Is it Mourinho or the player? Or both?

Surely we should have a mix of younger players and experienced players? Surely they should care about the style of football because if the style is crap supporters moan, if the style is crap and results are bad, supporters are literally calling for the managers head and that causes friction within a club.

It's simple really, if the style is entertaining the fans will be on your side. Manchester United didn't get a 600m world wide fan base by playing negative dour football and never would have got those supporters if we hadn't been a good team to watch in the past.

We're currently LOSING young supporters who are choosing City to support over us as they grow up as they play great football and win. We do neither.

Yes it’s heart breaking to see young fans travelling to Brighton to watch rubbish. A club has to have an identity , a soul even. We need to forget about results for a while and get our soul back. Jose is a cul de sac at the moment.

I'm reading and listening to loads of stuff on Utd at the minute. What I'm understanding is that the players aren't happy with the style of play, so it's coming down to the managers tactics again. It doesn't matter what formation you play, if the tactics are wrong it wont work. Pogba's heat map shows he spent most of the Brighton game in his own half when he is our attacking player and Martial and Mata hovered over the half way line with Lukaku playing where a no.10 would. Thats negative tactics, we need to be higher up the pitch. The passing needs to be much quicker. I heard someone say on the radio yesterday, if Brighton lost the ball, they could have each done their shoe laces up, jogged over to have a chat with Houghton and still got back in time for Utd to pass the ball into midfield. Laughable.

Jose came out and said the players aren't happy, I wouldn't be happy playing defensive football as a winger (back in the day lol) either. Jose has to sort this out. He's worried, rightly, that the defence won't cope if the midfield don't offer protection but it's killing us going forward. I think we've got to get going, if we ship 3 we score 4! The fans would love the entertainment too!
Spot on , agree with all of it.

Pogba spent most of his time in our half becasue all his passes went to Brighton players or out of play. That is not tactics

I think Pogba was the only one prepared to take the ball off the defence once Periera went off as far as I could tell watching on TV we switched to 4-2-3-1 with Pogba alongside Fred and Lingard as a number 10. Pogba dropped deep to try and make things happen he couldn't because his passing was poor but it also felt like there was little to no movement in front of him as Brighton offer no space in behind and remaining compact between defence and midfield.

What Utd needed was what Scholes said patient build up keep feeding the wide players and sustaining attacks in waves of 2, 3 or 4 crosses into the box in quick succession. They couldn't do that because Brighton pressed really well but they also had Murray who was dominating our 2 centre backs so when they did clear it we didn't recover and come again.

that actually makes no sense at all

what doesn't make sense, how can we sustain pressure in the oppsing half when a lot of the balls forward miss their player or go out of touch. Martial received one pass in 45 mins.

For me it was often a basic issue of tempo and pressing. Brighton pressed and competed for the ball with intensity whereas we didn’t do that to them. Everything happened way too slowly. The ball got moved slowly and sideways far too often and we didn’t do anything to make them uncomfortable.

Once a team starts doing these things then it can change everything. You start winning the ball in different areas and space opens up. Compare this with our main rivals who do things much more quickly and compete more vigorously. They play football , we play slow motion chess with slippers in comparison. This can’t be put down to individuals , it’s tactics and the manager.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back