Jose Mourinho to be named United manager

Status
Not open for further replies.

RichH2016

So according to the BBC website Mourinho is going to be named United boss!!!

Jose Mourinho: Former Chelsea boss to be named Manchester United manager

I'm absolutely gobsmacked but I'm also delighted!!! What a great day this has now turned out to be. I'm shocked though that they have announced this today. I thought for sure the club would let LVG celebrate his success first. To be honest I thought the win would give him another season and it tainted today's win for me but not now!!! Best day for many a year.

José Mourinho can mould an exciting, attacking Manchester United side | Michael Cox

CjFJjh_WkAAuzvq.jpg

I for one don't think it'll be as bad as what some might think.

Every team Jose has been at have scored goals as the article posted above shows. Yes he knows how to set his teams up to eek out results but you can't win every game by playing great football.

He likes to have flying wingers and playing with pace and purpose. Nothing he does is for the sake of it like it was with LVGs possession nonsense! He plays a lot of counter attacking football... Again isn't that what we've been crying out for? And isn't that when we've played our best football with these kids?

Yes he comes with baggage but didn't LVG? He's fallen out with people in the past. Yeah OK he comes with concerns about utilising youngsters but maybe it's time he settled and changed some of his ways.

At the end of the day if we didn't make this appointment it would be used against us. It would just be another sign that we've fallen from grace! Whether it would be true or not you know everyone would think we just couldn't lure him in. And with City bringing in Pep we had to respond. Sticking with LVG might been "honourable" but it would have been dumb.

Have said it a lot but his football is no different to Fergie in his later years, it depends on the situation and the opposition. Some really good football at the start of the title winning season with Chelsea last season but as the title got closer it was more about grinding wins out, recall Fergie's final season being similar where we scored lot of goals at start of season but also conceded a lot too, 2nd half of season was more cautious.

Poor showing from whoever leaked he was getting the chop. Barely lifted the cup and it came out.

Jose is our only option like him or not.

It was poor timing and I'm sure not how the club wanted it to go down... But ultimately there's no good time to sack somebody?! And maybe it was good timing in a kind of mixed up way? I mean there was elation at winning the cup so LVG was bound to be on a high so what better time to break bad news than when you are in a good mood?

Also it shows maybe the hunger, passion and ruthlessness is back? To sack the manager at the time says: OK we've had success, we've won a trophy but this club needs and deserves better. Winning the FA Cup needs to be the start of a bigger future. LVG clearly wasn't that man.

To be honest I think LVG has known for a while this would be his last game. I said some time ago I felt the decision was made regardless of whether we won the cup or not, Tbh If that is the case I think he has acted with dignity. Despite all the bad stuff I think he has left us in a better state than when he took over. I wish him the best.

The whole situation has been a joke. If he knew before Saturday then good on him as he's handled himself brilliantly. If he didn't then I feel for the guy. And for me to say that is big because I can't stand him. But to have all this play out after months of speculation and after delivering a trophy is disgusting.

Did he deserve to go? Yes! Was he the right man for the job going forwards? No! But he deserves to be treated better than this.

I don't particularly think it has been handled badly. They managed to keep it going to the end of the season and won a trophy. Once they had decided to get through to the end of the season I think they handled it the best possible way. Look what happened at City when they announced the change of manager. They could have sacked him at xmas and given the new man a bit of time and a transfer window but failing that I think they probably did the next best thing. Despite the pretty awful football he has left with a trophy and the new man with something to work with. On the whole I am relatively happy.

There is no good way to sack a manager. I don't think the club want it aired in public like this, but leaks have been a big problem since Fergie left.

The chance of bringing in Ibra will have skyrocketed with this news. I've never been a huge fan of Mourinho, mainly because of his antics but he will never ever say the fans have too much expectation or we need to aspire to City's standards. He will relish this job, Moyes was weak, LVG was very old school - I think Mourinho will bring back the good times, he is a born winner.

When Fergie left I said I would not want Mourinho but all that has changed now. We need a strong personality. We need a born winner.

I didn't want Mourinho at the time but in hindsight wish we had, think it made more sense then than it does now. This is probably Mourinho's biggest task now, in 2013 he would have been taking over a successful club, he's now trying to get the club back to where it was. I suspect he'll have spent the last 4-5 months making plans, and unlike Moyes and Van Gaal may get his transfers done early. Moyes got announced in May but didn't start until July, Van Gaal similarly with him involved in the World Cup. Mourinho's had his holiday, he's done a bit of planning by looks of it and is ready to go now.

Sorry still not convinced on the Mourinho situation ...I personally wouldn't go for him he brings too much baggage...he might win things but it depends on if that is the be all and end all..is it going to be a three year visit and then someone else having to put United back in the people's eyes of a football club who people don't hate because of his ego and managerial ways...there are other managers out there who would have United at heart and not themselves ....we'll see , but at the moment I have my reservations...

is it going to be a three year visit and then someone else having to put United back in the people's eyes of a football club who people don't hate because of his ego and managerial ways.

Just a couple of things I'd like to pick up on here. Firstly... Most United fans were happy to think Pep was an option. But when does Pep stay around for more than 3 years?

Secondly... When was the last time we were not hated? I think this may be the first time in decades because Moyes and LVG made us so poor people laughed instead.

Thirdly... I don't recall Fergie being a popular man with rival teams? He was hated for his arrogance and things he would say. But both were and are ultimately respected for their achievements.

Maybe Jose doesn't play great football (though I don't necessarily agree) but he will make us relevant again. He will make us a serious competitor again. And if he only lasts 3 years I'm damn sure he'll put the team in a much better position ready for the next manager to play great football.

Just a couple of things I'd like to pick up on here. Firstly... Most United fans were happy to think Pep was an option. But when does Pep stay around for more than 3 years?

Secondly... When was the last time we were not hated? I think this may be the first time in decades because Moyes and LVG made us so poor people laughed instead.

Thirdly... I don't recall Fergie being a popular man with rival teams? He was hated for his arrogance and things he would say. But both were and are ultimately respected for their achievements.

Maybe Jose doesn't play great football (though I don't necessarily agree) but he will make us relevant again. He will make us a serious competitor again. And if he only lasts 3 years I'm damn sure he'll put the team in a much better position ready for the next manager to play great football.
Firstly if you don't remember when we were not hated but admired you've not watched long.....that's no disrespect...a lot wasn't hate it was jealousy ...again Fergie was hated but it was a respectful hate but he did it for United not for himself and as far as putting the team in a better position it wouldn't take a genius to do that....as far as Pep he's never built from adversity when that happens and he succeeds great...sorry you didn't like my thoughts but they are mine and ones I live and die by.....I've seen United loved , admired been jealous off and laughed more than once , been the butt of jokes but a life long fan I only want the best for the Reds .....

Longevity in management is a thing of the past, not just at the top but all the way down. I think the Moyes appointment was made on the basis of looking for another Fergie, in terms of someone who would stay long term, football has changed, there's not going to be another Fergie, there might be down the line but at the moment management is a short term thing with managers swapping clubs.

Don't see a better alternative to Mourinho that is available at the moment.

Firstly if you don't remember when we were not hated but admired you've not watched long.....that's no disrespect...a lot wasn't hate it was jealousy ...again Fergie was hated but it was a respectful hate but he did it for United not for himself and as far as putting the team in a better position it wouldn't take a genius to do that....as far as Pep he's never built from adversity when that happens and he succeeds great...sorry you didn't like my thoughts but they are mine and ones I live and die by.....I've seen United loved , admired been jealous off and laughed more than once , been the butt of jokes but a life long fan I only want the best for the Reds .....

Apologies you've taken my message the wrong way. It wasn't an attack, we all have our own views but on a forum we are all here to discuss, argue and agree right? :)

I've been watching United for 20 years. Whether it was through jealousy or not we were hated. And Jose is hated because he's successful AND because yes I agree he's not always won in the most attractive way and he's pushed boundaries.

I personally have always disliked Jose... Why? Because he's controversial but I'm sure as our manager I'll embrace that when he's winning.

Don't see a better alternative to Mourinho that is available at the moment.

Completely agree although there's not that many better options in world football?! And every other team in the world would be delighted to have him on board.

Apologies you've taken my message the wrong way. It wasn't an attack, we all have our own views but on a forum we are all here to discuss, argue and agree right? :)

I've been watching United for 20 years. Whether it was through jealousy or not we were hated. And Jose is hated because he's successful AND because yes I agree he's not always won in the most attractive way and he's pushed boundaries.

I personally have always disliked Jose... Why? Because he's controversial but I'm sure as our manager I'll embrace that when he's winning.

Completely agree although there's not that many better options in world football?! And every other team in the world would be delighted to have him on board.
Sorry we seem to be getting at cross purposes here...yes we are here to agree/disagree and all hopefully are here only for the good of United in one way or another it's just that in my mind Mourinho is not Man Utd he's solely for himself and I for one think there's better options for United....who have United at heart...and know the United way...traditions...and there history and not through learning it but being part of it....

Sorry we seem to be getting at cross purposes here...yes we are here to agree/disagree and all hopefully are here only for the good of United in one way or another it's just that in my mind Mourinho is not Man Utd he's solely for himself and I for one think there's better options for United....who have United at heart...and know the United way...traditions...and there history and not through learning it but being part of it....

Ooh believe me mate 12 months ago I'd have said the same. I didn't want Jose as I've never really been a fan of his methods. But whether we like them or not my god they are successful. And right now this team needs that. We need to be relevant again in the right way. Jose gets a lot of criticism for his style of play but I don't think it's that bad. He gets results when needed but he can and does play good football at the right times. He doesn't fit with what we've had but football moves on and I think we as a club need to otherwise we risk falling further behind.

Of course that's just my opinion and of course you have yours. And having those differing opinions for us to discuss is what makes this forum great right? ;):)

Ooh believe me mate 12 months ago I'd have said the same. I didn't want Jose as I've never really been a fan of his methods. But whether we like them or not my god they are successful. And right now this team needs that. We need to be relevant again in the right way. Jose gets a lot of criticism for his style of play but I don't think it's that bad. He gets results when needed but he can and does play good football at the right times. He doesn't fit with what we've had but football moves on and I think we as a club need to otherwise we risk falling further behind.

Of course that's just my opinion and of course you have yours. And having those differing opinions for us to discuss is what makes this forum great right? ;):)
Just a quick one.....why do people seem to think that foreign managers are the best...when we have good managers here who don't get the acclaim they deserve...I mean we could have spent what l.v.g did and played better football and how much is Jose going to get....still think he's wrong...still think there's better on our own shores.....ah well we shall see..

With Mourinho available i'd have been disappointed not to see him given a go. He's a huge manager, perhaps the biggest around and i'm intrigued to see how he'll do in the job he's been desperate to get for many years. With Guardiola across the road, he'll have extra incentive to do well.

The only British manager i'd have been interested in, and still it would have been a gamble, is Eddie Howe from Bournemouth. Really like his style. Maybe next time.

Just a quick one.....why do people seem to think that foreign managers are the best...when we have good managers here who don't get the acclaim they deserve...I mean we could have spent what l.v.g did and played better football and how much is Jose going to get....still think he's wrong...still think there's better on our own shores.....ah well we shall see..

Because sadly British managers just aren't popular with owners. It's been that way for years and shows no signs of changing. I think Moyes ruined the big chance for them and that'll be it for a long while. Let's be honest when Wenger goes they'll get a foreign manager in. Taking a shot on Howe would have been intriguing and a few months ago so would Hughes. But I guess the club wanted a proven manager? And what British manager has the resume of Jose? Maybe they plan on restoring the club to a major force and then when Jose goes they bring in a British manager? When the overall team is in a much better position? Sadly unlikely but you never know.

Only British manager I would consider is Eddie Howe but he's far too risky, we can't afford another bad year. Mourinho is the only choice really.

If there was a top British manager that understood the club and would lead us to glory then great but unfortunately there isn't. At best you'll get 5 years from a manager.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Mourinho's first Instagram photo:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back