Jesse Lingard joined Manchester United in 2009. During the 2010/11 season Lingard made more appearances (27 starts, 3 sub and netting 7 goals in the process) than any other player for the U18s.

Lingard hopes for call-up - Official Manchester United Website

Jesse Lingard is hoping to be involved in the Carling Cup squad for the tie with Crystal Palace at Old Trafford.

The young winger has been in excellent form for Warren Joyce's Reserves and is keen to follow in the footsteps of pals Ezekiel Fryers, Larnell Cole, Ravel Morrison, Paul Pogba, Michael Keane and Marnick Vermijl by being named in the matchday party in the competition this term.

"Hopefully, I can be involved against Palace," he told ManUtd.com. "I've been training a lot with the first-team now and just hope I can keep training with them.

"I've enjoyed the training a lot and you shouldn't be surprised by it. You've just got to carry on playing your normal game. I've got to keep working hard, keep the manager thinking about me and, hopefully I'll be involved in the Palace game."

The 18-year-old was outstanding in the recent Reserves' victory over Everton and also performed well in the success at Bolton in his last outing. After recovering from an injury picked up against Bury earlier in the campaign, he is currently firing on all cylinders.

"I'd hurt my medial ligament and part of my ankle," he explained. "It was a five-week rehabilitation programme and I was on the bench for the next game after the injury. But I've come on nicely with it and am playing well now. I just had to keep my chin up, keeping playing and doing well now I'm over the injury."

How that Berahino can start for England's under 19's and Lingard not even be considered for the squad displays the mindset of coaches in England. For all his pace and power, Berahino can't control the ball. It was the same when they picked Connor Whickham for squads. What's the point of having the biggest strongest guys trying to out-muscle smaller opponents at underage level, when it counts for pittance at first team level. Lingard has more chance of making it than most of those players starting for England today. (I'm presuming Cole wasn't included due to his end of season injury, if not then that's shocking)

I'm sick of saying it but it's the same problem in Ireland. Playing underage football in Ireland, and probably in Britain too, you get morons roaring the heads off 7 or 8 year olds. There's a fear of losing the ball which leads to direct football being played and in turn bigger lumps being picked. The number of times I've heard managers roar 'just hoof it' or something along those lines at underage level, it's no wonder our national sides can't string two passes together at first team level. England's manager today actually said to one of the guys coming on as a sub 'Don't do anything stupid'..... Need I say any more.

Lingard and Cole represent the contrary to this way of 'coaching' and I really hope they make the cut.

Tunnicliffe was too old by a day or 2! There was a very talented list of U19s who would have been eligible that weren't at the Euros in the other thread. Not sure if winning these tournaments is a priority for England, it seems they just use the tournaments as experience for players who need it.

Tonight's big positive. Confident, involved and linked well with Scholes, Carrick and Berbatov.

Man of the match for me. Didn't shy away, demanded possession, he was everywhere. Would like to see him go out on loan at some point and possibly join the first team next season.

Thought Lingard did very well. Needs to go out on loan for a season so his development doesn't stall, proved he has first team potential.

Seems to be firmly in Fergie's plans. Is there a possibility he'll be involved with the first team this season?

Not sure, could do, very impressive in pre season so far, been working very hard over the past 2 seasons, and has gone to training camps in the US during the last 2 summers, seems very determined to make it and I hope he does.

Jesse Lingard: Hard work pays off - Official Manchester United Website

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Another impressive display by Lingard, he looked lively, creative and a threat. I was initially unsure about him staying at the club rather than a loan move, but he could feature in a handful of cameos. Is this enough game time to aid his development? The new (and hopefully higher standard) U21 league maybe a factor in him staying. I can see him pushing for a regular spot on the subs bench. I think Young receives unfair criticism at times, but if he continues his Euro 2012 form Lingard could be a threat to his position in the match day squad. Am I being too optimistic?

I think you probably are being optimistic about that but certainly could play a part off the bench like Pogba did last season. Suits the style of play it seems we're looking to play. Very good on the ball, can play in a few positions, 2 footed, determined, hard working, intelligent. Big fan of him and definitely deserves chances. I'd place a bet on him taking that chance when he gets it. Very impressive on tour alongside Scholes and Carrick, certainly didn't look out of his depth, always looking and demanding the ball.

What have you made of Lingard's season so far? Where do you see him this time next year?

Think he's got a good chance of making it. Disappointing he didn't play more for Leicester, maybe next season.

Whenever I've watched he's been one of our best performers. Feel he's still a bit too slight to make the step up just yet, the Championship is probably a more physical league than the Premier League which is why I feel he didn't get much game time at Leicester. Think he still has a chance of making it here if he continues to improve the rate he has done over the past two seasons.

Glad he's been selected for the tour. Thought he's been very consistent all season and deserves a chance.

Fully deserved. Michael Keane, Tom Thorpe and Sam Johnstone also in the squad. 2011 FAYC winning squad progressing nicely. Would have had 5 players from that FAYC squad in the U21s had Ravel stuck around. Probably 6 if Will Keane hadn't been injured.

Scored 4 and assisted 2 from 4 appearances in U21s. Needs to be out playing Championship or higher as do a lot of these U21s. This level is too easy for them now. Some of them are getting on now too. Tom Thorpe is 21 today, still hasn't played a competitive club game. Classy defender.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back