Jonny Evans | Match Performance Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Jonny Evans

i think he was solid last year, he and Vidic though don't seem to play well together, he does better with Rio, seems to complement him better.
but yeah bad start to the season so far, but a future United player for sure, i think he's better than Shawcross.

g@mb!t said:
i think he was solid last year, he and Vidic though don't seem to play well together, he does better with Rio, seems to complement him better.
but yeah bad start to the season so far, but a future United player for sure, i think he's better than Shawcross.

I agree that he & Vidic don't seem to gel but Smalling looks comfortable with Vida & Evans with Rio. I don't agree with him being better than Shawcross because Evans can't score. Come to think of it, I don't think he's ever scored 4 United. He's a definite keeper but not a guaranteed start, IMHO. He was decent last season but he & O'Shea tend to get sloppy deep in the game. I hope to see more of Smalling this season to see if he'll more of a scoring threat. I was impressed with him during preseason.

Evans is a lot better next to Rio. Personally, Jonny played well for 90 mins on Saturday, I think everyone switched off after 90 mins not just Jonny and Jonny as a youngster has been chosen as the scapegoat.

Agreed that Evra form may be due to the WC fiasco. I bet he deeply regrets that whole situation but he made the decision so he needs to man up & perform for the club that pays him.

I agree that Evans is taking alot of slack for a team failure. I like him and he'll be a reliable defender 4 us in the long run but he's not there yet.

He's a lot more comfortable with someone calm like Rio next to him. I think Vida is the same too.

I think its safe to say Vida and Evans are similar players, and Rio and Smalling are similar players. Evans will come good, just needs to be assertive on the pitch like Vida, can be a monster then!

Can't comment on his performance today as I missed the game unfortunately. From what I heard before it went to 2-2 though, he had a very good game. Hasn't got the experience or the calmness Rio and Vida have yet, lucky we won really.

he was really good in the first half, but in the second half looked shaky, mistimed tackle on Torres for the Penalty

Seems as if he panics too much when under pressure, if you watch Rio, he is one of the most calm and composed defenders around. Might be an experience thing. I think Jonny is a really good defender and will improve but at the moment we can't rely on him week in week out. Having Rio back will be a bonus, lets hope he can stay fit and injury free.

Evans just needs to work on his positioning i think, only reason he got caught out by Torres in the first place, doesn't he seem to be beaten in the air rather easily sometimes??

Evans to fight for place: http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_7034374,00.html

With the departures of Nev, Wes and O'Shea, hopefully Evans can step up a gear and play a bigger part for us. Although, with the arrival of Jones and improvements of Smalling, Evans may be down the pecking order, injuries are bound to happy and given his versatility he should get a chance to shine.

I think Evans will get a decent run of games this season Doddy.

If we get injuries, suspensions etc...he could even nail down a place, even at full-back.

It'd be nice if he stays injury free all season, thought he did very well in the 2nd half of the season. CB's take longer to develop, I think people expect too much from him at the moment.

Made some fantastic runs i thought he wasnt going to stop at one time.

Again, great performance, competition has probably helped him, interceptions, tackling, passing, forward runs, clearances. He was on top form today, long may it continue.

Hopefully over his second season dip now, hope he can have a good run in the team. The master of the crunching tackle, he is Vidic's natural successor and the bane of Didier Drogba. Never thought he would be sold, especially when Smalling looks the part in RB.

A terrific performance from Evans,once again showing that last season's por form was temporary.He will come good again this season no question about it.dealt with everything that was thrown at him by City.made a few good blocks and interceptions in the second half to prevent City from making any chances.

Phil Jones will get most of the plaudits but Evans was fantastic.

He's the player who impresses me most in this early season. Especially considering the poor performances and criticism in last season. Nothing like a day after another.

Just watched the game. Evans was outstanding, great to see him back to his best, hopefully he can keep improving now. Took his chance well with Rio and Vida out of the team.

Evans has re-discovered the type of form which he had at Stamford Bridge against Chelsea a while back, when he outplayed Drogba.

He did show signs at the back end of last season starting with the FA Cup game in January against Liverpool. The Chelsea home game where he came on at LB was very impressive.

Good to see him rising to the challenge, it's precisely the sort of attitude you need to succeed at United.

Has had an excellent start to the season so far, though Jones has been getting all the plaudits for the performance at the back, Evans has been quietly doing his job too.slowly getting back to the form he was in 2 seasons ago.

Was comfortable at the back today again, hope his injury isn't a bad one. Looked more of a precaution though...

Comfortable performance so much for him getting "bullied" by Davies

Was surprised how well he dealt with Davies, almost a flawless performance from him alongside Rio. Don't think he'll play midweek, i'm intrigued to see who'll play at CB against Chelsea. Who among Jones, Smalling and Evans will he drop from the starting XI!

Well I think Smalling will play midweek after not playing yesterday, so I think it'll be the same defence against Chelsea assuming Evans' injury isn't too serious.

Was very impressed with him yesterday. Made some great blocks and gave Davies as good as he got.

Bolton didn't get much chance to attack aerially, and the few times they did, Evans and Rio were easily beating Davies in the air.

Evans was turned too easily for Benfica's goal but apart from that he did ok.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back