FA Cup 0
League Cup 0
Europa League 0

Previous Seasons
Jesse Lingard | Match Discussion thread 2015/16
Jesse Lingard | Match Discussion thread 2014/15
Jesse Lingard | Match Discussion thread 2013/14

Friendly: Wigan Athletic 0-2 Manchester United - 16th July 2016

I thought he looked lively. He and Mkhitaryan linked well at times.

Mourinho seemed to be giving him lots of instructions, he's the sort of player I think Mourinho will like for the big games where he might want a worker, a Park Ji Sung. Gives the team more balance, allows others to play better.

Mourinho seemed to be giving him lots of instructions, he's the sort of player I think Mourinho will like for the big games where he might want a worker, a Park Ji Sung. Gives the team more balance, allows others to play better.

I definitely think Lingard plays a key part in the squad this season. Like you say he's a kind of player that Jose likes. He puts in a shift, he has a good balance of attacking and defending and he has the ability to win a game from time to time. If he's happy to accept a squad role at first then who knows this season. Maybe over time Mkhitaryan moves centrally located, Rooney drops out and Lingard plays on the right?

He also gets what the club is about and is decent enough to be a squad player.

I actually really like Lingard as a player, he does get a tough time from some dimwit United fans who think everyone should be a Ronaldo or Messi. He has to improve his finishing because if it was more on point last season I think he could of got 6-7 more goals. I would be quite happy with him in a starting role and like others have said above, he is someone Jose will appreciate I think. Always good to have homegrown talent and to be honest I would have liked to see him in the England squad for the Euro's.

I actually really like Lingard as a player, he does get a tough time from some dimwit United fans who think everyone should be a Ronaldo or Messi. He has to improve his finishing because if it was more on point last season I think he could of got 6-7 more goals. I would be quite happy with him in a starting role and like others have said above, he is someone Jose will appreciate I think. Always good to have homegrown talent and to be honest I would have liked to see him in the England squad for the Euro's.

I like Lingard but certainly in a squad role and not as a starter. He's a good player who can provide balance and discipline to the team but for me he doesn't offer enough to be truly first team. Not if we have ambitions to get back on top in England and Europe. He's going to play an important role and that's great because he's an academy boy but he's not got quite enough to truly be a top class player.

Community Shield: Leicester City 1-2 Manchester United - 7th August 2016

Top goal.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

It certainly was interesting to me that he got the nod today ahead of Mkhitaryan. What was that all about?! Took his goal really well though and I thought he played fairly well. One of the better performers on the day.

I thought he'd be a favourite for Mourinho back in May and certainly seems like that's the case. He's a Mourinho type player because of his work rate and tactical intelligence, he's good at following instructions. Was sat just behind Mourinho's technical area on Wednesday and he didn't stop talking to him and giving instructions, guiding him on when to press and where to run. Like Park, he'll be a man for the big games, playing anywhere in that 3 behind the striker depending on where the opposition threat is.

I thought he'd be a favourite for Mourinho back in May and certainly seems like that's the case. He's a Mourinho type player because of his work rate and tactical intelligence, he's good at following instructions. Was sat just behind Mourinho's technical area on Wednesday and he didn't stop talking to him and giving instructions, guiding him on when to press and where to run. Like Park, he'll be a man for the big games, playing anywhere in that 3 behind the striker depending on where the opposition threat is.

Yeah completely agree with you about him being used in the big games. He's the kind of player Jose loves because he puts the team first but also still brings something to the attacking game.

Premier League: Manchester United 1-2 Manchester City - 10th September 2016

I can understand the reason why he started, but it was the wrong call for a game of this magnitude considering his lack of game time.

I thought changing both the flank players was the wrong decision. I sort of get lingard playing even though it turned out to be wrong but I can't get micky playing in this one.

It seemed odd to play Lingard on that left side rather than Martial.

Looking at the game you'd think Rashford or Martial would have made more sense to make Sterling thing about helping his full back. By picking Lingard on the left you basically wanted to double up on Sterling rather than getting him to think about going the other way. And in the second half when Rashford came on you could see the space down that flank because Sterling and then Sane didn't want to go the other way.

I get why he picked Lingard, he sees him as the man for the big games to do a job... But I'd have played him on the right.

World Cup 2018 Qualifier: England 2-0 Malta - 8th October 2016

Europa League: Manchester United 4-0 fenerbahce - 20th October 2016

Europa League: Manchester United 4-0 Feyenoord - 24th November 2016

Any ideas how many passes in the build up? Doesn't seem as many watching it back as it did when watching live, still a fair few though.

Still what a goal... And that's what we should be doing a lot more. Lots of quick one and two touch passes. We've got the players in attack to be doing that yet it's always so static.

Premier League: West Bromwich Albion 0-2 Manchester United - 17th December 2016

Superb cross for the first goal. His movement is his biggest asset, it's excellent.

Great cross and a very good performance, worked tirelessly on and off the ball in defence and attack. Only criticism i'd have is he should have done better with chance he had just before half time to make it 2-0, wasn't an easy chance by any means but expect a United player to do better there. He's still young though and hopefully he can add more goals to his game as he nears his peak years where he will be more consistent in his performances. Other than that, very good.

League Cup Final: Manchester United 3-2 Southampton - 26th February 2017

Well placed finish.

Yet another Wembley goal for our Jesse. Still gets far too much flak, bloody delighted for him.

Lingard is the ultimate Jose squad player and he's starting to become the man for the big occasions. I get that he's not the most talented player but he never let's the team down when he does play and that's so key to Jose. Bottom line he can trust him.

Premier League: Middlesbrough 1-3 Manchester United - 19th March 2017

Some strike.

Great goal and performance. Keeping the doubters quiet recently.

Premier League: Manchester United 0-0 West Bromwich Albion - 1st April 2017

Thought he was the only attacker to come out of the game on a positive note. Said everything about the other 3 when he put the ball across the 6 yard box and his team mates were stood ball watching on the 18 yard line instead of making runs, was almost as if they forgot Ibrahimovic wasn't playing and expected him to be there and that seemed to continue for the whole game. Our game is tailored to rely on Zlatan and we didn't look like we knew what to do without him today or in the other 2 games.

I dunno I thought we ripped through Boro in that league game with speed and movement problem is when you've got a team setup as defensively as West Brom do basically with 4 CB's playing deep and narrow it's hard to break through as they're super disciplined when it comes to shape and they force you wide so you chuck in crosses which favour their defenders. What you really need is quick movement one twos to play around them and cut backs along the ground think City smashed them earlier in the season doing this if you fall into their trap of just slinging in hopeful crosses you probably won't score unless you can drop one perfectly on to Fellaini's head.

He was excellant away to Boro maybe that game suits him a bit better as he could pick the ball up deep and dribble forward these games it's much harder for him as physically he's going to be out muscled by a WBA defender and maybe he doesn't quite have the level of skill required to beat them on the floor.

It'll be an interesting summer for Lingard he's 24 now so there's a big decision to be made for him

Premier League: Manchester United 1-1 Swansea City - 30th April 2017

He was poor.

He was poor. In truth i see him as a good squad player but I dont think he is a regular first team starter.

Europa League: Manchester United 1-1 Celta Vigo - 11th May 2017

I like Lingard, but he's been fairly ineffective for a while.

He had a good spell but since the Chelsea game his form has been bad.

Thing is Martial & Rooney not in good enough form to take his spot.

With Mata fit will he be the one to step up and grab the shirt off Lingard?

Mata has to start final having won it and other finals before, need his experience and quality in the final.

Not sure we can play Mhiki & Mata as our wide guys. Could they introduce Martial into that and put 3 M's behind Rashford?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back