Jadon Sancho

Status
Not open for further replies.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I don't think he is a joker because of Sancho, it's a lot of money.

But resorting to Cavani, letting Spurs get the best LB in the Spanish league, and not shifting players is inforgivable....again. It's Groundhog day, deadline day desperation.

We couldn’t go near Regullion with a buy back clause. Cavani is a good signing.

If they signed Cavani a month ago people would be fine with it but doing it on deadline day makes it look desperate.

Could be as simple as a month ago Cavani still thought he could get the PSG wages now he's realised he can't and clubs like Utd are now interested.

The window has been a mess the club clearly didn't plan it well and they've not dictated the narrative around it they made everyone think we had loads of money to spend when we clearly don't.

I don't believe it is a good signing. It's a desperate signing.

Another shower of a transfer window, and it's a repeat, give the new manager a good window, screw him the next summer.

I cannot understand our scouting dept can only come up with a 33 year old free transfer no one else is interested in. I pray to god it won't be as bad as Falcao

Well I'm sure the scouting department comes up with a very long list but it's pretty clear the club is skint so they've got to try and find a bargain and Cavani could be that option for a short term fix.

Our first choice striker is 23 so having an experienced guy as competition who offers more of a physical presence is surely a good thing. Look at Giroud's value to Chelsea at the end of last season.

I'm not thrilled about the signing but I'm also not going to lose my head over it either he's a much better option off the bench than Ighalo so for me that's progress.

I am far from convinced they are skint. Apart from anything else they seem to have offered 91m for Sancho.

we dont know he'll be better than Ighalo, but he better be :D

Cavani was talking to Benfica and Atletico but they refused to sanction the money - wages, agent fee's etc

Who better than United to suit his needs then hey, I'm sure he will be an upgrade on Ighalo, but like jsp mentioned this just feels a bit last minute and a bit desperate.

I am far from convinced they are skint. Apart from anything else they seem to have offered 91m for Sancho.

Something that has been denied by some reporters close to the club but who knows.

My guess is Utd are playing it safe this summer because of Covid they aren't bank rolled by owners every penny counts and any cash they do have I think they'll sit on because they don't think fans will be back this season. No fans means TV refunds and less sponsorship interest and I'll happily be proved wrong but once they realised no one wanted to buy any of our current players any deal for Sancho was dead.

Something that has been denied by some reporters close to the club but who knows.

My guess is Utd are playing it safe this summer because of Covid they aren't bank rolled by owners every penny counts and any cash they do have I think they'll sit on because they don't think fans will be back this season. No fans means TV refunds and less sponsorship interest and I'll happily be proved wrong but once they realised no one wanted to buy any of our current players any deal for Sancho was dead.
We may well be playing it safe but it is a really bad thing to do, at least from a football point of view, which clearly is not the priority, given that everybody else around us is not playing it safe.

We may well be playing it safe but it is a really bad thing to do, at least from a football point of view, which clearly is not the priority, given that everybody else around us is not playing it safe.

This is where football and business don't really work as in football you always need to invest keep moving forward and improving your squad never stand still but in business they'll look at recent performance and say well you don't need more because look at what you're doing right now.

Back in 2018 it felt like they didn't back Mourinho who they could have and signed the defenders he felt he needed and now in 2020 the same is happening to Ole but the difference is are they actually able to back him.

Ole might be a bit more willing to stay silent on this than Jose would because he loves the club and doesn't want to hurt it but he needs to say something to the fans about what has gone on this summer.

Depends what lesson they are trying to learn every year the dividend gets paid there's not really much pressure on the share price so they probably think why spend a fortune in an arms race we can't win. The owners and therefore the board are happy with 4th every season at the moment there is no real desire I see to put Utd back on the very top of the game because if there was Woodward wouldn't still be running the entire show.

Unless we have a spectacular end to the transfer window I do not think we will make top 4. In fact I dont think top 7 is assured. At that point using that logic they will be forced to spend money, probably twice as much. This was the time, as far as I am concerned, to really push on but they are failing spectacularly. Maybe my heart is ruling my head but I will not be convinced otherwise.

Sancho will be rolling into town this evening........
It’s not happening my friend. The deal is as dead as a dodo. I retained hope up until a day or so ago but that hope has subsided.

Was it ever on?

Think any chance of this one died when Utd realised they had no chance of raising money through player sales this summer.

Be that 1 big sale like Pogba or lots of smaller sales like Dalot, Smalling, Rojo, Romero etc.

Once the club realised the money that would come in was going to be next to nothing I think they gave up on Sancho as a realistic target.

Money being tight is why I think we've waited to scrounge around on deadline day shopping for bargains we've sold next to no one so there's very little to spend.

I also think they valuation by Dortmund is unrealistic but they've got him under a long contract so really it's up to them to decide the price and Utd can't really moan about that.

Think any chance of this one died when Utd realised they had no chance of raising money through player sales this summer.

Be that 1 big sale like Pogba or lots of smaller sales like Dalot, Smalling, Rojo, Romero etc.

Once the club realised the money that would come in was going to be next to nothing I think they gave up on Sancho as a realistic target.

Money being tight is why I think we've waited to scrounge around on deadline day shopping for bargains we've sold next to no one so there's very little to spend.

I also think they valuation by Dortmund is unrealistic but they've got him under a long contract so really it's up to them to decide the price and Utd can't really moan about that.
Yep, it does look like you called it all right for the last few weeks. Stayed grounded whereas some of us were like kids in a sweet shop. Smarmy b******

If that's true, and they knew weeks ago, why are we scrapping around the dregs on deadline day. I read earlier Cavani not played since March

If that's true, and they knew weeks ago, why are we scrapping around the dregs on deadline day. I read earlier Cavani not played since March

Because clubs hold out until deadline day then drop prices or accept loan deals when previously they wanted sales.

Just the way business gets done in football.

For Cavani it might be in August he wants 300k and a 3 year deal now in October it’s 200k and a 2 year deal. In August his demands are out of our reach but by October they become appealing.

Utd have probably been trying to sell Periera and Dalot but eventually we had to accept pretty mediocre loan deals for these guys.

If you’re cash rich you can pay premiums and do business early but clearly we aren’t so we’ve had to go to the wire in the game of chicken so let’s see how we come out in the end.

It has been a bit of a clusterf***

This is probably what Woodward meant when he said we could do things in the transfer market that other teams can only dream of.

I reckon we are gonna go in for Sarr before the domestic deadline, and get ripped of into the bargain as well.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I agree, I don't think we'll get Sancho now.

Next summer more clubs will show an interest so why pick united, especially if they don't make CL.

It will all depend on what Dortmund say about his price I don't see any club being able to spend £110m next summer either that price will have to drop to reflect the market.

The only realistic situation I see at this point is Madrid buy Mbappe and then Sancho goes to PSG as the replacement but that feels like a bit of a sideways step. Even then I'm not sure where Madrid suddenly magic up the cash to pay that sort of fee for Mbappe.

Covid has hit all the big clubs hard and it isn't over and Sancho is doing some great things but he needs to start doing Ronaldo sort of things to get clubs to go that big for him and banging in 40-50 goals off a wing.

Football will take a few years to recover from this and clubs needs to start reducing expectations on sales and players need to accept that wages are probably going to be coming down as well certainly until stadiums are back to maximum capacity.

you say that, Cavini is on over 200 grand a week to sit on the bench. That says we have money to spend

Apparantly we asked Sancho to take a pay cut ffs.

The club is run so badly on the footballing side it's really unblievable. Football is secondary at our club.

The problem is none of us really know the financial situation of the club. Obviously those games behind closed doors will have had an effect, incidentally they had my money for last season the end of the season before and I have not seen a penny of it back. I think in terms of spend we are something in the region of 8th in the league this window. Is that because we are skint? Maybe. Is it because we are being responsible? possibly. Is it because the owners prefer to line their own pockets? probably

Cavani is on a 1 year deal with a 1 year option on a free so he is still a cheap deal.

We all know the owners are going to line their pockets first we've known that for 15 years it's really annoying but it won't change so you just have to accept it's part of life as a Utd fan now we made the decision to stick around in 2005 rather than call it quits like many did then and have done since.

I can't stand the owners and I can't stand Woodward but when the club is losing £100m + of revenue off the books this season because of Covid I can understand why there isn't £110m + wages + agent fees to buy Sancho. As I said I long suspected the Sancho money was planned to come from the sale of Pogba and probably other squad players but when that no longer became possible there was no chance of this deal happening unless Dortmund massively dropped the price.

Personally I am relieved that this deal fell through. I still think Sancho needs to prove himself over a longer period of time before being valued at over £100m, plus it was more imperative to bring in a marquee centre-half in my opinion. Whilst I am disappointed on the whole by this transfer window, I hope that the fact United stuck to their guns over Sancho will go some way to deter other clubs from demanding ridiculously inflated prices for average players in the future. That is my hope but what the reality will actually be remains to be seen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back