Jose Mourinho - 3rd Season

RichH2016

So then guys... Do we feel / fear that Jose is going to suffer with his usual this season syndrome next season?

Every club he's been at he's had issues in his third year and ultimately left.

Now I actually feel like this time it's different and not because he's a changed man or anything like that. Everywhere he's been he's improved the club in year one and won the title in year two. It's then usually the slight drop off the next year that leads to issues and problems. But that isn't the case here. He's still got a lot to do and a lot to deliver if he wants to be considered a major success.

My bigger concern actually is that this year he needs to close that gap to Citeh. If he doesn't do that could we start to see the cracks appear?

The fact he's saying he's not going to replace Faria and is going to restructure his staff is a concern too. How will that play out? Its a risky strategy I think.

Third season at Porto.

Won the Champions League and League double. Left on good terms of manage a bigger club.

Third season at Inter.

He never done a third season at Inter but he left there on great terms having won the treble.

He doesn't always leave clubs on bad terms. I don't think he'll cause any problems. If we're miles off of the pace and the fans get on his back is the only way I see him leaving.

As for not replacing Faria i'm fine with that he's leaving the position open for Carrick.

There is a pattern with Mourinho which basically is after 3 years generally the whole house of cards is starting to collapse or he's already left. It's the same with Pep and a lot of top managers he's a very intense man and after a while players get sick of it.

The difference is Utd is a lot less political than clubs like Chelsea or Madrid where you have lots of interfearence from above and unlike Porto or Inter it's unlikely he will be leaving us for a bigger job any time soon because this is the last shot at the big time for him. At Utd they are happy for the manager to do what he wants and the board will back them they let Moyes get rid of the backroom staff, they let Van Gaal buy and sell whoever he wanted and Mourinho has basically been given whatever he wants and been backed.

I'd say fan opinion is what could kill Mourinho playing the way his teams play he has to win trophies because it's really tough to watch and Utd fans are growing very tired of negative football it's not what we dined out in in the 90 & 00's but if he wins the league next season no one will care. However, if City win the league by 10 points again next season, we struggle in Europe again and the team is still playing like this he could go because fans won't stand for it. I'd say when he took over the fans were 75/25 in his favour at the end of this season even winning the FA Cup I'd say that's more like 50/50.

I kind of accepted Mourinho as a necessary evil at the point I'd have binned LVG the moment he was sacked from Chelsea and got him in 6 months earlier so he could begin the clear out and just written that season off. Mourinho for me is the man to turn the ship around but I think it's the next guy who will hopefully lead us to the promised land.

There's not a clear candidate out there to be the next guy in my opinion yet so I'd stick with Jose next season but I think he's got 1 maybe 2 years max in him before he's gone.

There's always a chance of that happening with Mourinho. This summer is a big one for him and us, needs to establish a better defence and midfield and then maybe he won't be as conservative as he's been this season, I think he's been more conservative as this season has gone on than last and that's perhaps due to him losing confidence in our defence and midfield, apart from Matic, Young and Valencia, i'm not sure he's got much confidence in the others defensively, 2 in midfield has gone out the window to try and protect the back 4 better and also because he probably doesn't trust Pogba enough on defence at this point. Signings need to be good and the coaching staff is being shaken up. I hope he gets it all right, i'd rather have a manager that sticks about than changing every 2-3 years. Needs to be improvement at start of next season performance wise otherwise more fans will turn against him.

I think he wants the job long term, I think he's always wanted it, he always been really nice about united and Alex. Therefore I don't think he'll do anything sill. He'll say what he feels in the press, I don't mind that. And like the poster above (name is to long :-D ) I think our play style was more to do with personnel, at least I hope it was. I still expect us to play like that in the big games, but that's ok.

I'm all up for him staying and Carrick taking over in a few years. I'd love an ex player to manage the club.

It's hard to tell how long he sees himself being here as long as they keep paying his crazy wages he probably isn't going anywhere as his options now are more limited than they were 10 years ago.

The thing is we played slow possession football under LVG, he's had 2 seasons and he's turned us into a team who plays slow non-possession football I know he hasn't radically overhauled the squad in the way Pep has been able to do in his 2 years at City but I watch Utd and I see a team in Mourinho's image all the normal components are there. He's got 2 very strong athletic midfielders alongside his playmaker/attacking mid, he's got the big target man number 9, he's got the pace on the wings where he wants players to track back etc.

I think Utd can do Mourinho football better the defending can be improved and more experienced attacking players who are suited to his style might also help with the goals.

I've never particularly enjoyed watching a Mourinho side they are very good at what they do when they're at their best and get results but they make nearly every game quite tough to watch.

I've been disappointed by our attacking play under him, his approach hasn't been much different to his other clubs but the transition between defence and attack has been quicker than it is with us. Perhaps a coaching shake up and a key midfield signing will help. I also still think this is where more energetic full backs will improve us, not asking for much goals/assists from full back just need players that can get us from defence to attack much quicker, Evra wasn't a great crosser, he'd pick up a few assists but nothing drastic but it was the way he got us from defence to attack that made him a great left back for us.

I can't see a problem with no no2 being appointed, Jose will no doubt being in enough for the club's needs.

I think the big question is can Jose change his style enough this season? If it's more of the same the fans will clearly be right on him, if we go and show a bit of passion and look like we are trying, he will do ok. Man City are clearly in a league of their own so I think Jose, Poch and Klopp will be looking to get the gap down and at least make City work for another title.
Jose's future really does lie in his own hands.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back