Status
Not open for further replies.
His ability to cover a number of positions, his work rate and defensive contribution make him a perfect squad player.

His ability to cover a number of positions, his work rate and defensive contribution make him a perfect squad player.

Absolutely whole heartedly agree. He's the kind of player every squad needs. Plus with his pace and direct play he can change games from the bench.

Chelsea 1-1 Manchester United - 7th February 2016

Great goal.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Again quiet long parts of the game but that was a fantastic finish. Deserves his place right know like Young did. Agree that both are good to have in a squad but that we need better for the starting 11.

End of the day, he's doing something others haven't been doing, scoring goals. The rest of his game will come and goalscoring can improve further. Seems to be a common thought that once players get older than 21, they can't improve anymore, it's not right.

He's been really positive all season and since he was brought in to the side he's added that pace and direct approach.

LVG definitely likes him because one he continues to pick him even over Memphis. But also Lingard looked set for a big role last season before suffering a nasty injury on the opening day of the season.

The big question will be... Does the next manager coming in rate him as much? Time will tell on that.

FC Midtjylland 2-1 Manchester United - 18th February 2016

You never know what you'll get with his shooting.

Is it a given then that a new manager is coming in the summer?

I really flipping hope so!!! There's no way the board can continue with this absolute loser. So yeah I think it's a given that we will have a new manager... Well at least I'm just praying.

Shrewsbury 0-3 Manchester United - 22nd February 2016

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Really good goal that! Great counter, great pass by Herrera and lovely run and finish. From back to front that was a great team goal.

Lingard should have had another a while later but fluffed his chances. But a much more positive display by the lads! Moved the ball better at times and did the job they needed to do.

Don't see a lot of anything else but can score goals. Follows tactical instruction and does his defensive work. Perfect for a squad role. The sort of player we can bring in when others need a rest or in big games when we need someone to do a job on an opposing player.

Manchester United 5-1 FC Midtjylland - 25th February 2016

On a slow mo replay on my box he definitely got a nick on his boot, it should have been a pen.

It looked 50/50 to me. We've seen them given but I've seen them not too. But hey the referee gave us two in the end so I'll let him off! ;)

It looked a penalty. The defenders immediate reaction gave it away. He deffo had a nick. Apart from that his performance I felt was okay. Nothing great but did nothing wrong as well.

Think that's becoming a bit of a theme for Lingard isn't it? Does OK, might grab you a goal but nothing special...

But hey that's the kind of squad player you need to go far in all competitions. A player who will come in, put in a solid performance and not let the team down. Whether he's happy to accept that role of course is another matter.

Manchester United 2-1 Arsenal - 28th February 2016

Good cross for Rashford's second goal.

His inclusion in the team has coincided with more fluidity in our attack. Again didn't do a lot but involved in another goal, does what's asked of him defensively too.

Was good but not excellent. Puts in a shift. That's more than we can ask for.

West Bromwich Albion 1-0 Manchester United - 6th March 2016

One of, if not the best performance of the season. He looked a threat on the left.

But but but... Why is he playing on the left?! Lingard should be on the right, Rashford in the middle and Martial out wide. That's how they should start but given license to move about because they are all capable. It's silly to limit players with such ability but it's also stupid to not play our best player in his best position.

Switching the three players after the red card was the right call. Martial has more presence and can hold up the ball/link play better than Rashford.

Left wing is arguably Lingard's best position.

Lingard has for as long as i've been watching him (5years or so) been playing on the left, it's only because Memphis and then Martial were preferred on the left that he's been playing on the right. Lingard can play anywhere in that 3 behind the striker, it's not that important where he plays. His position is pretty much determined by others who are starting, if we had a better right winger, he'd start on the left if he was to start at all.

As SB says, having lost Mata and gone down to 10 men, we needed someone who could hold the ball up and compete physically against the defenders, Martial was our best option in that respect.

See I'm not sure I agree... Whenever I've seen Martial play up front he's not been involved enough. He doesn't do enough to hold up the ball or to make those runs to stretch teams. I know he's got it in him but I've not seen it yet.

Manchester United 1-1 Liverpool - 17th March 2016

I thought he was fairly decent at 10, especially in the second half. He provided drive through central areas. One of his better performances.

West Ham 1-1 Manchester United - 13th April 2016

His best performance in a United shirt?

Yeah. I would agree that this was his best performance was very decisive in attack. Running at players with the ball at his feet. Doing his defensive duty well.

Everton 1-2 Manchester United - 23rd April 2016

If only he was more clinical he would be a very good player indeed.

He had some very good moments in the game. He was getting into very good areas and his understanding with rashford is very good and only going to get better

Yeah he did play very well and linked up with the attacking players really nicely. I would like to see him kept at the club this summer but he'd have to accept more of a squad role I think.

Yeah he did play very well and linked up with the attacking players really nicely. I would like to see him kept at the club this summer but he'd have to accept more of a squad role I think.

Why a squad role? On present form he is a better option than Mata on the right. If we do not strengthen in his role then he would be first choice for me.

Why a squad role? On present form he is a better option than Mata on the right. If we do not strengthen in his role then he would be first choice for me.

That's my point though mate... We need to strengthen. So yeah if we don't then I agree he's a better option on the right than Mata. But if we don't strengthen then get ready for another season where top 4 is a struggle. He's a good squad player but he's far far from being a top top player who will push us back to where the club wants to be.

His finishing does need to be a bit more clinical, however he has to be given lots of credit for creating the openings in the first place and getting into positions to score. The hope would be after more and more games the chances will be converted.

The link up play of Rashford, Lingard and Martial is a joy to watch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back