Is a 2 goal lead ever enough?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scholesy18

I've been of the opinion for many years that a 2 goal lead in a football match is never enough. I'm never comfortable with it. That 3rd goal cushion has to be there for me to relax. Why am I of this opinion, you may ask. Well, at 2-0, for example, it only takes the opposition team to score a goal for them to be back in the match-and that goal gives them the impetus to push on for the equaliser. This has happened only too recently, not once but twice for us, which only backs up what I believe.
So-am I on my own with this or are there fans out there who agree that a 2 goal lead just isn't enough?

Scholesy18

The United of the last 2 decades would see a 2 goal lead as a guaranteed 3 points, and if there was a 2 goal deficit, wed be disappointed with a draw

Also, 3 goal leads depends. When we beat Spurs 5-3, Spurs were leading 2-0 in first half stoppage time, when they went 3-0 up on the stroke of half time, I remember the commentators saying " well if Fergsuon wasnt already going to kick them up the back side, then now he really is going to explode" At half the time the analysts were under the impression that United need an early goal to get back in it.

Terry Paine said that if United were to score within 5 minutes then they can draw, and Gary Bailey responded that if United score within 5 minutes then its a win for United and nothing less.

We scored within 5 minutes, and the rest is history

JSNFRMN

2-0 up wouldn't be safe for most teams but it should be enough for us. Hopefully now we've realised it isn't safe, it will give us incentive to push on and be more clinical, don't stop scoring until the FT whistle.

Status
Not open for further replies.