against LASK is not exactly dizzy heights. He also missed a good handful of through balls notably one to Igalho from the right which was awful, even I would have slid it through. He was well off the pace, he can't keep up with an attack or track back. He doesn't even get played in his no.10 position, Lingard got the nod over him so what does that tell you? He gets knocked off the ball so easily, as bad as Dan James tbh.

He was a great player at Chelsea but he's not really ever fitted in at Utd and never really been given the chance at no.10.

But if you want him as an ambassador I'm sure he'd be great, no issues with that. I'd rather him in a suit in the stands than on the pitch.

Late in the game when he dropped deep he actually was much better but by then there was no pressure on the ball from LASK but physically there's no way he could play as a centre mid.

When you see him you can't help think the mind is still working at 100% but the body is only at 70%.

Not sure he's done enough to be an ambassador on the payroll he's a good lad and if he left he'd deserve a proper send off when the stadium is full again but he's been an ok player in a pretty lean spell at the club based on recent history.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back