0​
0​

Previous Seasons
Juan Mata | Match Discussion thread 2017/18
Juan Mata | Match Discussion thread 2016/17
Juan Mata | Match Discussion thread 2015/16
Juan Mata | Match Discussion thread 2014/15

Sideshow Bob

Premier League: Wolverhampton Wanderers 1-1 Manchester United - 19th August 2019

He is an uninspiring impact sub. I’m struggling to think of an occasion when he’s made a difference from the bench. I’m sure there will be the odd occasion.

jsp

Premier League: Wolverhampton Wanderers 1-1 Manchester United - 19th August 2019

He is an uninspiring impact sub. I’m struggling to think of an occasion when he’s made a difference from the bench. I’m sure there will be the odd occasion.
I agree he's a guy who tends to perform when he starts games rather than turn a game off the bench.

He came on so late it was hard to really make much of an impact but he was poor when he came on had a chance to put someone through and completely fluffed the pass.

Said in the summer I'd have let him go

Sideshow Bob

Premier League: Manchester United 1-0 Leicester City - 14th September 2019

Slow, weak and it appears his legs are going/have gone.

jsp

I agree. Gomes I believe has to be phased in.
I think if Gomes proves himself in the midweek games he will get in ahead of Mata as we know Mata is on the way out Mata needs to be in a team that dominates the ball at his age I really think his days in the PL are numbered.

I felt in the summer they should have let him go but if he went a replacement was required and with no CL money its clear budget was limited this season.

jsp

I like Mata but I think he has had his day
Always felt he was a square peg for a round hole at Utd.

Signed when we didn’t need by a number 10 by a manager who was sacked 3 months later, I don’t think LVG really had a position for him but he thrived in that right forward role under LVG but we know he wasn’t a Jose player.

He was a proper panic buy the second of the Woodward era.

Without a replacement we do need him this season but we should have moved him on by now been here 5.5 years and never looked anywhere near the player he was at chelsea... not all his fault but he’s only survived because of the constant change of management.

Sideshow Bob

Europa League: AZ Alkmaar 0-0 Manchester United - 3rd October 2019

I don’t see the point anymore.

jsp

I think he needs a go and play in a side that dominates a weaker league a team like us will never get much out of him as we don't dominate the ball enough and for Mata to useful you need the ball all the time.

He'd probably look a million dollars playing for Celtic or someone like that.

I do believe that to some extent the game has moved on from players like him even the more technical players now have to be quick and aggressive something Mata has never really been.

Keeping him was a cheaper solution than replacing him which seems to have dictated a lot of decisions in the last 12 months when it came to handing out new contracts.

I see little point in playing him ahead of someone like Gomes as a number 10

Sideshow Bob

Europa League: Partizan Belgrade 0-1 Manchester United - 24th October 2019

No point.

jsp

I think they might try to sell him in January he was given that new deal probably to protect his transfer value but I'm not really sure where he'd go I don't think China really appeals to him, MLS won't pay a transfer fee so it's really clubs with a bit of money who feel they need a bit of experience who might think about him.

He needs to be playing in a dominant team that has a lot of the ball.

Sideshow Bob

Europa League: Manchester United 3-0 Partizan Belgrade - 7th November 2019

His best performance of the season.

His legs are clearly gone.

jsp

Yeah just kind of summed him up still got the touch and the weight of pass and vision but he’s weak, slow and runs out of steam.

Hard to understand why he got a new deal I wonder if it will be a Fellaini situation new deal then sold 6 months later.

Just struggling to see where he goes from here as the PL just isn’t the place for him.

Mr C

I think united see him staying in another role, it's the only reason I can see for his new deal.

jsp

Think Ole just wanted a few good examples in the dressing room for the younger generation same with Young really guys who might be at the end of the career and a bit of a spent force but they set a good example of how to conduct yourself.

Apart from Europa League it's hard to really see where he gets games but I guess with a thin squad we kind of need a few senior boys who can go in with the kids in those sort of matches.

Sideshow Bob

Premier League: Manchester United 2-2 Aston Villa - 1st December 2019

It's like playing with 10 men.

jsp

I think this season he's really gone off the cliff in terms of performance level physically he just can't handle it any more he's to slow and to weak for this league.

He's one of the 3 number 10's at the club who all need to be shifted in the summer the only one who might have a future is Lingard if he can find some form he's probably ok as a squad player but there should be a lot of better players ahead of him.

jsp

This season bud really?
We all know he's been declining but I do think this year is where he's gone from someone you can rely on to come in and out every now and again to someone who just can't handle it anymore bit like Neville when he played that one game and everyone including him knew it was time to retire.

Apparently he took a pay cut to stay in a reduced capacity but I do think the club were just holding off on making a tough decision if Ole wanted to play 4-2-3-1 this season then signing a quality number 10 was vital.