Jose Mourinho - Finishing in the top 4 would be a miracle.

Ben Townsend

His statement might be true, but its set yet another negative tone at the club - the manager has no belief in the group of players he has ....

It may well be true but when the club is already in a negative position you try and stay positive instead of this doom and gloom attitude Jose has.

Even saying we may not make the top four but we will never stop believing or fighting because we are Manchester United. Never giving up is ingrained in our history - something like that would have been nice to hear but nope we get woe me Jose.

Such a vote of confidence from the manager. If that statement shouldn't end his job what will? He is actually saying he hasn't got this team playing as they should.

Two weeks ago he guaranteed top 4! Now he's had to go back on that. And he's still in charge?

Woodward, Jose has as good as said we aren't going to make top 4! The minimum criteria that you as Chief Exec has set is a top 4 finish so he's not going to do that so sack him now.

I am definitely of a mind that Jose is trying to get sacked and the board aren't ready to sack him. For me we should just cut him loose before anymore damage is done

Well I think we need to get use to the fact that we wont be playing any Champions League games next season unless we win it this year.

Sorry I just had to pick myself up from the floor laughing so hard. i certainly wont be watching another Europa campaign. The missus will be well chuffed.

I am beginning to think he wants to get sacked.

Woodward is too useless to understand. I hate what the Glazers have done to our club. I 'd rather the Saudi's owned us!!!! and that is saying something.

He's changing the narrative to protect his reputation getting the excuses in early the same stuff happened at Chelsea when it went pear shaped he started firing off at anyone and everyone.

He says 82 points and 2nd was over achievement last season and it probably was but he's now preparing us for a much worse season at the current rate we will get to around 60 points which will be good enough for 6th which is what he delivered in the first season. That's a massive drop off from last year and while he'll say he didn't get reinforcements it's not like we lost a star player he still has the same squad as last season with Fred instead of Carrick who never played.

From here 4th would be a miracle at the current scoring rate the team in 4th will get 81 points now that will probably drop slightly as teams will start dropping points vs the weaker sides as injuries/fatigue/rotation kick in but you are still looking at 70 points plus to get top 4 for Utd to do that we will need a near perfect run in. There are 72 points left to play for to get to 80 we'd need to get 58 points.

The words he's used are of a man who's given up on the task not a man who's ready to take on the challenge because he knows using his methods on these players won't get the result he needs.

From here 4th would be a miracle at the current scoring rate the team in 4th will get 81 points now that will probably drop slightly as teams will start dropping points vs the weaker sides as injuries/fatigue/rotation kick in but you are still looking at 70 points plus to get top 4 for Utd to do that we will need a near perfect run in. There are 72 points left to play for to get to 80 we'd need to get 58 points.

Wow great maths mate. That really shows how hard it will be for us, 58 points from 72. Absolutely no chance of that unless we have a stunning turn around.

Wow great maths mate. That really shows how hard it will be for us, 58 points from 72. Absolutely no chance of that unless we have a stunning turn around.

The calculator is a wonderful tool. Haha.

If we were chasing 1 team I'd say you've got a chance because that team could collapse but we need to make up ground on 2 teams so if one team collapses there's already someone else way ahead to take advantage.

Basically we've been in this situation 3 times in 5 years now after a poor start we find ourselves way off the pace for top 3 let alone the titles and not once have we recovered to make the top 4. We got close under LVG but that was because City had a massive drop off in the final season under Pellegrini they were top at Xmas and ended up scraping into 4th on goal difference, even with it in our own hands with 2 games to go we ballsed it up by losing to West Ham.

Now in his first season the club clearly put Europa League ahead of the league but that was only because the damage was done in the league before Xmas so it made sense to focus on the Europa League route but that season was an absolute abortion of a league campaign and it's been very similar to this seasons.

There's nothing about the club that makes me think they'll sort this out second half of the season because it's not like there's a superstar player coming back to provide the inspiration.

He said today he was misquoted and he said top 4 by new year is no chance. He also alluded to the Pogba virus comments being nonsense.

He basically corrected the translation quote saying the target was to be in top 4 by end of December but having wasted points vs Palace & Southampton that wouldn't be possible so the target is now to be closer to them.

While he is correct it's crazy that in 5 years it's become acceptable for the Utd manager to state top 4 as an acceptable achievement.

If you see his comments there aren’t any problems with them.

“We are eight points from fourth [place] – I don’t think we need a miracle at all. I think we need a good run of results. I think we don't need to waste points where we shouldn't waste [them].

“We just need to not be so unlucky with the problems that we have. We need some players to perform better than they are, we need to perform better than we are as a team, but [what we need is] far from a miracle.“

Yes the team shouldn’t be aiming for fourth place but at the moment the title isn’t realistically on this season. I can’t see City dropping enough points for us to win it even if we were perfect from here our. They’d need to drop 17 points in 24 games. They dropped 14 last season. So the focus does move to finishing 4th if we like it or not.

I am definitely of a mind that Jose is trying to get sacked and the board aren't ready to sack him. For me we should just cut him loose before anymore damage is done
At this point the cost to sack him should be chump change. There's no decision to be made he just has to go. He's hated.

I think the issue is @IDFD is he started lowering expectations before the season even started everything during the summer was a negative vibe that we'd struggle to even match last season. Now while that might be true I think a bit of outward facing positivity might have lifted people a bit and if he's talking up a title challenge surely that puts pressure on the board to deliver instead it was just moan moan moan and excuse after excuse.

We all knew it was probably impossible to catch City but as Utd manager you can't throw in the towel before the fight has even started which is what the summer felt like.

What was he supposed to do? Put on a face of positivity when he knew he hadn’t been backed from above? He knew the squad wasn’t good enough. Told Woodward that and Woodward made it pretty clear in his interview post deadline day that’s true. Woodward let us down. Both need to go. Woodward first because that clown can’t appoint the next puppet.

I think he was supposed to put on a faceof positivity. If he has an issue with Woodward have that out behind closed doors but don't go public with it.

Yes I think you are supposed to put a bit of a happy face on it when things are bad keep things positive when public facing even if behind the scenes you are at war with the board over signings.

He tried to build fan/media pressure on the club to spend money they didn't want to spend but you are dealing with pretty hard nosed business men they're not going to be bullied by an employee so he ended up with egg on his face.

Woodward isn't going anywhere but he does need to pass control over to someone who knows what he's doing because this is outside of his skill set and he's failing the best thing he can do is appoint someone who knows what it takes to run the football side of a club all he then needs to do is give him a budget to work with and monitor him against it.

Yeah I don’t think Woodward should go anywhere, as a businessman generating income he is very accomplished, as a football man he’s useless. He needs to step aside and get a director of football in who knows about football. Then the DOF and Jose or whoever the next manager is can work as a team, where as now it’s like Woodward and Jose are two siblings who hate each other but have to make it work for the sake of the family.

Will he be classed as doing a good job once the profit margins decrease. Eventually our on field performance will start to take effect on our off pitch performance which is something they don’t seem to grasp and that’s all that really matters to them.

For me, the whole lot need to go, Glazers and everyone. I don't care how much they are lining their pockets from the club. I want my football club to be about the football. Everything else will follow.

Well yes you are right in that respect but we have the Glazers who clearly aren't like that at all, can you see them selling an ATM machine that just keeps giving money????

If someone offered them 4bn they probably would. But who wants to spend that sort of money on a football club when you have to imagine football is peaking and revenues will begin to decline

He's now moaning about a lack of investment and that we didn't improve in the summer. And that Spurs didn't invest but they kept their best players. So Jose did we not keep our best players? Oh wait yes we did and we added. And both players we've added you aren't playing! So stop with the excuses. They wore thin a long time ago you useless sack of nothing.

People might have a bit more time for him if he actually played the signings made under him and dropped the likes of Fellaini Valencia and Young.

People might have a bit more time for him if he actually played the signings made under him and dropped the likes of Fellaini Valencia and Young.
I think things have gone too far now haven't they. I don't see anyway back for him now. He's hated by the vast majority now.

I think things have gone too far now haven't they. I don't see anyway back for him now. He's hated by the vast majority now.

I would tend to agree. But should we go on a run of wins and started playing the midfield trio of Herrera Fred and Pogba people would soon get back on board.

I am guessing he doesn't play Fred as maybe the board signed him and not Jose. I read the other day we wanted Witzel not Fred. Jose has a history of not playing other peoples signings

He's not played much, but from what I've seen Fred hasn't really played well enough to say it's unfair he's not playing. Fellaini, although I can't bear he's at the club, has done ok and seems like one of the only players who will score.
The midfield is low on quality and has Pogba who I think is limited in certain areas of his game.

I think when you come in as a new player you deserve a it of bedding in time and while Fred hasn't looked great he equally hasn't looked terrible.

How's he going to get up to speed with the league if he doesn't play the games is my thinking on it?

From what I can see Fred played in a midfield 2 at Shaktar he's now going into a 3 so it's a different role.

Mourinho said the other day he wanted mad dogs well Fred looks like that on paper.

I hope he gets a run of games might be that he needed a few months to get himself up to speed because he was injured and rushed back for world cup so maybe it's taken him some time to recover from that. Mkhitaryan was here for like 6 months before he really got a regular run in the team.

it's two fold isn't it, we're not good enough to give someone a run of games. Although I guess he can't be worse than anyone else.

It's time to bring this all to an end.

Jardim gone, I'm going to get behind Howe. It's a risk, but English, nice attacking football and it's been a few years since failed departure from Bournmouth. I 'd certainly prefer him above Zidane, Conte etc.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back