Inter reject €65m bid for CB Skriniar

Never heard of Skriniar either. Wikipedia says he's 23 years old. Haven't we signed one 23 year old CB a year ago, who's still taking his time adapting?

If we are to sign a CB this summer, I'd rather we bring in someone experienced (especially in CL) and preferably from PL. I wouldn't gamble on another young prospect. I'd rather give a chance to Fosu-Mensah than this Skriniar. I'd love to see a CB pair of Bailly and Fosu-Mensah during pre-season!

Yeah not sure how his transfer value can triple in 12 months either he’s only had 1 season Inter.

I tend to agree we’ve signed two young CBs in Lindelof & Bailly who’ve struggled for different reasons feels like a more experienced organiser is required if someone is coming in this summer.

Wouldn’t surprise me if Inter are trying to flog him because of their FFP problems.

Alderwiereld for me ticks all the boxes but if Spurs really are asking for 70m then I can see why Utd are considering alternatives, good CBs are hard to find these days can’t think of any who might be available in the PL who I’d want.

Latest one I’ve seen us linked to is Boateng from Bayern apparently they’re considering selling him this summer he’d tick all the boxes for me but he’s too injury prone.

Seen him a few times for Inter and he was very impressive. I don’t think he’s the quickest in the world which could hinder him but he is tactically aware and more importantly he is one of the modern centre backs who is very good on the ball.

It’s quite a fee for a guy who has had one season at Inter but he was class for Sampdoria before that. I would be more than happy to see him come here but not sure Inter are going to let him go at any price.

Italian defenders never really work out in the EPL.
Boatang looked well off the pace tonight for the Germans.

We need to look elsewhere or do a good deal for Alderwireld

How many Italian defenders have we had in England? Italians generally like the English stay in their own country.

He’s Slovakian anyway.

I can’t really remember many central defenders coming here from the Italian leagues apart from a couple of flops like Materazzi and Roque Junior.

Anywhoo it is always a risk bringing in foreign players from any league but I would be more inclined to trust defenders from the Italian league because their coaches drill in on the defensive side. I’ve only seen this guy a few times but he looks the real deal.

Panucci had a spell at Chelsea, Festa was at Middlesborough for a bit but as others said Italian players tend not to travel abroad often the only top Italian defender I can think of who played outside of Italy was Cannavaro when he went to Madrid. The Italians are a bit like the English tend not to travel to well and enjoy the comforts of home I think that's partly because the Italian clubs don't mind selling to each other, the only Italian who I think maybe left while still in his prime was Zola when he came to Chelsea there were a few other older guys who came for a bit of a pay day but Zola was the only one still in his prime.

At least someone has seen him play it does sound like Utd are looking at alternatives to Alderwiereld because of the price, I'm actually quite interested to see how Lindelof does at the world cup for Sweden.

At least someone has seen him play it does sound like Utd are looking at alternatives to Alderwiereld because of the price, I'm actually quite interested to see how Lindelof does at the world cup for Sweden.

Will he play at centre back though? I haven’t seen Sweden since the last major championships but correct me if I’m wrong, in the Euro’s they played him at right back?

Will he play at centre back though? I haven’t seen Sweden since the last major championships but correct me if I’m wrong, in the Euro’s they played him at right back?

I think he did (I went to a Sweden game at euro 2016 and have no memory of him playing) but he played at CB in the playoff games vs Italy and was excellant as Sweden played a very back to the wall style to keep the Italian's out.

From memory he broke into the Benfica team as a right back before moving to the centre.

Latest one I’ve seen us linked to is Boateng from Bayern apparently they’re considering selling him this summer he’d tick all the boxes for me but he’s too injury prone.

I'd be 100% on board with Boateng. I know he's injury prone but my god when he's healthy he's good. Such a great passer of the ball and I feel his experience could really help to bring along Bailly and Lindelof.

I'd be 100% on board with Boateng. I know he's injury prone but my god when he's healthy he's good. Such a great passer of the ball and I feel his experience could really help to bring along Bailly and Lindelof.

It's injuries though which is why Bayern are considering letting him go, got a history of signing injury prone players from Bayern though so why not.

Last 3 seasons in all comps he's played 31, 21 & 31 games which for your number 1 centre back at a club that plays around 50 games a season is worrying.

Yep always used to be around Xmas they'd drop like flies and we'd end up cobbling together some mad back 3. Think we played Fletcher Carrick Evra as a back 3 at one point because Rio, Vidic, Evans, O'Shea or whoever was around at that point was out injured.

That's the only thing I like about Smalling is he's normally fit so you can rely on him and you know you'll be a 6/10 from him chucks in the odd 8/10 and every now and again has his 4/10 horror show but generally you can rely on a certain level of performance from him.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back