Champions League 0

Previous Seasons
Juan Mata | Match Discussion thread 2017/18
Juan Mata | Match Discussion thread 2016/17
Juan Mata | Match Discussion thread 2015/16

Juan Mata | Match Discussion thread 2014/15

Juan Mata | Match Discussion thread 2013/14

Red Warrior

Apparently Mata started the game, did play 45 minutes and was taken off at half time. I was surprised at that cos I don't remember seeing him whatsoever.
Another one that went missing!

jsp

Shouldn't be starting games especially on the right of a front 3 but again problem position not solved so another season of square pegs in round holes.

Unless we change formation he really doesn't have a role in this team and given he's down to 12 months on his deal he is a player who should have been told to move on this summer but he clearly either doesn't want to leave or the club can't get serious offers for him.

I like Mata as a player but his signing was a mistake when it was made it was a panic buy as we didn't need him but by now he should've been moved on.

Red Warrior

It's utterly ridiculous Mata on the right, you might as well put Shaw there!! Mata has no legs and we need a pacy player there. Is it just me or is the the obvious solution be to put Sanchez right for a run of games?

IDFD

The obvious solution is to put Sanchez there but for some reason we wont. Now I just want us to pick a starting 11 stick to it and see what the hell happens. Ideally for me that would be last nights back 5 with Dalot coming in when fit lets build that back 5 ready to play together full of potential but they wont reach it if they don't play. Matic in for Periera. Sanchez Lukaku Rashford up top. Let them build some chemistry.

Mata Martial and Herrera wont be here come July next year. We've no need to keep them as happy as possible.

That's the starting 11 and plays as often as possible with a few rotations being made no wholesale changes.

Red Warrior

I actually thought it would be good to have Young rb as he would offer something going forward and stick some crosses in, but he cant do that when Mata made no effort to cover him due to laziness or no legs or both!

jsp

The obvious solution is stop playing wingers since we don't have any and play a diamond and accept that the full backs have to adopt attacking positions to provide width and start higher up the pitch and force the team to press from the front but that's not a traditional Mourinho style of place.

This way you could put Mata central in behind 2 strikers like Lukaku & Sanchez where he might be able to create an opening and he'd also give Pogba/Fred someone to pass to when they receive the ball in midfield.

I'm at the point where sticking any of our lads on the wing feels a waste of time as none of them really want to be there as none of them like the tracking back part of the role even Sanchez.

Mr C

We played with Rashford and Martial yesterday, both full of pace. No service. Martial got the ball once in the first half and roasted the defender.
Too many passes going astray in midfield, probably becasue they were worried about teh defence so didn't want to get too far forward and went for the pass, wrong decisions.

we could play like that easily, but the defence is not good enough to be isolated at times.

jsp

One of his best performances in a red shirt absolute class second half.

IDFD

Do we need to go to a 4-2-3-1. Today proved Pogba can play deep. It might not get the best out of him but it would allow us to set up

Fred Pogba

Mata Sanchez Martial

Lukaku

jsp

I certainly think we can at home but he’s clearly worried about exposing that defence but protecting it doesn’t seem to help much either so why not go for it.

Sideshow Bob

Premier League: Chelsea 2-2 Manchester United - 20th October 2018

One of his better performances for United.

IDFD

I thought he was comfortably man of the match. 2 great performances back to back

jsp

Yep our best player today.

Would be nice to see him get a run in the side.

jsp

Not many better than him at those free kicks right on the edge of the box.

One of very few who can get it over the wall and back down with precision and speed that close to goal.

Ben Townsend

Mata was the only one for me who should of taken that, brilliant free kick taker from close range.