Ivan Rakitic

Sideshow Bob

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I like Rakitic a lot but questions will be asked about his best years being behind him which is why Barca are prepared to move him on.

He's 31 years old will he be able to cope with the intensity of the premier league it's a different playing style to La Liga but he's not had to many injury problems during his career.

To me it's a deal that makes sense if we were getting him on a bosman or very cheap but the fee is reported to be 50m plus I imagine a very good contract it's a big gamble although Utd apparently value him at closer to 30m.

I think he'd bring a lot to the dressing room in terms of experience but it's a gamble.

It's a no from me.

I didn't think he looked that great at the WC, and his age should rule him out anyway.

It's a no from me.

I didn't think he looked that great at the WC, and his age should rule him out anyway.

Still think this squad needs a balance in terms of age there's a role for some experienced players in this squad.

It's all about motives is he coming for a pay day or is he coming because he wants to put Utd back on top?

I guess the way you find out the answer to this question is what's his current salary at Barca and what's he asking for from Utd?

If Barca are serious about 50m then I think we have to stay away.

I agree we need experience, but that is too old and he's not even that great a player.

31 isn't ideal but I guess you do your homework on his injury record and fitness some players can maintain high levels of fitness into the mid 30's he's not a player who's had a lot of injuries like RVP or Schweni but he is a player who's played a lot of football.

I think he's class you don't play 5 seasons in centre mid for Barcelona without being a quality player and before that he was part of a very good Sevilla side. In theory he'd be a league only player next season it's unlikely he'd play Europa league games and if he's retiring from international football he should be able to keep himself fit with getting plenty of rest.

My guess is he'd be the sort of guy you sign for 2 years then look to move on bit like we should be doing with Matic but my guess is Rakitic will be looking for big wages because if he wasn't my guess is Barca would be renewing his deal.

In summary we've asked Barca how much they want for him but we're not actually convinced he wants to come.

I doubt this is a true reflection of the story clubs don't waste their time talking to clubs about their players unless they've had the tip off from the agent that he's up for the move.

Rakitic was great a few years ago. His time is up. That Barcelona side is as done as he is. All of the players in that Barcelona side could have a victory lap somewhere playing in an easier, slower paced league, but the Premier League is not that.

Rakitic would be back up to Matic, who himself might be back up to D VDB. Even if Rakitic and Matic were fighting for the same spot, it makes zero sense for Rakitic to come to United and makes even less sense for United to sign him. No, next silly rumor.

Rakitic was great a few years ago. His time is up. That Barcelona side is as done as he is. All of the players in that Barcelona side could have a victory lap somewhere playing in an easier, slower paced league, but the Premier League is not that.

Rakitic would be back up to Matic, who himself might be back up to D VDB. Even if Rakitic and Matic were fighting for the same spot, it makes zero sense for Rakitic to come to United and makes even less sense for United to sign him. No, next silly rumor.

I mean the last post was literally about him going back to Sevilla so he's not coming here.

Utd apparently looking at him last summer but were told he wasn't really interested in a move to England.

I mean the last post was literally about him going back to Sevilla so he's not coming here.

Utd apparently looking at him last summer but were told he wasn't really interested in a move to England.
I mean, all you wrote was one sentence with no links, so no one has any clue if you're prognosticating, quoting, or talking out your hat. And I felt like commenting on Rakitic, so I did.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back