Jose Mourinho at Tottenham Hotspur 2019/20

Sideshow Bob

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Clearly the discussions have been going on for a little while judging by the speed of the appointment. So essentially Poch has been a dead man walking for a while.

Intriguing appointment, I really wonder how Levy and Jose will work together - it’s an explosion waiting to happen in my opinion.

Think it’s a great appointment. They’ve got a side that can win things and now a proven manager.

Mourinho will love Son and Lamela but Deli Alli May as well pack his bags now.

I would take ali right now if we are continuing with playing a no 10. My best guess with jose is he will possibly give them some short term minor success but will ultimately leave them in turmoil

Great news for Spurs, he'll get them top 4 and trophy no problem.

Unlike the squad he had at united, he's got a good squad there.

On the plus side, a buyer for Matic :)

Could go very wrong very fast if he can't pull that dressing room back together quickly and if Spurs aren't going to back him 100% on his decisions which will involve buying and selling some of the existing squad.

It's all about how the players react to him and how long he can keep himself upbeat as Levy surely isn't going to open up the purse strings for Mourinho if he wouldn't do it for Poch.

On paper his record speaks for itself but the mask has slipped in recent seasons I wonder if part of the reason for him coming is to force some of these players sitting on contracts out now.

I don't see this in any way as a sure thing I think it's a huge gamble that they didn't really need to take Mourinho has been a divisive figure at every club he's managed apart from Inter & Porto where he enjoyed a monopoly on the league.

Once again he's walking into a club where the fans are split on him some are part of the cult of Mourinho others can't stand him so he's going to have to get off to a flyer.

I don't think united can be used too much in his record, the club was/is a mess and they didn't back him, in fact they undermined him.

Spurs have got themselves a great coach, and he will win something with them.

He’s won trophies everywhere he’s gone. I think we’re witnessing another Levy masterclass. But I’ve always been very high up on Mourinho and not so much with Poch.

I don't think united can be used too much in his record, the club was/is a mess and they didn't back him, in fact they undermined him.

Spurs have got themselves a great coach, and he will win something with them.

Madrid - Ended in disaster
Chelsea - Ended in disaster
Utd - Ended in disaster.

Mourinho is fine if you give him all his own way let him sign who he wants when he wants and sell who he wants when he wants the moment you don't he's toys out the pram. That's why at Inter he was so happy because he got everything he wanted from the owner at the time.

He was fine at all those clubs until someone told him no he didn't like it sulked and it ended with a dressing room being against him and off he walks with his pay off.

still won trophies at all 3 clubs, something Spurs definitley miss. Also got CL football apart from at united.

I'm not knocking his success the man gets results but it sounds like Spurs is already a battle ground between players and the board over money I'm not sure Mourinho is the sort of guy who comes in and brings everyone together.

He's very quick and deciding who's in his camp and who isn't and Spurs need to be prepared to let those who aren't in his camp go because if they don't it goes sour quickly.

You go down the Mourinho route you need to be 100% on board with it and expect a massive bill during it and at the end.

Wouldn’t be surprised if they tried to come in for McTominay.

Mourinho created that award for him and McTominay recently revealed him and Mourinho are regularly still in touch.

I can't see McTominay being desperate to move he's got himself into a great position at Utd and Spurs is still a step down for a player even considering their recent success.

I guess first job for Mourinho is finding out what the contract rebels at Spurs are actually upset about if they were p*ssed at Poch rather than the club will he be able to get Levy to sign off new deals for them or if it's all money then I guess he'll just clear the air with them and get on with things until the end of the season.

Look at the bright side he finally gets to work with Dier, Rose & Alderwiereld 3 players he apparently wanted at Utd.

Mourinho says he doesn’t need any new players at Tottenham the players are already there

Of course he's said that what else can he say needs to get the existing players on side but what happens in the summer when Eriksen, Vertonghen and Alderwiereld all leave for nothing which is what's currently about to happen, if Levy won't pay the wages they are very unlikely to sign the contracts.

Proof will be in the pudding in 12 months time if Spurs haven't back him next summer what will his mood be like.

That squad is better than the last 9 months results says it is. And maybe those players will sign now.

I doubt it unless Levy is ready to seriously up the offers these guys have never had a superstar salary and they believe that now they've played in a CL final they deserve the big pay packages and it's very hard to argue with them they're all around 30 so it's cash in time. As far as I know the only player at Spurs on anything like superstar wages is Harry Kane reported to be around the £250k figure the rest of the squad are in the £100-150k bracket I think I read that Dele Alli isn't second highest earner at the club.

Now that's a good wage but if these guys left on a free they could probably double or triple those wages Herrera reportedly got close to £300k at PSG.

It's a big job at Spurs they pretty much need an entire new defence rb, lb and cb. The attacking line up is good enough I think plenty of options Alli, Eriksen, Kane, Lamella, Moura, Son, Lo Celso. Midfield they have a lot of players but seem to be struggling to keep them fit Ndombele, Winks, Wanyama, Dier, Sissoko is a pretty decent 5 to chose from.

I'm really interested to see if he has changed we heard it at Chelsea, we heard it at Utd but it all seemed to fade quickly and can he bond with the current generation of players who maybe need a bit more love than the generation he made his name with 15 years ago. I personally don't see it happening short term I think things will improve the change of face will lift the players but it won't be long before things change.

The reports are he's keen for the Lille director of football to come in Spurs haven't replaced Paul Mitchell who left 18 months ago and Mourinho reportedly wanted Campos to come in at Utd when the talk of directors started.

I was wrong about Alli. Mourinho appears to love him. Best he’s performed in a long time and after the goal Mourinho steaming at him ‘that was all you’ and clapping like a mad man.

Still almost threw it away at the end but he’ll be happy to get off to a good start.

First away win in 10 months jumps them right up the league as that mid table group is so tight

Getting a win over a big rival as well.

You’d be disappointed if you didn’t beat West Ham at this stage, they are in free fall. But nevertheless a good start and if he can guys like Alli playing to their best again then they’ll shoot up the table. Son and Kane are absolute class so get them firing again and they’ll trouble most teams.

3 games. 3 wins. 10 goals scored. Maybe try get him if OGS doesn’t work out?

First time Tottenham have won 3 in a row since they beat Dortmund in Feb.

6 conceded though as well which will be a worry for Jose.

He's had a nice start 3 fairly easy games which on paper they should win but the fact is they just haven't been winning them recently although the record on the road is where the major problems have been recently and next up is the trip to Old Trafford.

Spurs really have nothing to fear in this one they played us off the part last season in both games and it took a miracle performance from De Gea to get us out of Wembley with that 1-0 win and the home game they ripped us to pieces.

‘For 30 minutes United were not just better than us, they were much better than us," Mourinho told his post-match press conference. "They were much better in the intensity, in the aggression, they were winning first balls, second balls, 50-50 duels.‘

Maybe he really is ‘the humble one now’

Give it time we've been here before don't fall for the act.

He was all smiles at the start with us it might last longer at Spurs as he isn't staying away from his family there's no doubt in my mind that his family not moving with him to Manchester didn't help him in times where it was tough.

I thought I saw a report he was separated? seen without his wedding ring or something. Probably just paper gossip

I thought I saw a report he was separated? seen without his wedding ring or something. Probably just paper gossip

Not sure I know his kids have grown up now so they're not at the family home anymore and while he was at Utd his father passed away, his assistant who he'd worked with for 10 years left etc.

Think he's even admitted that he fell out of love with football at Utd.

He's going to get them top 4 for sure. He's a winner and he has a great squad.

Lets see what happens in January if the contract rebels leave then things could become a problem.

That's a big win though taking 3 points away at Wolves is tough.

That is the most impressive result so far though.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back