Jordan Pickford‘s challenge on Virgil van Dijk

Sideshow Bob

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

With this and the Aguero incident. VAR and the officials had a shocker.

It’s ridiculous that he gets away with that given that we now have replays.

Can you remember when mourinho kicked a bottle, they used replays for that, didn't they?

Can't remember but he had some track record so not surprised if he got caught out.

Not sure if you can get retrospective punishments anymore with VAR be mad if they got a panel together to give him a ban now when the ref and VAR didn't call for a red card.

It's all a bit over the top this just because it's a big name player keepers doing stuff like this all the time and in football accidents happen it's just unlucky for Van Dijk that it's his turn this time. Pickford hasn't tried to injure him he's trying to block the ball but it's resulted in a horrible collision.

I don't think it's over the top, how can Pickford do a career wrecking tackle and stay on the pitch. Surely VAR was brought in for things like this. It doesn't matter if it was on purpose or not. He's probably out for the season minimum.

I'm not even going to mention the offside goal.

You couldn't think VAR could get worse after last season, but it has excelled itself.

I mean the stuff personally directed at Pickford is way over the top and it is a huge talking point because of who was injured if a Burnley player suffered this injury people wouldn't still be talking about it.

He should have had a red card but VAR has failed to spot the incident to me it sounds like an error they went to VAR for a penalty check not a red card check once they determined it was offside they clearly forgot to go back for a potential red card. Keepers have always been judged by different standards when it comes to dangerous play just one of those weird quirks of the rules.

As for the offside at the end it's the correct decision I just don't believe they should be using VAR to that level of detail the technology isn't mm accurate so why try and make it mm accurate surely all these offsides can be done by eye you freeze the camera at the best possible moment then do it by eye. If it's close you give the benefit to the attacker.

I don't know anything about the personal stuff. Just talking football.

He should have gone and it's another huge VAR error.

As for the goal, if they see what MoTD showed, I don't think they can give that as offside.

Great for the league though, throws it wide open. United could be right up there with their game in hand.

I don't think it's over the top, how can Pickford do a career wrecking tackle and stay on the pitch. Surely VAR was brought in for things like this. It doesn't matter if it was on purpose or not. He's probably out for the season minimum.

I'm not even going to mention the offside goal.

You couldn't think VAR could get worse after last season, but it has excelled itself.

The reaction has been massively over the top. Petitions to parliament to have him banned for as long as Van Dijk is injured. A silent protest outside Anfield being organised. Van Dijk will have caused a few injuries in his time.

Not even sure of any of the uproar to be honest. Keepers have always been treated differently to outfield players.

As for the offside I called it immediately when watching the game that he'd be called offside on first watch so I wasn't surprised at all. It's tight but it's off. Can't moan at the correct decisions being made. Though I'd be fuming if it was against us. As I've said previously change the rule so you need any part of your body on.

VAR just doesn't make sense, on one hand players are being penalised for millimetres while other players are getting off with things that are just unacceptable in the same game week.

As for overreaction to Pickford, it's the scousers, what would you expect.

Wrong is wrong.
  • Dangerous challenges are wrong
  • Grabbing officials is wrong
If VAR and Refereeing can't solve that, then what's the point.

Is it all just pot luck; based on who you are, who you play for, and if you think you can get away with it.

If they are going to judge things on fine margins, then judge all thing on fine margins, if not then stop.

VAR is still going to make mistakes the idea is they just make less of them if the human using the technology makes an error then the computer won't correct it.

Pickford getting away with it was human error I didn't see it live but for whatever reason the VAR did not think to highlight the tackle as a potential red card situation he was focused purely on was it or wasn't it a penalty. My guess is after checking the offside which took ages to say is it a pen or not once that came back as offside it's almost like they forgot to go ahead and check a red card it was review over no penalty to Liverpool.

My guess is the VAR official will be in hot water with his bosses over how that played out and he's probably thinking how the hell have I missed that when he sees it back.

As for the offsides they are what they are I personally don't agree with how they're doing it but it's applied consistently but since the technology isn't perfectly accurate I don't think they should use it to try and be perfectly accurate.

The only part of the body that should be judged “offside” is the foot.
Not a player’s elbow, forehead, nose, knee, fingers, backside...
...just the foot.
And what l wouldn’t mind seeing (but won’t happen) is the lead foot allowed to be offside. All of it or part of it...doesn’t matter.
So long as the other foot is completely onside.
Millimetres and centimetres, and 4 minute delays are killing the game.
And, even more important, the referee has to make the final decision.
VAR stands for video ASSISTANT referee.
Assist you idiots...only assist.

The only part of the body that should be judged “offside” is the foot.
Not a player’s elbow, forehead, nose, knee, fingers, backside...
...just the foot.
I have been saying exactly that for as long as I can remember.

Well the ref doesn’t need to get involved in an offside call that was always the job of the assistant so it should be checked by replay but it should be done by eye not by technology.

I personally would bin the whole system just accept refs get things wrong and get on with the game adds another element of drama to the result problem with that is it favours the players who want to cheat and fake contact to deceive refs.

Fact remains one guy or girl watching a monitor can still get it wrong but there’s less chance of getting it wrong, if we use VAR then players know not to cheat because they will get caught on the review.

Pickford should have gotten a straight red, three match ban. The people at the VAR controls should be fired. Offside is when any part of your body that you could score with has strayed, so a hand or arm can be beyond the defender. I think the standard needs adjusting back to when it was "daylight" between the two players. We have this idea of "playing distance" to the ball when players are shielding it, so that should apply to the offside law.

Yeah he arm can be offside but the shoulder can't as the shoulder can be used to play the ball.

However just make it easier and go back to clear daylight (that was never actually a rule) as said above.

Also for lack of confusion. VAR did check for a red card for Pickford and decided it didn't warrant one.

Serious foul play couldn't be used because the ball was dead so after that all they could use is violent conduct and they decided it didn't warrant that.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back