Jose Mourinho has written a six-page love letter to Manchester United

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sideshow Bob

Jose Mourinho has written a six-page love letter to Manchester United

Jose Mourinho has written Manchester United a six-page letter explaining his strong desire to manage the club and how he would be willing to adhere to United’s principles. He also outlined his plans for the team, and the key decisions he would take.

Mourinho, who was sacked by Chelsea last month, believes that a detailed charm offensive can finally secure his dream job of managing United once his old mentor Louis van Gaal leaves, and that depature is now widely expected to come in the summer.

Though Mourinho immediately targeted United as his next job after leaving Chelsea, the 52-year-old was keen not to step on Van Gaal’s toes. He worked for the Dutch coach at Barcelona between 1997-2000, and greatly respects him.

Yet United’s recent poor results, not least the 1-0 home defeat by Southampton yesterday, have opened up the possibility that Van Gaal’s time is running out, so Mourinho’s representative Jorge Mendes contacted the United board to discuss the future.

Though many among the United hierarchy were more open to appointing the Portuguese than they were when Sir Alex Ferguson retired in 2013, the former Chelsea manager’s camp were made aware that there was a still a considerable faction at the club opposed to hiring him. The reasons are thought to range from Mourinho’s regular controversies, his style of football and his failure to nurture young talent

The Portuguese is well aware of this thinking, and that is why he took the decision to write a lengthy document, emphasising just how much he wants the job and how he would be willing to adapt his style to meet United’s principles. They have traditionally prided themselves on playing open, attacking football, and they have always set great store on developing their own young players.

In his submission Mourinho also presented a forensic analysis of this season’s team. The Portuguese has gone through every area of the current squad, offering extensive thoughts on what could be improved as well as making suggestion about signings that could help strengthen the squad.

Would be great if true... If he feels that passionately about the club then that's an exciting prospect.

But can he really change? I mean everywhere he goes he creates controversies.

The media make a lot of how Mourinho creates this us vs the world issue! But they say it like a bad thing? Wasn't that exactly what Fergie did?

I just worry that he can't change... He said a lot of this when he returned to Chelsea. That he was a changed man and wanted to stay for the long term but two seasons later and it goes bad.

There's no doubting he's a top manager. If he can change the way he handles certain situations and can clean up his act a bit then I'm all for it. We know his teams can play good football. We know he can win and we know he's got what to takes to deliver success!! If he can comply with the philosophy of our club then I'm all for it. And I'm sure I wouldn't be alone.

But there's a lot of ifs...

The media are having a field day producing absurd rumors regarding United. Any bad result is being used to pile the pressure on Lvg. They want a sacking it seems.

Believe me even I want him gone now. But the next appointment should be good or else we run the risk of going the pool way.

God knows what to believe... I always think there's no smoke without fire. So maybe he didn't write a 6 page letter but that he's had some kind of contact with the club.

The media want LVG gone, more and more fans want him gone and it's getting closer I can feel it!

I'm still of the opinion that if he was going to get sacked it would have happened last month. The fact it didn't happen/still hasn't happened suggests that the board either still back him, are waiting until they don't have to pay him compensation because of a potential clause in his contract or are waiting on Guardiola's decision.

I genuinely wouldn't be surprised if he's still here come late spring.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back