Jesse Lingard | Match Discussion thread 2017/18

Status
Not open for further replies.
His the definition of the saying 'if at first you don't succeed, try try again'. I was moaning about him for 85 mins then he does that Giggs style goal and i was stunned. I dont rate him at all, but he works hard both on and off the ball and because of that his keeping more technically gifted players on the bench or even out of the squad. So fair play to him.

He's one of life's triers but everything about him just isn't quite good enough to be a Utd player he's not quite quick enough, not quite strong enough, not quite skilful enough, not quite clinical enough and at 24 or whatever he is now unless these things all improve very quickly he will only ever be a squad player BUT even Utd need guys like Lingard who can come in for games and do a job for the team to rest the starters.

To be honest based on performances this season he's looked the best as the number 10 behind the two strikers neither Mhiki or Mata have really performed in that role and Lingard has had some good games there you just wish he'd be that bit more clinical so he could put chances like the one in first half on the rebound away. All his goals seem to be worldies if only he could add a few tap ins he'd double his numbers.

I agree that he’s definitely looked at his best when he’s in the number ten role. I thought he did okay last night but his goal was sublime, when I saw him running with the ball I thought he’s just running down a blind alley here but low and behold pulled it off. He’s good to have as a squad player, he’s not everyone’s cup of tea but he can do very good things and while he is 24, he still has time to improve.

I’m not trying to detract from the goal or anything but I think Gomes was very poor for both his and Martial’s goal.

He's scored some brilliant goals for us and is capable of brilliant things but he doesn't do them often enough, need's to be more consistent, obviously that's difficult when you're only a bit part player though.

I really like him, he's United, he's upbeat, he gets the other players going, and he really does not give up. The 'stats-nerds' are all talking about United's squad being what won championships in the past! So he's doing something right.

Always hope for legendary careers ala class of 92. Be a consistent impact player.

I really like him, he's United, he's upbeat, he gets the other players going, and he really does not give up. The 'stats-nerds' are all talking about United's squad being what won championships in the past! So he's doing something right.
I do like him too, there are times when he can make you tear your hair out but that could be said for most players. The stick he gets when some fans see him in our line up is laughable, he may not be world class but he’s a good squad player to have who is capable of stunning goals. Park, O’Shea, Fletcher, Phil Neville etc weren’t world class but they were integral to our successful sides as squad players.

I do like him too, there are times when he can make you tear your hair out but that could be said for most players. The stick he gets when some fans see him in our line up is laughable, he may not be world class but he’s a good squad player to have who is capable of stunning goals. Park, O’Shea, Fletcher, Phil Neville etc weren’t world class but they were integral to our successful sides as squad players.
Yes that's what the likes of StatsBomb, Michael Cox and Michael Caley I think it was all talking midweek!

I think it's simple the bigger names ahead of him should be playing well enough to keep him out of the team as they're better players, currently they're not doing that so Lingard is stepping in and while he's a bit his and miss he's doing his job.

I think it's simple the bigger names ahead of him should be playing well enough to keep him out of the team as they're better players, currently they're not doing that so Lingard is stepping in and while he's a bit his and miss he's doing his job.

Premier League: Arsenal v Manchester United - 2nd December 2017

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Quality again tonight in that position in behind 2 strikers he’s finally found a spot in the team that suits him, it might just be a run of good form but he’s playing brilliantly at the moment and when the game is open like that he’s a dangerous player.

Think he’s definitely found his spot in the side, in a 3-5-2 he’s our best bet at number 10. He’s done more in there than Mkhitaryan and Mata so far this season. Been really impressed with him the last two games and on the counter he can be deadly with Martial and Lukaku.

Mata did very well tonight but thought for 60 mins we missed Lingard there with his ability to initiate counter attacks, beat defenders and hassle defenders. There were a few times when a counter was on and the ball gets to Mata and he tries running forward and knows he can't back himself so turns back and plays a pass backwards. There were also a few occasions where he was just not quick enough to keep up with Shaw, Lukaku, Rashford and Valencia and was needed on the edge of the box instead he was 20 yards back. Just such a shame he's not got just a bit more pace, Lingard's not got great pace but can beat players.

Premier League: West Bromwich Albion v Manchester United - 17th December 2017

Having another reallly good game seems to thrive in that central role when we play on the counter especially away from home.

Premier League: Manchester United 2-2 Burnley - 26th December 2017

Can only assume he didn’t start as part of squad rotation with the heavy schedule over Xmas but right now this guy is our best player so he should be starting every game.

It probably won’t last but ride the wave while it does he should be a nailed on starter for the next few weeks at least.

Premier League: Everton 0-2 Manchester United - 1st January 2018

Another great goal, the lad is in the form of his life right now.

Personally didn’t think he was good enough but he’s hit form and is a nailed on starter right now it might not last forever but I hope he keeps going like this.

The lad has well and truly shut up all
Of the haters from the start of the season. Local lad does good. Love his performances.

One of the most in form players in the league right now, if the World Cup started tomorrow I think he would have to be a starter at number 10.

He’s having a brilliant run of form and it’s great to see him adding goals to his game. His strike today was class.

Won't lie, never rated him and always thought he was simply there due to being a local lad but jesus wept Jesse Messi, you have shut me and thousands of others up haha good lad keep it going!

I just hope this is him stepping up a level not just a run of good form.

Interesting how narrow we are there, no ball out right for him.

I've always been a fan of Jesse, glad he's coming good for me :)

He’s always been capable of scoring some terrific goals but perhaps he was guilty of not getting into good positions to get the easier goals. Think that’s changed now and his movement has improved dramatically.

#betterthanalli

He’s always been capable of scoring some terrific goals but perhaps he was guilty of not getting into good positions to get the easier goals. Think that’s changed now and his movement has improved dramatically.

#betterthanalli

Think the role has changed which helps him he’s not a wide player being more central he can provide those runs through the centre of the pitch that hurt teams this isn’t a fluke it’s happened 3 or 4 times now.

The only issue for him now is if Utd play 4-3-3 that number 10 spot he thrives in doesn’t exist but with a front 3 that interchange he can still go central but in big games against better sides there will be much more defensive responsibility.

He’s giving himself a great chance of getting to the World Cup and will be interesting to see if Alli’s Dip in form carries on could he get his starting spot? Going to be very tough even if Alli has been poor in an England shirt for almost 2 years now.

I've always rated him so it's no surprise for me, I always thought he was capable of being a Park Ji Sung type of player that had more footballing ability. I think he's suffered for playing on the right in recent seasons, he's not a winger, he played there for the youth and reserves because Ravel was there, and he never really played on the right either, he played on the left. It's come as no surprise that he's doing better now he's playing more centrally and as per yesterday cutting in from the left.

Long term, he shouldn't be a regular starter but he's proving right now that he's more than capable of filling the role of that top class starter when that player needs a rest.

I've shot JL down on many an occasion and rightly so as he disappeared a lot in games. Now he is playing well he is commanding a starting berth and rightly so. He's on a different level to Miki at the minute. Until his levels slip I'm more than happy him having a role in the first XI. Fair play to him.

Well on course to be England fans' scapegoat at the World Cup too... and then come back and win the treble with us.

Well on course to be England fans' scapegoat at the World Cup too... and then come back and win the treble with us.

Yep can’t wait to see how Lingard & Rashford muff up the World Cup.

Can’t help but feel it might be Sterling who carries the can this time but you know Lingard is also a rich, young, black kid so he’s primed for the Sun scapegoat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back