Is Mourinho trying to convert Herrera into a deep midfielder?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sideshow Bob

Do we think Mourinho is trying to convert Herrera into a midfielder that will play the deep role in a midfield two? Does he have the ability and temperament to play the role? Is he wasted in the role?

Do we think Mourinho is trying to convert Herrera into a midfielder that will play the deep role in a midfield two? Does he have the ability and temperament to play the role? Is he wasted in the role?

I think he's got the temperament and the ability... He's a good passer of the ball and he's got good energy plus can play clever one twos with people to work the ball up the field... So yeah he can play that role but I don't think it's his best position. But in this team and this system does Herrera have a choice but to try his best to settle in this role?

When Herrera started to move forward, Mourinho directed him back.

Think he's capable of playing there for sure. He's at an age now too where he should be taking more control of a game. Carrick at 34/35 a little past it. I said after last week that it was interesting he came on for Carrick in that role, Carrick was poor and Herrera coming on was interesting, he brings something different to the role to Carrick or Schneiderlin. Herrera can play any role in that midfield, if Mourinho fancies him there, who's to argue, and next Pogba could be an exciting combo.

Gary Neville said he was his MOTM yesterday. It's a role I think he can grow into and could be the making of him. Not your typical 6, he's like a mix between 6 & 8, a false 6. haha. Schneiderlin lacks the ability on the ball that Carrick and Herrera provide in the role. I didn't like Herrera playing as the 10 last season, spent most of his time with back to goal, think he's best when he's deep and can play the ball forward. Mourinho likes his teams to get the ball from back to front quickly and Herrera could be key to that. Offers more mobility than Carrick these days too.

Think MOTM is a stretch but I thought he did perform really well. His passing is a real strength for him and in a deep role he will get more time to pick out those passes. But he can also get forwards and thread some really nice passes through. I mean... His clip over the top for the Mata goal was a lovely pass. If that was Martial making the run he gets to the ball with his pace alone. I hope Sunday was a sign that we are going to see more of Herrera and he could really develop under Jose.

He did look good there, and if it means he plays, he will adapt. Might be the only role for him now Pogbas here as he surely will be the box to box in the 2 in the 4231 formation Jose likes

A Herrera-Pogba partnership excites me, whether it works or not we'll see. Just think both would benefit from having an extra man in the midfield with them and maybe that will be the case in the bigger games.

Well don't get too excited... Don't think we will see it much with old mop head about.

Oh dear... I mean I know Jose has said he really likes Fellaini but I was still hopeful he wouldn't be around much past the end of the season.
Seems like Fellaini will have a bigger role than we both envisaged

Looks like either Herrera or more likely Schneiderlin will be given a run out now Fellainis crocked

Status
Not open for further replies.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back